Few odds I've never posted

1916 is the oldest dog tag I've ever seen.

Used to live in Zullinger, Greencastle and later in Chambersburg in the 80's and early 90's. Worked at Letterkenny Army Depot. Always fun to go back and see how the area has changed.

Great finds.

What is fed odds?

That's funny, I'm a contractor in letterkenny.

Love those old padlocks dog tags and the crotal Bell. Thanks for showing us your fines. Happy hunting and good luck.

A Mallory Wheeler & Co. lock

Hi PAdiggerTom,

Your cool padlock was made by Mallory Wheeler & Co out of Connecticut. The lock type is "Wrought Iron Lever" and old timers called them "smokehouse locks". Mallory Wheeler was one of the major makers of this type of lock. The company was established in 1834 and went bankrupt in 1913. This info from the 1988 book "The Padlock Collector" by Franklin M. Arnall.

I found an eBay listing from December 2017 where someone sold a brass keyhole cover exactly like the one on your lock, for $10. Not sure what the lock might go for in 'dug' condition and without a key.
See https://www.ebay.com/itm/1834-1913-...yeHLBs%2F1bsBDOOVjgY4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Very cool lock. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Hi PAdiggerTom,

Your cool padlock was made by Mallory Wheeler & Co out of Connecticut. The lock type is "Wrought Iron Lever" and old timers called them "smokehouse locks". Mallory Wheeler was one of the major makers of this type of lock. The company was established in 1834 and went bankrupt in 1913. This info from the 1988 book "The Padlock Collector" by Franklin M. Arnall.

I found an eBay listing from December 2017 where someone sold a brass keyhole cover exactly like the one on your lock, for $10. Not sure what the lock might go for in 'dug' condition and without a key.
See https://www.ebay.com/itm/1834-1913-...yeHLBs%2F1bsBDOOVjgY4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Very cool lock. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Hey thank you for that info, I never looked up the lock. To bad it wasn't operational shape and with the key.

A great mix of items... if i had a "Relics Bucket List" - crotal bell & wax stamp would be on it for sure! Any idea what the item with the two 'Star of David' cut-outs is?

I too always wanted to find a wax stamp and was happy to find this one, and is the only I've found yet. I think it got caught in a fire because I can't quite get a clear print. Not 100% sure on date but got an idea. Honestly surprised how rare they are to find.

Back
Top Bottom