Rewarding Feeling

ollievon

Elite Member
Hey all, last year I was detecting near a college campus and hit a deep silver tone - dug down about 7" and pulled out a sterling silver ID bracelet. I was pretty psyched, there was a full name on it, and an ID number (not SSN), the reverse said "Cora 1945". I decided to do the right thing and take it to the alumni office and see if anyone by the name had attended the college, indeed they did!

The person graduated in 1948 and the college had a contact phone number down in Florida for the alum, however, he never answered and there was no voicemail. On a recent trip down to Florida last month, the alumni director decided to find the address of the alum and see if he was home, unfortunately as fate would have it, he died in November 2017.

His spouse Cora was still alive, although she was in a nursing home suffering from dementia - luckily their son was home and welcomed the find. After a little digging the son decided to send discharge papers that matched the bracelet ID, pretty amazing. The family plans on bringing it to the mother in the nursing home and seeing if it jogs her memory since it was most likely a gift for him while heading off to war.

Yes, I could have kept the ID and sold it at a jewelry store for a few bucks, but that isn't want this hobby is always about - monetary treasure. Finding lost items that have value, authentic "value" to someone else is always far more rewarding in my opinion, even if it is the next of kin.

I'm hoping you all have this experience in this hobby at least once, it's the best feeling in the world to reunite an item that is sentimental to the owner, or owners family.

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 99
Good for you! That is a great feeling, I've returned 5 class rings and it always nice to brighten someone's world. Congrats

Right? This is about the only pasttime I can think of that delivers this kind of strange potential?...Sure a person can volunteer for all sorts of things and make somebodies life better...but when a complete stranger finds something like a class ring or something else with a Familial history...Like this ID bracelet Ollie found, or the rings you did, or the various and wonderous finds Detectorists have done? And then goes to the trouble of doing a return?

Thats a rare experience...Puts a guy on a whole different perspective, unique cadre of "Seekers and Saviors of the Lost".....Whole different dynamic commences, takes us into a different realm of counting our blessings and what are we really here for....

Finding lost items that have value, authentic "value" to someone else is always far more rewarding in my opinion, even if it is the next of kin.

I'm hoping you all have this experience in this hobby at least once, it's the best feeling in the world to reunite an item that is sentimental to the owner, or owners family.

Happy hunting!

Thanks for sharing this story of a successful return- i would agree with you that this is indeed one of those 'best feeling in the World' moments. Not having found a class ring or item with identifying marks yet, i haven't had this experience through metal detecting... looking forward to it at some point.

We keep an eye out at resale shops etc for purple heart military medals- it's a lot easier these days to reunite them - and it usually means *more* to next of kin. It was a lot harder 20yrs ago; now there's a great online database and a lot more resources going into reuniting military medals with recipient family.

Back
Top Bottom