Tumbler Advice

Cleaning coins

I have used soft axle grease in a tumbler when cleaning old Wheaties. Got to be in between thick grease and regular motor oil.

A Harbor Freight single drum 3lb tumbler is all I need. No issues with the belt, but do have difficulty getting the metal cap over the rubber end of the drum.
I have tried many concoctions. I have settled on dish soap and aquarium gravel, which has to be changed when the stones become rounded off. If I need to clean and shine clad to like new I use vinegar. But don't leave it in the drum, as it will degrade the rubber.

X2
Works for me!
HH Larry

I just today bought a dual drum Harbor Freight for out the door for a little over $47. The tumbler is on sale and go out on the web and get a 20% coupon and you're good to go. Have a vibratory but doesn't work good on coins, but works darn good on other stuff.

I just today bought a dual drum Harbor Freight for out the door for a little over $47. The tumbler is on sale and go out on the web and get a 20% coupon and you're good to go. Have a vibratory but doesn't work good on coins, but works darn good on other stuff.
Thanks that is the info I needed. I'll stick to the regular tumbler.;)

I paid less than $25 for a cheapo kiddies plastic rock tumbler that came with stones and bling. Has about a one-quart tumbler and is gear-driven. I've used it for five years now and it's still going strong. I use one-third aquarium gravel, a drop or two of dish soap, and enough water to just cover the gravel and coin.

Yep best I've found. HF tumbler, fish gravel and dish soap ~ 2-3 hr tumble....

printer tumbler

This is what i made from a goodwill $ 3.00 printer its going on 4 years now and I cant be leave it still works great even with the belt about the size of a rubber band I would guess it has tumbled at least $700.00 in dirty clad. , a few hours per batch.

Great Advice. I had heard about HF tumblers but appreciate the actual experiences shared. Guess I'll be getting one!

Back
Top Bottom