I have a question about a detector..

RugDoctor42

Greetings fellow searchers/finders,

A friend has a Garrett GTAX 1000 detetor she wants to sell. I am interested in this hobby very much. I did a bit of research but could not tell how old the model is or even the range of it's age. If it is in good working order, what is a fair price? Any assistance here is greatly appeciated.

RD42

I bought a GTA 1000 right before Christmas back in 1989, it is still working and is a very good detector. I'm not sure when the GTAX 1000 came out. Maybe some time around 1993-1996. I would say a fair price would be in the $200-$400 dollar range. Just my opinion.

A fair price for you or her :D:D:D:D ........depending on condition I think a hundered and a half would be Ok for both parties.....

I bought a GTA 1000 right before Christmas back in 1989, it is still working and is a very good detector. I'm not sure when the GTAX 1000 came out. Maybe some time around 1993-1996. I would say a fair price would be in the $200-$400 dollar range. Just my opinion.

haha, this didnt make sense to me, you bought it in 1989 and it came out in 93-96 :spin:

good hunting!

I called Garrett and was told that 200 to 300 dollars was the range. I got it for 125.00.:D Now I just have to learn how to use it......:)
RD42

welcome to the hobby

Welcome to the forum, RugDoctor..and the hobby! :tumble:

Dusty Eagle

Welcome to the forum RugDoctor. Sounds like you got a great deal to me. The GTA 1000 and the GTAX1000 are two different machines. The GTAX1000 is a newer version with better battery life. You sure would be hard pressed to find a better detector at that price. I think you are going to like it and find many worthwhile "treasures". Congratulations and good luck.:D

Hi Rug Doctor,

The Ultra GTA 1000 came out in 1991.

The GTAx 1000 came out in 1996, along with the:

Sea Hunter XL 500 Pulse
Grand Master Hunter CX II
Master Hunter CX
Freedom 2 Plus
Scorpion Gold Stinger
Master Hunter CX III
GTAX 500
GTAX 400

The GTAx 1000 was a big seller for Garrett. Real popular.
I thought it was too noisy. Could not get depth without all
kinds of noise. It drove me crazy. It was not sensative to
small gold either. I love to find jewelry so I got rid of it.

Garrett metal detectors are among the toughest metal
detectors made. But the plastic used in the GTAx 1000
was inferior. After 14 years the plastic is getting brittle.
This affects the electrinics to some degree because of
different factors. The battery holders weaken and brake.
Few are left that are not repaired more than once.

I think a fair price for the average GTAx 1000 is $50.

You'll have to live with it. It was bad enough when it was
newer.

Sorry for the negative response. It's not that I don't like
Garrett metal detectors.

I just didn't like the GTAx line of MD's.

Happy Hunting,

Thanks all for your responses.

I found my first penny this morning. A wheatie that I am unable to see the date on, as of right now. If anyone has one of these GTAx 1000's out there, let me know as I would like to dial it in real good.

Happy Hunting,

RD42

Back
Top Bottom