Improvment on the Harbor Freight Pinpointer

MetalmanMatt

I bought this today. First time out and it just beeps. I took the case apart( just the 4 screws on the corners, DONT remove the center screw it holds the wand on) And found that it has a coarse adjustment pot inside. It lhe blue rectangle with a small screw on top of it. Set the sensitivity knob on the outside to about half way. Then turn on the detector. If its beeping turn the screw on the blue box inside Counter Clockwise until the beep stops. Then test it out. Mine works perfectly. I will be Heat shrinking the case soon to add duribility. Hope this helps some of you. Matt

Nice going Matt

Now the question everyone will ask. :?: How did you get yours, mail order? It seems like one of those items few people can get their hands on. Always on backorder, never in stock. Spill the beans,:yes: people want to know. Gil

Hey guys, I paid 18.31 for this. If anyone wants one just send me a MO to cover the price and shipping and Ill get them. Cant cot more than 5 buck to ship. Ill even do the fix on them first if you want. Just pm me if you need one.

Thanks for the post with the tweaks and shrinkwrap suggestion. That's exactly how we pass along info here on the forum.

Good Luck and keep on posting.

How deep does the pinpointer work? Most of the pinpointers that I have found work 1 1/2 inches to 1/2 inch deep. Is the wand part durable enough to probe soil with it?
You said that you were going to heat shrink the case, do you mean the wand part or the whole case itself? Hope you can help me with this, I really don't want to buy a wall scanner and take it apart just to make my own pinpointer.

I have mine set now to work from 1/4 inch to about 2 1/2 inches. That is in soil, not air. It will probe if your soil isnt packed. I find that my digger isnt seeing near as much use as it did. It reads in all directions, but works best for me off the tip. I would say get one. I like mine. The heat shrink is just going to make it a little more durable, It works fine without it. Best $18 I have spent on this hobby. The adjustment is simple, takes just a few minutes.Hope this helps. Matt

I will definately have to try this!

Also, another tip is that I find that the beeping is a little too loud so I just taped a piece of clear shipping tape over the speaker hole. This also will help prevent dirt and some moisture from getting inside as easily.

i got mine mail order in about 10 days..
i tried your tweak and actually lost depth.
are you trying to stop the constant beep with the sens. all the way up?

Adjust it to about half way. I found today that the halfway mark is good. I usualy hunt damp or wet areas. and would have to adjust the exterior control knob to about 1/4 .Today I hunted an old park that seems to be very dry and is built on top of gravel. I was able to run the pinpointer about 5/8 or 3/4 . I beleive the half way mark I have tuned my cen tec to really helps. What results have you other guys had after makeing this adjustment?

Adjust it to about half way. I found today that the halfway mark is good. I usualy hunt damp or wet areas. and would have to adjust the exterior control knob to about 1/4 .Today I hunted an old park that seems to be very dry and is built on top of gravel. I was able to run the pinpointer about 5/8 or 3/4 . I beleive the half way mark I have tuned my cen tec to really helps. What results have you other guys had after makeing this adjustment?

still confused:?::?:
was yours beeping constantly at the halfway mark
mine was beeping constantly at the 3/4 mark
also i found that tuning it in horizontally i could increase the range but when i held it vertically or waved it around it would go to a constant beep
how can i stop the constant beep at 100% sens. and gain depth(i dont think its possible)

Mine beeped nonstop every where. I set the fine control on the outsied to halfway (it was beeping). I then set the internal control untill it stopped. Now when I use it the first time at each location i plce the tip to the ground and turn it up until it beeps. I then back off until it just stops.

harbor freight pinpointer

I would like for the pinpointer to work only from the tip. and not from the sides and the tip . is the possible

Thanks for all the info.......Been looking for a fairly cheap pinpointer for my stepson. This sounds like the one.

Buy it!

I have been using a H F pinpointer for about 5 months now. Was using a bullseye pinpintet ($100) but found it very tempramental and bought the HF online for under 20 bucks. I wrapped the body in black electrical tape around the body to help keep it dirt free and to protect it a bit. I did not wrap the shaft. The body is a little blocky but I am very happy with the performance of the HF. I now keep the bullseye as a back up. I recommend the HF as a definite "best value" for the buck.

i had my hf pp for a year now well worth 16.00 i paid but as most will find the stitch willgo bad i drilled a hole at battery end and put in a toggle switch from radio shack works great good luck with yours:D:D

I modded mine out over 2 years ago....

And I thought I posted the plans. The inside adjustment brass screw I dabbed with a spot of glue to keep it in place. I removed the pezo speaker and replaced it with a small vibrator, a better on off button, and I even toggled the light switch. I added a "O" ring under a larger tuning knob. Makes it easy to tune it and the "O" ring keeps it adjusted. I use it as a back up know. My total investment was under $25 and it is money well spent. I have to send my Treasure Mate in for repairs and now it's HP back up time.
Woodstock

Back
Top Bottom