New to forum New to detecting

You've got yourself two solid pieces of detecting equipment. Take your time and learn the machine. Watch as many videos as you can find. Most of all enjoy the hobby. The fun is in the hunt. What you find is lagniappe.

Just picked up a mxt pro also a whites trx.
Did I go wrong with this setup ?

Congrats! That is a great, single frequency VLF, inland detector for soil with little to moderate ground mineralization. Get to know your machine well, read and re-read the manual, plant your test targets and listen to how the machine responds. Be sure to plant a good silver or gold target next to a large nail(s) so you can learn how to disc out the nail and still hear the good stuff.

Once you do your own planted tests, you'll quickly overcome the learning curve. It will also really help you when you hunt in areas with heavy mineral deposits or at salt water beaches...both of which are going to play havoc on single frequency VLF detectors. When you get to those areas, you'll need to decrease the sensitivity to avoid erroneous signals and chatter. For more info on beach hunting, check out this thread or the Forum's beach section. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=248905

Welcome to the forum! I have never ran the MXT Pro myself buty have heard enough good things about it to know it is a solid machine. I have ran the TRX pin pointer and was happy with its performance.

You made a good choice in detectors. The MXT Pro is a solid machine and once you learn it, you will find lots of good stuff. Just take your time and be patient. I love Whites machines and have been very successful with them in the past. The TRX is a good pinpointer and I never had a problem with it.

I'm still swinging the MXT Pro. Excellent machine. On my last hunt I found a silver button and a really nice V Nickel and three wrist watches. All in a place that has been pounded by Minelab fbs machines. Part of that is I know my machine well and places are very rarely hunted out. But some of that credit goes to an excellent machine.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

Welcome! You have made some great choices. You picked an awesome hobby and very good equipment. I had an MXT Pro at one time; very good machine. The TRX is a very nice pinpointer. Good luck and Happy Hunting :D

Welcome, from what I have heard you have two great pieces of equipment to start out. Good luck

I was out with my MXT Pro yesterday, using the 5.3 coil rather than the stock 9.5" coil. If you are detecting in areas with lots of trash (I was detecting a baseball park, parts of which seem to be literally carpeted with pull tabs), this is a good setup. The 9.5" coil is good too, don't get me wrong. And the ID screen is usually pretty accurate. Learn what the numbers are telling you, and the tones. Experiment with the different settings in the coin mode and the relic mode (personally, I like the relic mode most of the time). The machine is not a quiet operator, and the chatter did irritate me at first. Learn to properly ground balance it, which isn't hard once you know how - see the training videos, they explain it pretty well. I'm learning the Deus, but I can see the MXT will still have a place and purpose. And it is GREAT that you started out with a good pinpointer. I went a long time without one, didn't figure I really needed it - boy was I wrong! After having one I won't leave home without it again!

Back
Top Bottom