Tumbler Advice

off the iron

Elite Member
I'm hoping to get some input on tumblers.

What kind do you guys like best, what types of cleaners do I put in to clean the coins, oil soap like Murpheys?

I've got close to 100$ in clad from detecting this year that I'd like to start cleaning once I'm frozen out for the winter.

Thanks

literally just bought a hf 3lb single tumbler on sale for $32 running right now with some gravel and dawn will let you know how it turns out in a couple hours.. I also made a home made contraption with a washing machine motor tried using a router speed control not a good idea slowed it down but motor started smoking, lol will eventually get a bigger pulley on the drive side to slow it down enough hopefully if not it will be turned into a polisher for larger finds or it'll ring up as iron on someone elses MD :laughing:

there is a youtube video of a guy who made one with a broken canon printer if you have one you don't use lying around

My 3lb tumbler is awesome so far used gravel I found in a parking lot near by lol it was just for clad but have a batch of quarters being cleaned with sand I imagine the sand will take longer. The other batches I ran for 1-2 hrs and they were more than clean enough to be put back into circulation

I have a Loretone 33 two-drum tumbler that I use continually cleaning coins, head stamps, or anything else I need cleaned. You won't be sorry you spent the extra money to get one.

The cheap dual drum tumbler that Harbor Freight carries on their website works really well for me. I've heard others say that their belts break on them every so often but I've never had one break yet. They're around 50$ but usually you can find coupons for 10-20% off as well. Never had any issues with these for years or had to replace it except for when my house burns down.

Lortone 40 lb capacity tumbler.. I do rocks though :P

Did you say "40 lb"? I thought it was a typo. That's a lot of rocks! I just ordered a Lortone 3 lb model. I don't find much clad, but like the fact that Lortone still makes them in the US. Curt

I second Azmodeus's post. I bought the dual barrel tumbler from Harbor Freight two years ago and use it for my clad findings. The trick regarding the belts on those units is that some have become dry from sitting around for a while in stock or are loose on the pulleys. Its just 4 screws to reach the belts and when I received mine I sprayed some WD40 on the belts and checked to make sure they were tight (not too tight) and that the pulleys were lined up and not angled. She has been humming along for 2 years without issue with regular aquarium gravel.

Other items of note:

-Tumble your pennies separate from your other clad (otherwise you will tarnish your quarters, dimes and nickels)

- For quick clean, you can use regular vinegar and a tablespoon of salt and tumble for 30 min. I usually let it tumble for 15 min, stop stir up the barrel contents using an old screwdriver I have and then tumble for another 15 min. Vinegar and salt are cheap to get and do a nice clean up job. Do a search on youtube as many have posted videos using this combo.

Hope that helps!
-TwoYewts

A Harbor Freight single drum 3lb tumbler is all I need. No issues with the belt, but do have difficulty getting the metal cap over the rubber end of the drum.
I have tried many concoctions. I have settled on dish soap and aquarium gravel, which has to be changed when the stones become rounded off. If I need to clean and shine clad to like new I use vinegar. But don't leave it in the drum, as it will degrade the rubber.

Has anyone ever used walnut shells as a cleaning medium in their tumblers. Could possibly be a useful medium on some items. I saw it used to tumble the inside of a wing tank on a P51 years ago It was pretty crusyy on the inside and it cleaned it beautifully. Just a thought.

Has anyone ever used walnut shells as a cleaning medium in their tumblers. Could possibly be a useful medium on some items. I saw it used to tumble the inside of a wing tank on a P51 years ago It was pretty crusyy on the inside and it cleaned it beautifully. Just a thought.

Probably best for precious metals, no personl exp. Did see a knife maker use it in a vibrating tumbler to remove burrs from cnc'd handles he made worked for him. Id imagine it took a while

Harbor frieght

Dual Tumblers, catch them on sale, get two, 4 barrels rolling, done, happy cleaning , Earl

Attachments

• 20111102_1.JPG
    20111102_1.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 635
I should have spent the extra $ 10 on the dual but figured ifbit was garbage id lose 10 less $

I have 2 Harbor Freight tumblers 1 vibrating tumbler and 1 dual drum tumbler.

IMO I'll take the drum tumbler over the vibrating tumbler any day as far as cleaning coins go..Had both tumblers for about 3 years---No problems at all with the belts on the dual drum tumbler...Vibrating tumbler came apart a couple of times

For a tumbling medium I've used everything from Walnut hulls. (Which comes in different grit ) to aquarium gravel and everything between...IMO "poultry grit" is one of the best tumbling medium there are---Comes in two sizes Starter grit and regular grit...Starter grit is a little small and not as sharp as regular grit...Cheap to 6 to 7 bucks for a 50 # bag---I still keep some aquarium gravel around for when I run out of grit.

Here'e what I use when cleaning coin's---Couple hand fulls of coins---same with grit or gravel---cover with water--shot of liq. soap ---same with vinegar-
little salt and shot of CLR.

Use a harbor freight tumbler, white aquarium gravel, salt, vinegar and 30 minutes of tumbling per batch. Keep clad with clad and pennies with pennies unless you want pink clad. Do not place anything valuable in this process unless you want junk in return. the gravel and salt will destroy wheaties and sliver.

Fill the tumbler with a hand full of gravel, and a hand full or to of coins and pour in vinegar so it covers the top of the coins and gravel by a half inch. Add two table spoons of salt and tumble for half an hour. Rinse the coins in water to remove any left over salt and vinegar to stop tarnishing. If they do tarnish soak them in straight vinegar for five minutes to bring out the shine and rinse in water. Works like a champ.

Great Tumbler

I have a lot of success with the Chicago 3lbs Rotary Rock Tumbler.
Purchased at Harbor Freights.

Check out vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKzgYAMrdk4

I tumbled over 253 dollars in change last weekend.
Took to the bank and ran through the coin machine.
Navy Federal has you swipe in and it sends your deposit directly to your account.

Out of $253.00 only 6 cents was not accepted. Hit by a mower I guess.

I have been following this thread as I was wondering if I should get a vibrating tumbler. I have been using my home made tumbler and so far it is working good. It sounds like the rotary tumbler works better, so I'll just stick with that. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom