first try at the BSA camp

rustyk1

Elite Member
:detector:Just got out for a few, maybe an hour at the permission at what was once a Boy Scout camp. I only went around 1 dock as the water is lowered, and came away with Eight quarters, all clad, five dimes, again clad, a few cents, no felix, and two wheaties, both 1941. It seems very clean with only one pull tab, and I was digging anything that rang 45 and above on the ATP. The two "relics" that came from this brief excursion was a "Spuds" Mackenzie key chain and a rather old whistle. There was the usual fishing parts, broken lure, lead sinkers, but was nice to get out!

Great Job on getting out!!!! I don't think it's every going to be nice enough to get out here again....LOL January was freezing here and now it's pouring the rain...again...Going to be raining for the foreseeable future. Really glad I have this forum to give me something to look forward when the rain stops...maybe April....:laughing:

I am doing some work there and have free reign on the property. right now the pond has been lowered so this happens every year in Jan-Feb. I have yet to touch the ball fields, camp sites and bivouac sites, the obstacles like the "rock" wall climbing tower, there is a zip line and large picnic areas. I am going to go around the island as it is not an island right now. We shall see how this pans out, and I am going to see about some others joining me as there are acres to search!

I had a friend who was a ranger/caretaker for a Boy Scout camp. He called one one day to bring my detector and find a set of keys that he had lost. It would have cost him a lot to replace them. It turned out that I found them without even having to turn my detector on. Still he was so thankful that he filled my car with gas and gave me permission to search the camp anytime I wanted to. Sadly now the Scout Council has sold the camp so I can't search it any longer. It was fun while it lasted.

I've used my ATP at a scout camp near here several times.
those neck tie slides would ring up at a perfect 77 on the VDI.

I was hoping to get out soon myself but noooooooooooo, another 6 inches of snow fell this evening. I'm ready to move somewhere south a ways....smiles.

HDD

I was hoping to get out soon myself but noooooooooooo, another 6 inches of snow fell this evening. I'm ready to move somewhere south a ways....smiles.

HDD

Well, the last time it snowed with any accumulation was 6 years ago, we got 7" and was gone in a couple of days. We were at 82F yesterday, winter is gone! Sorry to hear about the additional amount of hell.

I've used my ATP at a scout camp near here several times.
those neck tie slides would ring up at a perfect 77 on the VDI.

I am hoping to find some scout stuff, I think the whistle is from that time frame. Just curious, where did you do the best?

My ranger friend told me that he used to get silver coins when refilling the pop machine. The scouts had got into their father's coin collections. While I never found any silver, I found a few scout slides and at about eight inches deep in an area that hadn't been used for a while, a military entrenching tool with the handle rotted away. My best scout find wasn't at the camp but another area where scouts used to camp. A vintage boy Scout ring. I have found Cub Scout rings before but this was my only Boy Scout ring.
VBSRa.JPG

My ranger friend told me that he used to get silver coins when refilling the pop machine. The scouts had got into their father's coin collections. While I never found any silver, I found a few scout slides and at about eight inches deep in an area that hadn't been used for a while, a military entrenching tool with the handle rotted away. My best scout find wasn't at the camp but another area where scouts used to camp. A vintage boy Scout ring. I have found Cub Scout rings before but this was my only Boy Scout ring.
View attachment 406841

Nice silver ring! That's them stuff I want to find!

Back
Top Bottom