Am I wasting my time with the metal detector I have

TaylorD

Hey guys I'm new here and new to metal detecting. I have a cheap off brand metal detector that my girlfriend bought me and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth messing with or if I should just sell it and buy a cheap name brand detector any help would be appreciated:?:

Hard to tell without knowing what kind it is...

I depends on what funding you have to buy one. If plenty of funding is available I would say buy a fairly good one. If not I have had great success with my Garrett Ace 250 which is around $200. I think you would enjoy the Ace 250.

Hey guys I'm new here and new to metal detecting. I have a cheap off brand metal detector that my girlfriend bought me and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth messing with or if I should just sell it and buy a cheap name brand detector any help would be appreciated:?:

I think since it's a gift from your girlfriend, you should at least find
one nice piece of jewelry for her before you upgrade. :D

Three isn't even a name on the box but I'm bout to go on lunch and I'll run home and get all the info on it. And money is limited right now so I would only be able to spend what I got out of this detector and maybe another 50 or 75 bucks

Unless it's a complete toy it's hard to say that you would be "wasting your time" using it. You can find good stuff with even a basic detector, though anything that costs much less than $100 new is somewhat suspect.

I started out with the BH Tracker IV which costs about $100 new. I found boatloads of clad as well as some old coins and jewelry with it.

Welcome from Kansas. Midway U.S.A.
Getting used to any detector has a lot to do with whether you find anything or not. You also have to hunt where people have been active in the past. Perhaps you might get yourself a better detector and keep that one and have your girlfriend use it and hunt together. it's a great hobby for both of you.

I could not find a name or model number anywhere but the detector has a digital display with 7 different categories it lights up when beeps 4 in the gold side and 3 on the silver and other metal side. It has a depth meter up to six inches. You can adjust sensitivity and set it it on notch and disc and something else which I don't understand. So what do yall think?

Ok I looked up on my amazon account which is where she got it and it's an american hawks explorer two and there's pics on google if you search it but I can't upload them to here from my iPhone for some reason

Looks like it should be a perfect starter detector. Sounds like it has plenty of options and a good screen. Try to listen to the detecting once you find coins to learn it's sounds. Not sure what this one sounds like for coins vs junk.

Here it is...
http://metaldetectingworld.com/352-1-americanhawks59.html

I think most here would consider this in the "toy" catagory.

Sell it, get what you can and aim for a little better unit.

These are all usually recommended as good "starter" units...

Garrett Ace 150 and 250 ( about $150 & $212 shipped)

Fisher F2 (about $200 shipped)

Tesoro Compadre (about $150 shipped)

Whites Coinmaster (about $180 shipped)

Of course very good used ones come up on the classifieds, too.

Hit the search button up top for these brands and models

So any ideas on what sensitivity and the disc, notch settings I should set it at

I'm thinking I'm gonna keep it for an extra for my girlfriend or a friend that wants to come with me and save up for a good one

I just looked at a pic of it on google and yes the third setting is all metal. And I'm figuring disc means coin shape but what is notch

So any ideas on what sensitivity and the disc, notch settings I should set it at

I'd find a clean spot on the ground (where theres no signals or beeps) and toss a nickle on the ground & set it just where it picks up the nickle without cutting out..Thats how I set up similar bounty hunter machine, although if your looking for very small gold items you'll have to set it even lower then the nickle range..The above is just how I set mine for coin hunting.

Back
Top Bottom