Silver #207 is a gorgeous 1922 Peace Dollar!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Have not had a chance to detect in a couple of weeks, as have been away from home on an antiques buying trip to the midwest and upper east coast. Sure saw a lot of places I would love to hunt! Pennsylvania and the mid New York State area have tons of homes, many that looked abandoned, just ripe for detecting! Nothing like here in Montana where you are lucky to find a home from the 1890's!

Finally got a chance to head out today, grabbed the AT Pro and headed up to Missoula to try some curb strips and yards. Not much, slim pickings, with only the usual clad, some wheat pennies, and a 1946 Silver Rosie (#205). Coolest find was a nice 1953 Missoula Dog Tax tag.

Headed back home and decided to hunt a local ball field where I had gotten permission from the city, as it is locked up at all times. A city worker met me and unlocked the gate, which I locked when I left. This baseball field and grandstands were built around 1915, and I had high hopes for many good coins. As it turned out, the field definitely had been hunted before, and I think the soil and grass worked on a few times. As I started detecting, I was finding LOTS of coins, but all were clad dimes and quarters, and copper Memorials. Finally, right near right field fence, I pulled out a 1946 Silver Washington (#206).

After finding more clad quarters and dimes, I got a "96-97" signal on the AT Pro... right.... I wondered what kind of bazinga I was going to find. I moved 90 degrees and swept the target again, this time a solid 92-93. Hmmm... Cut the plug, dug down about 5 inches, and a gorgeous 1922 Silver Peace Dollar showed up in the hole! I was amazed, shocked, and very happy! This example looks like it was dropped on the way home from the mint, with original luster and great details. This is my second Silver Dollar this year, both are 1922 Peace Dollars. Anyway, hope this is of interest and thanks for reading, happy hunting to everyone!

Attachments

• silver4.jpg
    silver4.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 357
  • silver3.jpg
    silver3.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 333
  • silver1.jpg
    silver1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 318
  • silver2.jpg
    silver2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 348
BAM!!! That’s the way to do it! :wow:

Congrats, a major milestone I hope to achieve some day! Nice you have a great permission there!

Like the dog license too. But that Peace..... wow!

Thanks GroundSweeper! Yes, I do have lots more ball field to check. What is weird is the clad coins are just as deep or even deeper than the few wheaties and that Silver Quarter and Silver Dollar. I think the ground may have been turned over and re-shaped at one time.

Anyway, hope this is of interest and thanks for reading, happy hunting to everyone!

Yeah. It is "of interest" alright! First of all, huge congrats on the big, minty '22!! Also congrats on the other silvers and the old dog tag. Haven't seen a silver GW in a while now. Lastly, of interest, is your total of 207! Wow! I guess you do love the shiny! :lol: Keep 'em comin'...

Thanks JAK!

Thank you Foragist! Yes, I do "love the shiny" and make that my goal to find each time I head out to detect. #207 for the year is a beauty and I am grateful to make that find!

That's just a dang beautiful peace dollar.. I would have soiled my drawers...

Thanks Tilton!

Thanks joe dert! Yep, I was sure surprised as I wasn't expecting that big shiny!

Last edited:
Wow! David, you are doing it up big time. Congrats on your 2nd Peace Dollar. Not that you don't deserve a congrats for the Rosie and the Silver GW. Looking forward to see what you come up with next. Trapper

Thanks Trapper, appreciate the kind words! Hope to get in a few more hunts at the ball field, and many more locally here before the Big Freeze hits about mid November.

Beautiful coin! And impressive 207 total.
I've found 4 silver rosies now and 1 merc but so far, no other silver coinage. You continue to give me hope!

I definitely found your post "of interest"!! Thanka for the write up and pictures. I've had great success at an old ballfield that is kept locked most of the time also. Was that silver dollar out in the middle of the outfield or masked under some chain link fence?

Thanks metaladdict, am thankful to make good finds once in a while!

Thanks Stiffwrists! The silver quarter was about a foot away from a chain link fence in Right Field, the Silver Dollar was about 15' in from that same fence in the same area of the outfield. So far that is the only area where I have found any old coins.

Back
Top Bottom