Another electrolysis question

JWalker3

Forum Supporter
Having some bad weather this weekend WNY. So I read some threads in the forum, watched some youtubes and dug through some old electronics on hand. I had no troubles getting it to work or setting it up. Whola, I'm doing electrolysis!
So I tried experimenting on some wheats that are pretty bad to bad to begin with and not key dates. After doing some trial and error I noticed that where I clipped the alligator clip to the coins there are some slight marks from the Electrolysis action. My first thought was to use a different clamp on the coin that grabbed the coin on the sides since the sides of coins usually are cleaner than say the face and back of the coin. I haven't tried buffing them out, but I wondered if you guys doing electrolysis on coins get this also(?) and is there a way you use to avoid it?

I got into electrolysis a few months ago. Corrosion builds up on the alligator clip and seems to burn into the coin. I learned the hard way. One solution, assuming your clip is filed free of teeth, is to use sand paper to clean the contact surface area, and clip to the rim of the coin. DamangRon has helped me out in this area and suggested using paper clips. Put the coin in a clip and hook the alligator to that. The current runs right through the clip and you can just toss it when it gets corroded. Hope this helps.

I got into electrolysis a few months ago. Corrosion builds up on the alligator clip and seems to burn into the coin. I learned the hard way. One solution, assuming your clip is filed free of teeth, is to use sand paper to clean the contact surface area, and clip to the rim of the coin. DamangRon has helped me out in this area and suggested using paper clips. Put the coin in a clip and hook the alligator to that. The current runs right through the clip and you can just toss it when it gets corroded. Hope this helps.

Thanks Stevo, My alligator clip HAS teeth in it, should I have filed them down flat and did you mean use the sand paper on the clip. I would not want to sand or file the coin. I do like the suggestion on the paper clip and will try that on a coin tonight.

Thanks Stevo, My alligator clip HAS teeth in it, should I have filed them down flat and did you mean use the sand paper on the clip. I would not want to sand or file the coin. I do like the suggestion on the paper clip and will try that on a coin tonight.

If you intend to use the alligator clip to hold the coin, file the teeth off and periodically clean the contact surfaces on it with sandpaper. If you intend to use paperclips, no filing is needed, since the alligator clip won't be in contact with the coin.

Back
Top Bottom