Ndd

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Got my new old DFX 300 today. Man do I love these detectors. 20+ year old technology that still rules in the tot lots. Still going to keep the NOX 800 of course but the DFX 300 has and always will be my backup. Me and the DFX click. It helps that I've been swinging one since 2003, but still one of the best ever made in its day. That and I can program it in my sleep LOL.

Attachments

• DFX1.JPG
    DFX1.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 204
  • DFX2.jpg
    DFX2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 198
I understand what they're saying. The DFX was too advanced for many people and they never mastered how to get good depth. And it is true it is no depth monster even when programmed properly, but I've recovered many of old coins down to 8" in the city park. In fact I'd dare say the DFX pulled more deep coins from our city park than any detector I've owned. Again it helps that I used the DFX longer than any other detector LOL.

I'm just ecstatic to have one again. I get one and end up selling it because I have so many people come to me looking for a first detector so I sell them my DFX. I still believe there is no easier to learn first detector than the DFX. I mean it not only tells you when you have a coin under the coil but shows you a picture. I sell it then regret it. I've done tests to verify just how simple they are to use for a first timer.

I had a friend ask about getting into detecting but wasn't sure if it was for him. He was sure he would spend his time digging junk. I took the DFX and said I'm not going to tell you a think other than how to turn it on and just follow the direction and let you hunt this park. He found nothing but coins.

I’ve had mine since 2008, bought new. Second one. First one was defective right out of the box. Wouldn’t ground balance. Took it back to dealer after contacting Whites. Ended up with the dealer’s demo. I also consider it good machine for tot lots, and locating property markers.

My background is military electronics, I used to build sonobuoys for the navy, from prototype breadboard schematic to final assembly line assembly manual. Light software code (late 1980’s, early 90’s). In other words, the DFX programs are an easy setup for me. Ramped up, I still couldn’t get any depth out of it. For some odd reason, I still have it, in the closet.

Your setup is advanced, I can see how you might get the extra depth. I haven’t yet tried a larger coil.

As far as deep coin hunting, or even coin hunting at all, I still use my 800. My DFX kicks butt on all others detectors I've used in tot lots and tot lots are at least 60% of my hunting.

The ket to good depth on the DFX is proper ground balance. Got to be right. Also the DFX's real dislike for most people and a lack of depth was the very conservative factory programs. I believe Whites was thinking mainly at new users so the programs are very stable, but lack depth. As any of you know it's hard to achieve both. If you want the best depth from your detector chance are it will be a bit on the noisy side. AC Sensitivity and Pre-amp Gain is the key to good depth with the DFX.

A properly set up DFX is deeper than its reputation would have you believe. A very versatile machine. I've bought and sold two of them as the audio just doesn't seem to be tuned to my ears. But then again I don't mind a Fisher F70 which many consider way too chatty. I still miss the DFX sometimes and may eventually pick up another one. They're a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom