How do some of you find so many rings?

sandgroper

Elite Member
I don't get it. Am I just really unlucky, do I not dig enough signals or are rings more commonly lost in America?? :lol: These are the ring that I've found throughout my time of detecting (a bit over 10 years), yet I how have some people (such as Skippy!) found hundreds of rings?? I've read through Skippy's excellent guide for finding rings several times, and I have visited all those spots at various sporting grounds and parks, but rarely do I find rings there. I have no problem finding clad coins, and that's reflected through my totals, but rings seem to elude me. :roll:

I might start doing some water hunting soon. Or I'll start monitoring the swells more often, but I want to do something to increase my ring totals. So far this year I've got two gold, four silver and two junkers.

Attachments

• IMG_2214.jpg
    IMG_2214.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 349
Hey you are off to a very good start! At this rate, you will have a dozen gold by the end of the year! You are hunting all the places Skippy hunts, Sportsfields, parks, totters...I do know that our Brother Meggie finds a lot of 9k's in your Country..Beach Hunting of course, seems to be an accepted and popular K there...

I will say this for something you might contemplate...On your daily walkabouts, take note of the rings people are wearing...Specifically the people that are wearing GOLD ones...see if you can discern a 'profile'...What age? Sex? Kids? What do they drive? Do they have dogs? Where do they shop? What outdoor sports do they play? Tennis? what?

Around here, Young Married Mothers with kids spend some time in the schoolyard/park totters and playgrounds, youth soccer, etc......If they are wearing a gold ring at all, they tend to be 'low gr low k' that hit in the foil range..so you sharpen up on those signals in the locations where they go....

Even at the Dog park I've noticed, Older folks generally, nice big gold bands, but worn into their finger like wire around a tree...OK, sure, dog slobber, throwing a ball, rough housing with Fido, weight loss with advancing age are all great advantages...You see a skinny old Man with a heavy loose fitting Gold band that throws a ball left handed? Bird dog that fellow!:laughing:

See what you can discover by looking for Gold Wearers in your AO? You will see a pattern emerge that you may employ strategically to up your odds....

You focus on finding rings, everything becomes a clue! lipstick on a cigarette butt in a totter, a dirty nappy in the trashcan, evidence of a kids birthday party at a park...

You can also peruse your local 'Lost and Found' section of your AO for tips to paydirt locations...From what I read here, a lot of rings lost nowadays are in parking lots, bathrooms, stores even...

Not many lost outside on the dirt anymore..although they were back in the 60's and 70's and even the 80's, so the trash you find in an area of that age can lead you to the gold targets.......

Last edited:
Not many lost outside on the dirt anymore..although they were back in the 60's and 70's and even the 80's, so the trash you find in an area of that age can lead you to the gold targets.......

Well then maybe it's time to start digging those deep foil and pulltab signals...:)

You've had more luck than I. Ten years and three different detectors, I am still waiting for my first gold ring. I'd say I've dug thousands upon thousands of pull tabs, devoting entire days to digging just those types of signals. Do people really lose rings? :lol:

I have been detecting awhile but my ring count is good. There is a few things one can do to increase the odds of digging rings. Of course being lucky enough to live near a beach is one good advantage, but for us dirt diggers, you don't have to dig it all to have a good ring count.

My main tool is a good accurate target ID detector. Although there are a lot of choices out there my favorite happens to be a 15 year old Whites DFX. In my opinion still the most accurate and best target ID system on the market. They have 191 target ID segments. The reason you want a good number of ID segments is to see the difference between say a piece of canslaw and a ring. A ring, being round, for the most part will produces a tight target ID/VDI numbers. That is to say the VDI numbers will vary a lot less than a piece of trash.

Take a ring and wave it over you coil and you should see the VDI numbers will remain tight or vary much less than a piece of can slaw which should jump number wise if you hit it from different directions. Of course if your detector only has 20 target ID segments you won't see this. This is where you need a detector with a high target ID segment count.

Some of my dirt rings.

rings-onchain.jpg

rings-3-8-2014.jpg

Three months of gold.

frstqtrgold.jpg

three more months.

frstqtrgold2011.jpg

You can increase your odds of digging jewelry without having to dig everything that beeps. The right detector for the right job.

Last edited:
...., but rarely do I find rings there. I have no problem finding clad coins, and that's reflected through my totals, but rings seem to elude me. ...

As soon as this question gets posted, answers such as this are sure to follow :

..... I've dug thousands upon thousands of pull tabs, devoting entire days to digging just those types of signals....

Ie.: the "dig pulltabs and foil till your arms fall off" type answer.

Or the answer that it depends on notching. Or the type machine you use.

... My main tool is a good accurate target ID detector..... The right detector for the right job.

Ie.: Some machines are "more sensitive to gold" (albeit likewise: More sensitive to aluminum, doh! ) . Notching is nice, As long as lawn mowers haven't made lunch meat out of cans. Doh!

But I tend to go with this answer:

Location ×3.

If rings are your agenda, why play with notching, TID, machines, or digging-all-till-your-arms fall off ?

Simply choose better spots. Swim beaches. This doesn't mean you have to be near an ocean beach. There are inland lake swim beaches, right ? Or if you *must* go to turf/land: Choose locations that are better ring-demographics. NOT junky blighted picnic grounds/picnic tables/BBQ grills, etc..... Pick sports athletics type place (void of eating/drinking). Or turf/ground directly related to swim (land near swim spots).

A dozen fresh water beaches I've hunted and can't complain about the silver. Barber dimes, mercs, silver rings, flying eagle stuck back to back w/IH, 2-centers, standing libs, dozens of silver coin, just no gold. I am digging low conductors too.

As soon as this question gets posted, answers such as this are sure to follow :

Ie.: the "dig pulltabs and foil till your arms fall off" type answer.

Or the answer that it depends on notching. Or the type machine you use.

Ie.: Some machines are "more sensitive to gold" (albeit likewise: More sensitive to aluminum, doh! ) . Notching is nice, As long as lawn mowers haven't made lunch meat out of cans. Doh!

But I tend to go with this answer:

If rings are your agenda, why play with notching, TID, machines, or digging-all-till-your-arms fall off ?

Simply choose better spots. Swim beaches. This doesn't mean you have to be near an ocean beach. There are inland lake swim beaches, right ? Or if you *must* go to turf/land: Choose locations that are better ring-demographics. NOT junky blighted picnic grounds/picnic tables/BBQ grills, etc..... Pick sports athletics type place (void of eating/drinking). Or turf/ground directly related to swim (land near swim spots).

Thanks, I do hunt beaches quite regularly, but I've only found one or two gold rings there. The rest of my (gold) rings came from parks. Three of them I found at a small park with no sporting facilities. Another large sporting field I regularly hunt hasn't turned up any gold, or silver, yet. Found over $100 in coins there last year, but so far no jewellery of value.

Right? Not only that, but our old Pal Sandgroper has found Gold Nuggets even!! Talk about Greedy!:laughing:

:lol: The place where I found the nuggets is over 1000km (620miles) from where I am so I only get there once a year unfortunately. Would love to go there more often

Back
Top Bottom