Tesoro Sand Shark owners...HELP!

Walrus350

Elite Member
I went to the beach a couple days ago and my SS was working flawlessly. (with exception of EMI/RFI from aircraft and lifeguard towers)
I put in fresh recharchables and head to a beach a couple miles north. EVERY swing was a signal but only to the left. I attributed it to the fact it was high tide. I've been to that beach before, without the issue. I was pissed and left after messing with my settings, checking the coil cover for sand and checking for loose coil wire.

Here's a video:
https://youtu.be/zC1dI7_Q6Bw

On the drive home I was plotting for ways to sell my SS and what other detector to get. I can't return it to amazon because it's past the return. I re-read the manual and it says you get a warranty if you send the registration card 10 days after purchase. (I sent it in 2 weeks ago lol got it Dec 18th)
Then I remembered how the detector was after receiving it. It had 1 screw bouncing around the box. I took a pic and sent it to Tesoro. They said it would be okay for me to replace the screw. I just slapped it on without the ribbon behind it.

Apparently the screw holds the wire ribbon secure. At least that's what I figure why my machine was acting crazy today. So I unscrewed the assembly, tucked the ribbon behind the bracket and secured it.

Can you guys with SS confirm this is how it should look?
TOP: How my SS came out the box
BOTTOM: How I "fixed" my machine today

Hope this post made some sense.

Attachments

• 20171218_140056 1.jpg
    20171218_140056 1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 382
  • 20180218_113531 1.jpg
    20180218_113531 1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 338
trouble with the sand shark

I have owned my sand shark for 4 years. I love it. I do on occasions pick up interference signals on the beach. I receive interference from some video cameras showing live video coverage on some Palm Beach beaches. According to your photo everything looks ok. If you bought it new you have a life time warranty from Tesoro. Any questions speak to Rusty as Tesoro he's a great guy. It's a great machine for wet sand and salt water. I hope this helps

I get EMI from my phone. I can tell when it’s updating or receiving when my machine starts to false. I keep my phone in my left front pocket. The falsing reminds me to move my phone to a back pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will never get rid of my Sand Shark. It has been very successful for me. Once my infatuation with my Excal is gone I have a sneaking suspicion I will be more successful with the Sand Shark for the beach(es) I would prefer it on.

I gotta think that ribbon in there wobbling around was causing your problem so hopefully you're good now!

Yes, that seems to be exactly what the problem was.
My son asked to go to the beach today, so I got to test it out.
Maxed out the pulse width for giggles.
The machine purred like a kitten and let out a MEOW! when it hit this.....(VCO mode)

925 crystal ball ring

Attachments

• 28061834_10213064029189586_4878765572533922417_o.jpg
    28061834_10213064029189586_4878765572533922417_o.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 263
Good to see that minor thing was your problem. The only issue which is minor which you'll eventually come across is that after about 8 months to a year is that the battery will lose contact. When that happens just gently pry up the contact spring clips and you're good to go. Also, when you take out the battery compartment remember to use a bit of silicone grease on the sealing gasket.

No screw loose jokes today for digging all those bobbie pins. Owned a closet full of PI's and sold every one of them. FWIW a magnet in the scoop helps with bobbie pins:shock:

Back
Top Bottom