First time Metal Detector

ben01

Hi I am wanting to start metal dectecting what is a good metal dectector that is about 50.00? I live in florida.

I live 30 miles from jacksonville florida. I have seen a few radioshack brand metal detectors on ebay for about 20.00 are they any good? I can go up to about 100 is the max I can go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome

I think your gonna have a hard time finding one that cheap, even used. But then again you never know.:?:

well i think

a rental unit or a used unit off of craigslist where in florida do you live? i live in florida also i will try and help you ...........lee

Well, you get what you pay for. There aren't too many folks on his board that swing a radioshack branded detector, but I'm sure a few of us got our start with one. Also I think they sell Bounty Hunter brand as well now. What model are you looking at? Maybe one of us can vouch a yay or nay for it.

Welcome from Kansas. The Sunflower State.
Sunflowers1.gif
Trying to find a used unit might be your best bet, but don't spend more than you can afford. It would make it harder to enjoy the slow days (and there will be). Whatever you get, have fun. That's what it's all about. You can always trade up later and by then you'll have a better idea of what you want. Just keep reading the forum and let us see your finds. Good hunting.

Check the estate sales/classified ads/Thrify Nickel (if that's still around) or maybe a local MD club that has a member with an oldie but goodie in the closet. Hope it works out. Let us know your progress.

Wecome to "Friendly"

Ben. Glad to have you with us. If you are patient and check the classifieds, you may turn one up for the $$ you want to spend. Last year at our community yard sale there was a $200.00 R/S detecter used once, no scratches asking $25 dollars. I passed on it, recommended it to someone else. In hindsight, I should have picked it up, but I don't have much room. There are deals out there, Put up a couple wanted business size cards on bulletin boards, never know maybe someone has one they grew bored with...good Luck.Gil

Welcome aboard from California.

My only suggestion is to try the Pecan Park Flea Market on the north side of Jax...off I-95 past the airport exit. On weekends, there are many folks there selling everything from soup to nuts. You might find a real bargin.

Here ya go :)

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/1369897583.html

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/1359119617.html

http://valdosta.craigslist.org/for/1367672346.html

Heres 2 in the Jacksonville area and one in Alapaha , Georgia ( about a 2 hour drive give or take , but that particular detector is worth it ) . Just a suggestion , but I would stay away from the radio shack , or the generic cheapos made by unheard of companies...... many people regret that they spent their money on them. You would be better off getting a used one made by a reliable company. There may even be some in the classifieds on this site. Good luck, I hope you find a good deal.

good luck ...there are deal to be had out there just take some time and keep looking you will find one in your price range sooner or later

Hi,
Try viking 5 metal detectors on ebay, They go for around 50.00

Mike

All metal detectors will or usually do work to some degree. And even this one should find some things in some places but any time you buy a new one for that cheap just remember that you only paid $50 bucks for it and its unrealistic to expect very much out of that machine. But if your goal is just to get out there and have fun with the possibility of finding something once in a while then practically any detector will work. If you want to seriously get into the hobby and have the best chance of finding good stuff then you would be farther ahead saving a little more money to put with that $50 and get something that has some better depth and discrimination. All just depends on what you are looking for in a detector. Just my opinion ;)

All metal detectors will or usually do work to some degree. And even this one should find some things in some places but any time you buy a new one for that cheap just remember that you only paid $50 bucks for it and its unrealistic to expect very much out of that machine. But if your goal is just to get out there and have fun with the possibility of finding something once in a while then practically any detector will work. If you want to seriously get into the hobby and have the best chance of finding good stuff then you would be farther ahead saving a little more money to put with that $50 and get something that has some better depth and discrimination. All just depends on what you are looking for in a detector. Just my opinion ;)

I agree %100. also that particular detector you are looking at from walmart is a childs detector. It is not very long so you might have a hard time reaching the ground with it, unless you are really short. Also keep in mind that with a metal detector, you also need something do dig with and there are different tools and methods of digging. I would recommend saving a little more and buy the Garrett Ace 250 (around $212 new) or you can probably find a cheaper used one on ebay, but it is a great and easy machine to use, and it will pay for itself in no time with your finds, and you will be quickly thinking about what machine to upgrade to.

I just want to beable to search for anytype of metal and when I go see my sister to beable to use it on the beach. I have a very big backyard to search and woods right out back almost 2 acres to just search and then would like to go into city park. I already have gardening tools I can use to dig with.

Back
Top Bottom