Old finds -

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
Old as in when I dug it. Thought I'd post a few items that I dug some years back. First is the most gold jewelry I found in one day. Been detecting 35 years now so I go way back.
Dug these at 2 elementary schools - all solid gold.

14ugnl5.jpg

Next my only gold coin - so far!

w7g853.jpg

For those who love history - this 1838 dime fills the bill. I dug it at a CW site. It had a hole in it and no doubt a soldier was wearing it when lost, probably his loved one's birth year. It was on a steep hillside where one would be riding a horse in rough territory when it was lost.
I have worn it on my key chain since finding it - in remembrance of the soldier.

1491ct3.jpg

Lastly, an arguillette. This item was worn on the CW cannon man's uniform. It fits in the fire hole of the cannon & when the enemy was about to overtake you then you would put the arguillette in, ram the rod down the throat to bend it and hit it on the outside to bend it again. If one failed to do this the enemy might turn the cannon on you and fire.

Still today one can see these on the end of a braided cord on the shoulder of a soldier in dress uniform.

262pd9k.jpg

Just thought I'd post a few items to keep us going till the weather breaks.

Steve in so la

Back
Top Bottom