Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-17-2018, 05:55 AM
T-Man's Avatar
T-Man T-Man is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hamilton OH
Posts: 2,295
Default Older TV Parts repurpose uses???

Just a quick question to toss out there. I have an older 27 inch analog tv, probably around 15 years old that the color has pretty much gone out on and it's on it's way to the dump here soon. My question is if there is any type of electronic components inside that I may be able to repurpose for something. Maybe a transformer for an electrolysis setup or something else along those lines. I read on here awhile back where someone snatched some magnets or something like that out of an old microwave right after I tossed one and kicked myself for not having the foresight to rip it apart first. I'm not really and electronics guy so don't need to be soldering out every resister or microswitch off the thing but if there is something that may be useful I'd prefer to strip it down before it makes it's way to the curb.

Thanks
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 01-17-2018, 06:05 AM
itsaring!'s Avatar
itsaring! itsaring! is offline
24K Larry
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 13,094
Default

Originally Posted by T-Man View post
Just a quick question to toss out there. I have an older 27 inch analog tv, probably around 15 years old that the color has pretty much gone out on and it's on it's way to the dump here soon. My question is if there is any type of electronic components inside that I may be able to repurpose for something. Maybe a transformer for an electrolysis setup or something else along those lines. I read on here awhile back where someone snatched some magnets or something like that out of an old microwave right after I tossed one and kicked myself for not having the foresight to rip it apart first. I'm not really and electronics guy so don't need to be soldering out every resister or microswitch off the thing but if there is something that may be useful I'd prefer to strip it down before it makes it's way to the curb.

Thanks
Just remember there is something in old TVs that stays charged up and can kill you when discharged. I still remember my dad when I was a kid reached in the back of our old one that was broke for like two years and he goes slamming into a wall after he touched something inside. He was okay after a bit. But never opened up another TV

__________________
In the battle of Thermopylae the Persian Armies demanded that the Greeks surrender their weapons. King Leonidas responded saying "Molon Labe." Translation "Come and get it".

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 01-17-2018, 06:16 AM
T-Man's Avatar
T-Man T-Man is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hamilton OH
Posts: 2,295
Default

Originally Posted by itsaring! View post
Just remember there is something in old TVs that stays charged up and can kill you when discharged. I still remember my dad when I was a kid reached in the back of our old one that was broke for like two years and he goes slamming into a wall after he touched something inside. He was okay after a bit. But never opened up another TV
Not an electronics guys but did spend a number of years as a mechanic and am quite familiar with capacitors. I do know enough to use extra care around them, we did used to charge those up and then throw them at each other when the other person wasn't expecting it, that was a hoot, after awhile you learn to dodge, not catch. Thanks for the warning though.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #4  
Old 01-17-2018, 06:24 AM
itsaring!'s Avatar
itsaring! itsaring! is offline
24K Larry
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 13,094
Default

Originally Posted by T-Man View post
Not an electronics guys but did spend a number of years as a mechanic and am quite familiar with capacitors. I do know enough to use extra care around them, we did used to charge those up and then throw them at each other when the other person wasn't expecting it, that was a hoot, after awhile you learn to dodge, not catch. Thanks for the warning though.
Yeah my dad was a mechanic and nailed me once by throwing one I caught I also remember his story about holding a plug wire and asked my grandpa to hand him a wrench. When my grandpa grounded out he spit out his dentures and tried to beat my dad with the wrench

Forgot to add. I use some old boards to practice unsoldering and soldering right before I repair a detector. No different than a kicker practicing field goals. You go for the real deal you are in tune. I take apart old VCRs. Still looking for some electronics that use the same potentiometer as the minelab Excalibur. No luck yet.

__________________
In the battle of Thermopylae the Persian Armies demanded that the Greeks surrender their weapons. King Leonidas responded saying "Molon Labe." Translation "Come and get it".

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 01-17-2018, 07:27 PM
joecoin's Avatar
joecoin joecoin is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NW Ohio USA
Posts: 103
Default

The residual charge comes from the CRT acting as a capacitor. You can bleed any charge off by grounding an insulated wire at one end and shoving the other end up under the suction cup going into the back of the CRT. Although if the set has been sitting for a year or more there should be little to no charge left.

The yoke on the back of the CRT contains many yards of fine copper wire, I've used some of that to wind coils.

__________________
Minelab Sovereign GT NW Ohio USA

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 01-18-2018, 09:10 AM
Mud-puppy's Avatar
Mud-puppy Mud-puppy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Michigan area
Posts: 10,652
Default

Taking things apart is fun! Its amazing to take something apart to see how it works..this is what kids used to do for entertainment, go down to the town dump and bring something home thats curious...take it apart to see how it works! also, it helped develop an analytical mind...

Ask any kid now a days how a bread toaster works? How does it know when to pop up the bread? Thats a simple one, but just ask and see what they say? No frigging clue!

I have to believe the greatest fabricated item that shows off Mankinds pinnacle of skill is a clock or watch of any sort...gears, springs, and its all gotta act in accordance to a 60sec minute? just try making a gear once, or tempering a spring? Making tiny little components and screws? Getting everything to line up and work? I doubt theres a soul alive on the Planet that could do this by hand anymore...

__________________

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 01-20-2018, 07:58 PM
joecoin's Avatar
joecoin joecoin is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NW Ohio USA
Posts: 103
Default

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
...

I have to believe the greatest fabricated item that shows off Mankinds pinnacle of skill is a clock or watch of any sort...gears, springs, and its all gotta act in accordance to a 60sec minute? just try making a gear once, or tempering a spring? Making tiny little components and screws? Getting everything to line up and work? I doubt theres a soul alive on the Planet that could do this by hand anymore...
I could build a clock, but I'm not a kid.

__________________
Minelab Sovereign GT NW Ohio USA

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.