Unusual question.

MFF18B

Im in Law Enforcement and one of my Detectives at the Department has asked me to purchase a detector to assist in evidence recovery (firearms, knives, spent shell casings etc.). Any thoughts on what direction I should go with a detector?
Thanks in advance for the assistance.

So if you are going to check for recent drops, just about any machine will work. I'd probably lean towards a Garrett ATPRO, simply because it's easy to use, pretty bulletproof, swatter proof and they have great customer service.

I agree. You want something easy to use. Depth is not important. The AT Pro is a rugged machine that can be used in the rain. It would be a good choice.

:fmdfwelcome: From what I know of the AT Pro, I agree that it would be a good choice.

Thank you for your service. :yes:

I agree with the AT Pro....easy to learn, and can do most of what higher end detectors can do. Only real downside would be saltwater...if you'll be searching there, that would be a problem.

Since Garrett has special unit just for this use.......why is there a question?

From what I understand, the CSI Pro has two search modes...AT Pro has 6. CSI Pro costs a couple hundred more.....but of course it DOES have that neat faceplate :)

CSI DOES come with the 5X8 coil though...but just that one coil

I would suggest a very simple low cost turn on and go detector (there are many to choose from) that anyone in the department could use with minimal training.

Audio only should work just fine as I would assume you would not pass up a target and take a chance it might be relevant. There is no single detector today that I know of that will consistently positively identify and seperate a specific target from trash as evidenced by our own junkpiles we gather trying to find something worthwhile using high dollar machines.

I have used 2500,AT PRO,F75 LTD, Racer 2,X-Terra 705,DFX and Equinox 800. The only detector I would recommend is the DFX,unless you think they might of dropped some change along with a knife or gun.

On the other hand, if I was a criminal I would recommend another detector other than the DFX, it gives me a better chance of not getting caught.

Im in Law Enforcement and one of my Detectives at the Department has asked me to purchase a detector to assist in evidence recovery (firearms, knives, spent shell casings etc.). Any thoughts on what direction I should go with a detector?
Thanks in advance for the assistance.

In most areas there are clubs with experienced metal detector users that are willing to devote free time in assisting law enforcement any time needed. They can also help you to learn what ever detector you choose.

My first choice detector for that line of work would be White's DFX using mixed mode.

Not waterproof. That means no looking for evidence in the pouring rain. AT Pro would be just the thing. Relatively inexpensive (definitely cheaper than DFX), waterproof, and easy to use.

I would suggest a very simple low cost turn on and go detector (there are many to choose from) that anyone in the department could use with minimal training.

^ This

Not waterproof. That means no looking for evidence in the pouring rain. AT Pro would be just the thing. Relatively inexpensive (definitely cheaper than DFX), waterproof, and easy to use.

iu

Dry land evidence recovery is easy. If scuba diving a Minelab excal or Fisher CZ 21.

First, thank you for your service.
After owning 3 at Pros it would not be my choice. Although I would recommend the Minelab Equinox 600. Easy to use and completely waterproof.
The Excal will null over iron and is slow to reset. So if your looking for ferrous metals, that would not be efficient.
Contacting a metal Detecting club would be a benefit as experienced members would get your officers up to speed more effectively.
Best of luck!

For those thinking waterproof detectors are the answer......you realize PDs have access to certified divers with their own gear, don't you?

I mean, if they picked-up a WP detector, are they then going to train all users for diving too?

They're looking for drops, throw downs, shell casing, etc. evidence. Not 20 year old Unsolved Mysteries.

Back
Top Bottom