• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Minelab Explorer XS repair

choppadude

Forum Supporter
I picked up a used Explorer XS last year just because it was a good deal ($250) and plus I really liked my last one. When I bought it I put batteries in it and tested it out and then hung it on the wall in my detecting room where it just sat.
A couple weeks ago my wife wakes me up at 3am saying she heard a strange noise. After investigating I found the Explorer had turned itself on. I shut it down and went to bed only to be awaken by the same noise and hour later. Needless to say I was a little spooked and remember telling myself that if this thing turned back on after I take the batteries out then I was going to bathe it in Holy water and bury it!
So, I did some research and found that there has been more than one report of the membrane buttons on the faceplate going bad and the detector turning itself on and off. I also found a source in the UK for a new membrane switch/faceplate assembly. So for $60 shipped I bought one. I watched a video that the seller linked to his auction where a person bought the assembly and installed it. A very simple task that took me 15 minutes to do. I am happy to say that the detector now functions well and no longer wakes me up in the middle of the night or turns itself off in the middle of a hunt.
Here is a link to the auction where I purchased the faceplate as well as a video of a guy (not associated with the seller or myself) doing this replacement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...519801?hash=item2119305979:g:VdoAAOSwD0lUblEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnNBH9Jr0zQ&feature=youtu.be

Excellent,thank you. Still enjoying my XS, so far so good. Though the display seems a lil dim lately. I’ll pic up one of those touch pads just incase. Though anybody know where I can get a good price on a new old stock display? TM

Back
Top Bottom