Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 09-15-2020, 06:06 PM
Supporter

Default Nox 800 (looking for hardware upgrade info)

Soon I am going to purchase a Nox 800 to add to my inventory. But as I have been reading about them over the time I have been here, I have picked up on a few things here and there people replace or add for improvements. (shafts, coil ears, etc)

So what I want to know in this thread is if you own a Nox 800, what did YOU replace or add to your nox over time and why? Kind of looking to purchase everything at once when I start ordering things. Not looking to have this thread become a detector debate, just a consolidated upgrades and add ons thread for the Nox 800.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-15-2020, 06:58 PM
Elite Member

I added Docís Arm Cuff cover. Also upgraded the shaft with Steveís Detector Rods.
Both items were worth the upgrade.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:34 PM

I added an ORX to my Nox and then my Nox problem was solved!

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:52 PM
Elite Member

I had an ear stiffener made for the ears on the coil. This prevents them from snapping off. There is plenty of places online to purchase one or here is a thread that I started that links you to a program for a 3-D printer that you can do On your own. I had my local library print for me it cost me about a dollar.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=277780

oldest coin to date 1773 4 Maravedies
2020/(19) silver coins (4) silver jewelry (0) gold jewelry (13)IHP (21) wheat (4) tokens

Old 09-15-2020, 09:39 PM
Elite Member

I also have added snake skinz to the coil cable so curious little kids do not step on your coil. It also is something to personalize your detector. Here's the link where I ordered it from.

https://www.wedigmetaldetectors.net/...nz_c_1039.html
Attached Images

oldest coin to date 1773 4 Maravedies
2020/(19) silver coins (4) silver jewelry (0) gold jewelry (13)IHP (21) wheat (4) tokens

Old 09-15-2020, 09:57 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by EmuDetector View post
Not looking to have this thread become a detector debate, just a consolidated upgrades and add ons thread for the Nox 800.

Thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by bigtim1973 View post
I added an ORX to my Nox and then my Nox problem was solved!
Well, that lasted exactly two posts!!

Oldest coin: 1834 Matron Head Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1854 Seated Liberty Quarter
Oldest foreign coin: 1844 Province of Canada Half Penny

Equinox 800 w/Steveís Detector Rods Complete Shaft & Herke Cuff; Pro Pointer II
Detecting Since 4/2017 - Addicted Since 5/2017

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:05 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by AirmetTango View post
Well, that lasted exactly two posts!!
Some people...

Thanks everyone else so far!

Old 09-15-2020, 10:17 PM
Supporter

Steveís Detector Rods complete shaft w/counterweight: I didnít have the lower shaft wobble problem that others reported when I bought my Equinox, but I wanted the replacement shaft just to head the problem off before it started. Plus the shaft is lighter and perhaps better balanced than the stock shaft even before the addition of the counterweight. Once I purchased a 15Ē coil for the machine, the counterweight is a major improvement to balance. https://www.stevesdetectorrods.com/

Herke cuff w/neoprene pad: Excellent and far more durable arm cuff and stand than the stock item. Thing is built like a tank. The arm cuff is also available through Steveís website.

One thing I would recommend staying away from if you hunt in a warm climate is any kind of control box rain/dust cover. Iíve always used them with all of my previous detectors to prevent scratches on my screens from my dirty/muddy gloves. Anyway, I tried a couple different varieties from a pair of makers with the Equinox, and rapidly learned that the control box overheats on a hot day, rendering the display impossible to read. Iíve switched to these vinyl keypad covers instead, made by Tony Hunt in England. Coupled with one of the included Minelab protectors for the center part of the screen, they do a great job saving the screen from scratches and damage from the dirt and mud on my gloves.

I know a lot of guys are using and will probably recommend some variety of coil ear ďstiffenerĒ to help prevent coil ears from breaking. Itís just my opinion, but I no longer believe these are effective for solving the issue. I used them briefly, but have since abandoned their use. Here is a link to an interesting post from our forum where someone suggests the stiffeners donít really work, and suggest a different solution: https://metaldetectingforum.com/show...78&postcount=9

Hereís another thread from a different forum suggesting the same:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/f...ssue/#comments

And last - every detector should have some sort of pirate emblem added :

Name:  3C9F9933-0BF0-44F9-9D35-237E1184E25E.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  48.2 KB

Oldest coin: 1834 Matron Head Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)

Last edited by AirmetTango; 09-15-2020 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the eBay link to Tony Huntís covers

Old 09-15-2020, 10:22 PM
Elite Member

Added a 6" coil, Doc's arm cuff cover, Steve Goss carbon fiber shaft. I liked my first 800 so much I bought a second one and added Doc's arm cuff cover and a Detect Ed retractable carbon fiber shaft so I wouldn't miss my ORX and its retractable shaft too much.

I am still trying to like the supplied ML80 Bluetooth wireless headphones. They seem to have too much bass for my hearing and can't be adjusted. I really like the immediate presence of the Aukey B80 earbuds and some of the Avantree Bluetooth headphones so far.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:32 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by jmaclen View post
I am still trying to like the supplied ML80 Bluetooth wireless headphones. They seem to have too much bass for my hearing and can't be adjusted. I really like the immediate presence of the Aukey B80 earbuds and some of the Avantree Bluetooth headphones so far.

Agreed - the Aukey EP-B80 earbuds are an excellent addition. I like the sound quality much better than the stock ML80 headphones, and they provide AptX LL connectivity with the Equinox for minimal lag.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:28 PM
Supporter

Thanks all!!

Old 09-17-2020, 12:49 AM

Well I'm a lowly Nox 600 owner but I quickly upgraded to a DetectEd carbon fiber shaft, a metal arm cuff originally intended for the X-Terra, a coil ear stiffener and the Aukey B80 earbuds. The Nox is a great machine and with the shaft/cuff it feels so much better and the earbuds have been AWESOME in the heat of the summer.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by EmuDetector View post
Some people...

Thanks everyone else so far!

It's all just for fun and games.....I am actually thinking if adding an Equinox to my ORX now!!

Old 09-17-2020, 09:56 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by bigtim1973 View post
It's all just for fun and games.....I am actually thinking if adding an Equinox to my ORX now!!
All good, ordered mine yesterday from River Team Six!

Old 09-21-2020, 12:56 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by JimR_TN View post
Well I'm a lowly Nox 600 owner but I quickly upgraded to a DetectEd carbon fiber shaft, a metal arm cuff originally intended for the X-Terra, a coil ear stiffener and the Aukey B80 earbuds. The Nox is a great machine and with the shaft/cuff it feels so much better and the earbuds have been AWESOME in the heat of the summer.
The DetectEd carbon shaft was my choice too. I love it. I believe they fixed the coil ear problem.