Ground Balancing around objects....

Lavishlogos

Hello,

I have a Garrett AT Gold. I have a question. On some properties I have been detecting, the sidewalk makes my detector go off. I would like to be able to detect next to the sidewalk. If I were to ground balance my machine right on top of the concrete, would it then block that out so I could detect next to it?

If so, does this method work if say I wanted to detect next to a metal fence?

Thank you.

Is that still no for the sidewalk? Assuming its not rebar in the sidewalk. I also tried to detect an old site that used to have a stone building. All the leftover stone bricks would be ringing up on the detector....

What would be the best way to discriminate these out?

Still no on the sidewalk and don't assume rebar is not causing your problem because that is usually the culprit.
What to do?
You can lower your sense some and it might be possible to get a little closer to the problem areas.
A small coil also can help in situations like this but the conditions you describe will overpower most detectors.
There are some exceptions.
A Tesoro Compadre, and now it's close cousin the Mojave, has an uncanny superpower where it can get real close to large metal and still double beep on targets that are super close as you swing over them.
There is a reason they are known to be the choice when hunting in tot lots and next to bench legs and fence lines.
They also can get real close to the edge of concrete with rebar...closer than most.
Many have recommended that everyone should have a Compadre in their arsenal specifically for tasks like these.

There are others that have hit on combinations of coils and settings that work ok using different detectors and brands but this is just one of those things that you just need to deal with the best way you can and no matter what it will never be optimum or perfect.

Still no on the sidewalk and don't assume rebar is not causing your problem because that is usually the culprit.
What to do?
You can lower your sense some and it might be possible to get a little closer to the problem areas.
A small coil also can help in situations like this but the conditions you describe will overpower most detectors.
There are some exceptions.
A Tesoro Compadre, and now it's close cousin the Mojave, has an uncanny superpower where it can get real close to large metal and still double beep on targets that are super close as you swing over them.
There is a reason they are known to be the choice when hunting in tot lots and next to bench legs and fence lines.
They also can get real close to the edge of concrete with rebar...closer than most.
Many have recommended that everyone should have a Compadre in their arsenal specifically for tasks like these.

There are others that have hit on combinations of coils and settings that work ok using different detectors and brands but this is just one of those things that you just need to deal with the best way you can and no matter what it will never be optimum or perfect.

D27 gave the perfect reply to your question...You can get in tight, but you have to know what you are dealing with and how your coil/rig behaves accordingly....Set up right, experiment with how your coil and settings behave....

When you master this, you can pull amazing finds right up and tight to rebar sidewalks or big totlot iron...'Masked targets' we call them...Get good at that..its a skill that can make your year...Most folks dont take the time, get frustrated, so you have a window and a protected area you can work all to yourself...

In tight iron, Forget about hunting crisp textbook coin signals!..Or Tids! You are looking to carefully hear a strange disruption in the Force...an anomaly..

Hello,

I have a Garrett AT Gold. I have a question. On some properties I have been detecting, the sidewalk makes my detector go off. I would like to be able to detect next to the sidewalk. If I were to ground balance my machine right on top of the concrete, would it then block that out so I could detect next to it?

If so, does this method work if say I wanted to detect next to a metal fence?

There is a fringe field that is emitted by the coil. If you are using a concentric of circular DD coil, you can't get that close to the fence because the fringe field will pick up the fence. To get up close to metal, you need an elliptical coin. It has minimal fringe effect at the nose of the coil and allows you to get close to the fence.

As far as the sidewalk goes, if there are big metal pipes under the sidewalk, your detector is going to pick them up. Same is true for any sort of large iron object. Ground balancing won't help you in this case. You can't ground balance out large iron. ever.

Back
Top Bottom