Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 12-12-2017, 10:01 AM

Default Custom metal detector holder

The new part of this project is the mounting tube on the tool cart. I actually built the clamp several years ago as part of a bicycle repair stand. That was before my wife started riding bikes that are too expensive for me to risk with my limited "bicycle mechanic" skills.

So I have used the clamp held in a vise occasionally to hold weedeaters and such while working on them, as the bicycle stand I built places the clamp too high off the floor for anything other than a bicycle, and most recently my metal detector when I could use an extra hand to hold it steady while removing batteries, coil cover, changing out coils etc. It works so well that I decided to give it a more permanent home on my tool cart. So I built the mounting tube to hold the clamp which allows it to extend and rotate while holding my metal detector securely. And now it is at a comfortable height to work from a chair.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2017, 10:16 PM

Thumbs up

Nice!

The older I get, the more I embrace "work smarter not harder".

Why kneel or squat when you can sit?

Old 12-13-2017, 05:51 PM
Supporter

Very nice! I LOVE making my own tools and jigs. I do a lot of work on classic British motorcycles and have made many of my own tools over the year.
The old saying is true, if you have a welder and a grinder you can fix anything!
I have a feeling I'll be firing up the TIG welder tomorrow and be a copycat LOL!

Old 12-16-2017, 10:54 AM
Supporter

Very cool and handy! I might rig up one of those for to sharpen my new snow shovel with!
Attached Images

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Elite Member

Default Gotta ask !

Curiosity has got the best of me here. What in the world are you doing to your detector that you need a bench mounted vise to hold it ?

Old 12-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Elite Member

That's the way to do it. When I was a mechanic in the USAF and stationed out in Spokane we had a civilian mechanic who had worked there for years. He had 3 giant rolling tool boxes locked in a cage that were just labled Wally Tools. If you ever were just looking through them you would have no idea what they were for but if you were stuck spending an hour trying to get to some hard to reach bolt or other part that just didn't seem possible to access just go and ask Wally, He'd take you over to the box and pull some wierd looking twisted/welded/half ground off contraption out of the box he made just for getting to that one bolt or whatever. Always worked like a charm. He must of spent decades making those things.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by flyguy784 View post
Curiosity has got the best of me here. What in the world are you doing to your detector that you need a bench mounted vise to hold it ?
Anything that I do to maintan/clean my detector is simply easier if the machine is held steady and secure.

As I mentioned earlier, I modified the Visegrip clamp years ago to hold bicycles. In recent years I have used it frequently for other items such as weedeaters. And most recently to hold my AT Pro while removing/installing the coil cover or changing out coils.

The mount on the tool cart simply gives the clamp a permanent home which makes it more convenient to use. I now often put my detector in the clamp rather than just laying on the workbench where it might fall, when I enter my shop with it. After wiping down the detector I hang it back in the rafters till next time.

Maybe it is not really needed, but I could say the same for the detector itself for that matter.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 12-18-2017, 12:56 PM
Elite Member

I get it, just curious is all.

1 members found this post helpful.