Anyone ever take down a Hogzilla with a .357 Magnum?

itsaring!

24K Larry
Forum Supporter
Reason why I ask is because instead of going detecting, I went fossil hunting. Place I went today has a lot of wild hogs. Never saw them before in person except big tracks and wallows. Well today I saw them!:shock: Two of them look like freakin' black bears:wow::shock: I know there is an old story out here been around since I was a kid about two people in an old house not far from me who were killed and eaten by hogs. Just wondering if I get charged and have to shoot one of these beasts in the head if I'm gonna be lunch:shock:

don't corner em they're mean
they'll eat anything even you

I saw the biggest one first. He wasn't in any hurry to go anywhere. I was making sure I had some deep water to run to and jump in. Don't think a hog will swim underwater after you? My tree climbing days are over. When I was a kid my dad went hog hunting with two other guys. The 30 30 round bounced off the hogs chest and one guy who didn't make it up a tree wound up with two butt cracks:shock:

I saw the biggest one first. He wasn't in any hurry to go anywhere. I was making sure I had some deep water to run to and jump in. Don't think a hog will swim underwater after you? My tree climbing days are over. When I was a kid my dad went hog hunting with two other guys. The 30 30 round bounced off the hogs chest and one guy who didn't make it up a tree wound up with two butt cracks:shock:

ya I don think they are scared of anything

If you are a good shot you can hill a hog with an airgun. Google "Hog Hunting with an Airgun" and watch the youtube vids.
I've got an RWS Diana Air Rifle and it is every bit as good as my .22 out to about 80 yards.

It is certainly another matter to shoot one while it is after you, so the .357 is not exactly overkill.

Joe

Hogs can be hard to take down unless you get a really good shot , not that they cant be killed with a small caliber but if they happen to be going after you a "good" shot could be impossible. The bigger the better.

If you are a good shot you can hill a hog with an airgun. Google "Hog Hunting with an Airgun" and watch the youtube vids.
I've got an RWS Diana Air Rifle and it is every bit as good as my .22 out to about 80 yards.

It is certainly another matter to shoot one while it is after you, so the .357 is not exactly overkill.

Joe

I'm not talking about an average hog. My nephew hunts those with a .22 cal. I'm talking about a hog over 400 pounds with armor plating. My buddy said he thought it was a 600 pounder:shock:

if you have to shoot one, it will be charging you. so ya better hit him in the head, between the eyes if a great place. and make no mistake about it...they WILL charge and chew you up if cornered or wounded.

just ask my nephew lol. he wounded a boar, and my son tracked the pig. when they found it, my nephew tried to shoot it in the head with his 45, and just shot a hole in the pigs ear. the hog charged him, and the only thing that saved my nephew , was my son putting a rifle bullet in the pigs neck as it ran past him, because the hog only had eyes for the guy trying to shoot him:laughing::laughing::laughing:

if you have to shoot one, it will be charging you. so ya better hit him in the head, between the eyes if a great place. and make no mistake about it...they WILL charge and chew you up if cornered or wounded.

just ask my nephew lol. he wounded a boar, and my son tracked the pig. when they found it, my nephew tried to shoot it in the head with his 45, and just shot a hole in the pigs ear. the hog charged him, and the only thing that saved my nephew , was my son putting a rifle bullet in the pigs neck as it ran past him, because the hog only had eyes for the guy trying to shoot him:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I may need one of those cricket guns from "Men in black":lol:

By the way. I've found where these hogs have ate big birds. Guess they kill them at night? Droppings we saw today, some had black hair in it. Guessing maybe a few hogs got ate by hogs.

357 at short range will be just fine...use wadcutter, not hollow points!

be carefull shooting at the head i have personaly bounced 30-30 slugs of that har noggin of theirs and they just get mad, your better off shooting mid shoulder level but a .357 mag. or a .44 will do the trick

When I was in High School in Brunswick, GA, I killed dozens of hogs. Back then the gun of choice was a shotgun with double O buckshot. At short ranges it was quite effective if you hit them in the head. Wild boars have a slab of very thick and tough fat/gristle/armor plate along their sides that is a defense against the slashing tusk of another boar. If a shotgun was fired into this at moderate range, only about half of the buckshot pellets would make it through into the vitals. A buddy and I killed a 575 lb. hog that charged us but turned after two loads in the face. I think if he had actually gotten amongst us I might not be writing this. Another friend hunted with a 45 auto pistol and ball ammo in dense brush. As I recall, he did quite well with it!

.357 .44 or 45 will do, just remember just remember practice because if one ever charges( which most likely would be a sal with babies) your adrenaline will be pumping you'll have the shakes. In my experience when they charge at you just wait till theyre close and jump out the way they usually keep going

.357 .44 or 45 will do, just remember just remember practice because if one ever charges( which most likely would be a sal with babies) your adrenaline will be pumping you'll have the shakes. In my experience when they charge at you just wait till theyre close and jump out the way they usually keep going

Yeah, there was about 12 hogs total. Most were small. I had a camera in my pocket. But wasn't thinking about snapping a picture at the time. I was thinking about if I could run faster than my buddy can:lol:

Back
Top Bottom