Detecting being banned in places....

Jack Flynn

Elite Member
I was reading on another forum about detecting being banned in Charleston S.C. on several beaches and public properties pretty much, relics! I'm relatively new to detecting, a little over three years. What I have seen and it really disturbs me in that time is the slaughter of peoples land and public places all for the sake of finding that bullet or button or buckle. What I have noticed is the indiscriminate use of shovels in these places. Dig a big chunk of dirt, flip it out, get whats in the chunk, and then one kick to supposedly thinking they are covering up the hole. Looks like dayum hogs have been rooting in these places. Several great places here in my town have been after less than a week of this indiscriminate madness with shovels became off limits to people with metal detectors. What the heck are these people thinking? They just say well can't detect there no more.................. Reminds me of the all out no holds barred efforts of people to kill the biggest buck so to speak............... Some have no respect for anything in there all out pursuit of what they want to find. They are dumb to what they are doing themselves, and to people who strive to do "The right thing" to preserve what we love to do.

It is just human nature, I guess, for some folks to not give a hoot about anyone but themselves!! When it gets out of control the people who are responsible for taking care of the parks, schools etc. have no choice but to close them to all!! It is a shame!!

Right on brother your preaching to the choir here. It isnt only MDing for me but all of our forests here. People come and camp and leave lots of trash or trash in bags as if Waste Management is coming to get it. I have filled my pickup bed a few times with it. I think our society is degrading into a third world country anymore, I am hoping I am wrong but it doesnt appear that way. It seems Common Courtesy is a very uncommon commodity.

Sometimes MD is banned because some uneducated nit wit decides to go to the tot lot wielding this:

3600655468_09ca98460a.jpg

Or it may be because someone in the government has a wild hair in their behind and thinks that taking old things from the ground is no worse then digging up a dead body.

I would not mind paying $10 a year for a metal detecting permit if that means the less chance of someone digging 2 foot deep holes and ruining it for the rest.

Remember that you represent the hobby, go out to a tot lot with a shovel and people will think the worse. Go out to a tot lot with a small trowel, and neatly fill your holes, people will think that your being careful.

I don't even take my Lesche out to tot-lots anymore since they are pea gravel and shredded rubber tires. It's actually faster to scoop the stuff to the side with your hand and check the pile with your PP. Nothing there? One scoop back refills the "hole" and nobody can tell the difference with all the footprints there.

Dusty

Back
Top Bottom