How to deal with this

speeddemon94

So, this spoon is very soft and I'm saying definitely silver. Thing is it has a thick black scale and the exposed silver is pitted pretty bad. How in the world do I get the black scale off?
uploadfromtaptalk1397770243541.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1397770277658.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I thought that at first as well, but upon a soak and scrub the silver is under the scale. I was even able to chip little bits of the scale away to reveal more silver.

Here, I touched the exposed silver with a little jewelers Rouge... Smooths the pitting right out and brings out the sparkle. Was even able to get a little scale off with it... Still can't make out the darn writing though.
uploadfromtaptalk1397772659311.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1397772677650.jpg

Believe what you want, but I agree with Brainworm, in pic. #1 shows clear evidence of copper under plating.

Everyone's right it is definitely plated trust me i find spoons almost every hunt. Some tips.

1. If you see chips plated
2. You should never see a color like red, it means one thing copper
3.Sterling silverware is always bumpy and soft
4. It shouldn't be more than one solid color even tarnished
5.Nickel silver is not silver not even 0.01%

The best way to find out is rub an eraser at the middle of the spoon where the handle attaches. It will have a marking 99% of the time usually "sterling" or A1. Good luck

I guess you never know for sure unless you see writing could of been up against another piece of metal making the tarnish a strange color.

So, it's a silver plated copper spoon? Either way, I'd like to clean it to be sure and see if I can get the markings to pop up a little better. How should I go about that, regardless of material content.

I wrote this for cleaning salt water found silver coins, It should haelp a lot.

Silver coins from salt water enviroments can be very tough to get clean. The build up, and the black just won't come off it seems with any one method. The ship wreck coins usually go through many different treatments including electrolysis, which I don't care for as it tends to like to pit things of copper / silver. Not to mention that isn't necessary.

I found this combination of things work well, and relatively quickly.

#1, a soak in 10% solution of muriatic acid, don't be too concerned about exact percentages here, and slowly put acid in water not other way round. I let this soak for a day. Perhaps less time is enough, but it will not hurt the coin regardless. and this is the first step that the ATOCHA coins had done to them, although I think they said 10 or 20 minutes.

This tended to removed the real crusty looking stuff, but the black remained.

#2, The tin foil method, while this seems to little all by itself there is definitely something going on here. Wet the coin, and tinfoil with a solution of baking soda, and water. wrap the coin shinny side of foil toward the coil, and press tight with your fingers or place it under something, the goal is to make contact, as in electrical. Leave a couple of minutes this way 2 to 3 is enough.

#3, rub the coin with ordinary table salt, and just enough drops of water, you'll know how much, add salt, and drops of water as necessary. You will see the black comming off.

Repeat steps 2 and 3 as necessary or untill desired color remains, or is completely "new" looking silver. In my case with these two coins it was 3 repeats of step 2 and 3.

I've done other too, that were near unrecognizable to looking like new, just don't have before pics, so little point to show them

I WOULD use this on a rare coin too.
Please reserve negative comments about how I ruined the value here.

Before, and after pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 404
I won't suggest that my experience is applicable here, but it might be useful to someone. I already posted this photo on another of the Friendly forums.
I found this 1889 Morgan dollar at an old homestead site, about 6" down. I estimate that it had been buried 90-100 years, maybe more. I didn't even realize it was a coin until I rubbed off enough dirt to see "In God We Trust".
I thought it would be a bear to clean. I started with the aluminum foil - baking soda - hot water (I call it passive electrolysis) method, but changed my mind after about a minute, thinking I would use active electrolysis (with a DC power supply) instead. However, when I picked the dollar up, I noticed that my fingers got black. I wound up rubbing it between my fingers and thumb for about 5 minutes with a paste of baking soda and water.
Before and after can be seen below.

Attachments

• 1889 Morgan dollar before and after cleaning.jpg
    1889 Morgan dollar before and after cleaning.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 301
Great advice on the coin cleaning guys, thanks! I'm going to document everything you've done so I know what to do the next time I find a nice coin!

Back to the spoon topic, I too found an old spoon which has silver and a redish color and I was also told it's a copper spoon with silver plating. Thankfully mine just needed a good rinse with some soap and water and it cleaned up fairly well, just that it's bent up and in bad shape.

Spoon1.jpg

Spoon2.jpg

I wrote this for cleaning salt water found silver coins, It should haelp a lot.

Silver coins from salt water enviroments can be very tough to get clean. The build up, and the black just won't come off it seems with any one method. The ship wreck coins usually go through many different treatments including electrolysis, which I don't care for as it tends to like to pit things of copper / silver. Not to mention that isn't necessary.

I found this combination of things work well, and relatively quickly.

#1, a soak in 10% solution of muriatic acid, don't be too concerned about exact percentages here, and slowly put acid in water not other way round. I let this soak for a day. Perhaps less time is enough, but it will not hurt the coin regardless. and this is the first step that the ATOCHA coins had done to them, although I think they said 10 or 20 minutes.

This tended to removed the real crusty looking stuff, but the black remained.

#2, The tin foil method, while this seems to little all by itself there is definitely something going on here. Wet the coin, and tinfoil with a solution of baking soda, and water. wrap the coin shinny side of foil toward the coil, and press tight with your fingers or place it under something, the goal is to make contact, as in electrical. Leave a couple of minutes this way 2 to 3 is enough.

#3, rub the coin with ordinary table salt, and just enough drops of water, you'll know how much, add salt, and drops of water as necessary. You will see the black comming off.

Repeat steps 2 and 3 as necessary or untill desired color remains, or is completely "new" looking silver. In my case with these two coins it was 3 repeats of step 2 and 3.

I've done other too, that were near unrecognizable to looking like new, just don't have before pics, so little point to show them

I WOULD use this on a rare coin too.
Please reserve negative comments about how I ruined the value here.

Before, and after pics.

wow! looking good

Back
Top Bottom