Finally happened, police showed up.

A friend of mine recently called the city about a guy detecting at the local soccer pitch. He said that he wasn't concerned when he was digging off pitch but has a real issue with digging on the pitch. His reasoning is that even if we replace the sod and make it look like it never happened, the integrity of the area has been compromised and a person running over it or putting their foot there maybe to turn while playing is going to have a problem. This friend of mine when much younger had a promising career as a soccer player ended when he wrecked his knee because of a hole in the pitch. It wasn't dug by a detectorist (as far as he knows) but I think he makes a valid point that I hadn't considered. Around the pitch is no issue and he conceded that using a picker tool would probably be fine and surface finds of course. Something to consider.

What some people don't realize is that public land is paid for by taxpayers and is for public use. Getting tired of telling soccer and baseball coaches to take a hike when I'm detecting on "their" field. Sorry coach, it's not your field, it's everyone's field because we all helped to pay for the land purchase and the upkeep with taxes.

Now don't get me wrong, I never detect them during their playing season. I wait until November or December. But these pot bellied coaches still feel the need to harass me. I'm polite at first, but have very little tolerance for them. MYOB coach and you'll live to see another season! Lol!

What some people don't realize is that public land is paid for by taxpayers and is for public use. Getting tired of telling soccer and baseball coaches to take a hike when I'm detecting on "their" field. Sorry coach, it's not your field, it's everyone's field because we all helped to pay for the land purchase and the upkeep with taxes.

Now don't get me wrong, I never detect them during their playing season. I wait until November or December. But these pot bellied coaches still feel the need to harass me. I'm polite at first, but have very little tolerance for them. MYOB coach and you'll live to see another season! Lol!
Amen!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Went to a park just the other day and was detecting close to the parking lot. Police office rolls up and lowers his window looking at me. I turn off my detector and remove my headphones and walk over to see what's up. He wanted to know if I was finding anything good. Said he has thought about taking up the hobby. We chatted a good 15 minutes and he drove off. Then a bit later in the same park a Parks Department truck pulls up. Guy jumps out and walks over to me. He's curious about my detector. He reaches in his pocket and gets a quarter and throws it on the ground. He want's to hear the sound. So I hold my headphones close to his hear and scanned the quarter. He thought it was cool. And away he went and I went back to detecting. So you never know how folks are going to react.

Just this week I went to a new park I've never hunted before. I did notice a big sign about Defacing Property being a no no. Hmmm am i defacing the dirt? I'm good about trying to leave no trace. I did notice holes that were obviously being dug by squirrels. I guess the little guys can't read!

I hunt the local activity fields and usually stick to the side lines and seating area. Nothing will piss people off more then watching somebody dig holes in the infield or goal areas. The best policy is to try and see things through the eyes of other people. Just my opinion.

The dang gophers dig holes everywhere around here.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Went to a park just the other day and was detecting close to the parking lot. Police office rolls up and lowers his window looking at me. I turn off my detector and remove my headphones and walk over to see what's up. He wanted to know if I was finding anything good. Said he has thought about taking up the hobby. We chatted a good 15 minutes and he drove off. Then a bit later in the same park a Parks Department truck pulls up. Guy jumps out and walks over to me. He's curious about my detector. He reaches in his pocket and gets a quarter and throws it on the ground. He want's to hear the sound. So I hold my headphones close to his hear and scanned the quarter. He thought it was cool. And away he went and I went back to detecting. So you never know how folks are going to react.

Just this week I went to a new park I've never hunted before. I did notice a big sign about Defacing Property being a no no. Hmmm am i defacing the dirt? I'm good about trying to leave no trace. I did notice holes that were obviously being dug by squirrels. I guess the little guys can't read!

i can't count how many times this same thing has happened to me over the years! being truthful,every time it does, i think my heart's gonna stop, and i am gonna ''croak'' on the spot! really! i shake after, but i wind up being "unscathed"
and continuing to hunt! wow! its just a 'kick in the balls" just want to be left alone to do my thing is all! 35 years and counting! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I hunt the local activity fields and usually stick to the side lines and seating area. Nothing will piss people off more then watching somebody dig holes in the infield or goal areas. The best policy is to try and see things through the eyes of other people. Just my opinion.

this is "dead nuts" accurate! it's easy to understand how others would feel about that! makes a ton of sense! gotta be careful when sniping sports fields!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Martin, you're probably right that us md'rs would not win that battle of semantics. Eg.: "probe vs dig" or "plug vs dig", etc.....

But think of it this way: Even the MOST SKITTISH md'rs would agree with the semantics of alter vs alterED. Right ? Such that if you left no trace of your presence, then .... technically, you haven't alterED anything. Right ? Thus whether or not a busy-body agrees with that, yet .... you can see how it's totally logical grammatical sense. Right ?

Ok, then ask yourself: What is the difference between alter vs altered ? It's simply present tense and past tense of the same word. Right ? Thus if you can accept that logical progression, then what's the difference between dig vs dug ? THE SAME THING ! Present vs past tense is the only difference as well. It's just that we don't say digged

I certainly agree that not everyone on earth will agree with those semantics. Sure. Ok, simply go at lower traffic times when those singular lookie-lous are not around. Some people might call that "sneaking around". Ok, fine then: Sneak around. You're simply not going to please every last person on earth.

Nah. You're arguing the semantics of the same word, using present and past tense. I'm saying change the narrative by using different words. Different words have very different meanings.

"I'm cutting a neat flap." Is very different than "I'm digging a plug".

While this may not work everywhere, our city actually defines them differently, telling MDers to not dig, but cutting a neat flap is acceptable.

What they're looking for is "removal of dirt." The goal then, is to retrieve the object without removing dirt from the hole while doing it.

Deeper objects require bigger flaps, but nothing can be retrieved below 8".

This is ordinance specific, though.

As a result, though, I've successfully answered MANY inquiries about "I didn't think you could dig in the park?" with "I"m not, I'm cutting a neat flap, as the ordinance allows." You'd better believe that 100% of the confrontations end immediately that way.

I've used this in other cities, too, with FANTASTIC success. Even going so far as to demonstrate for someone, how it works, and have them say, "Oh, that's cool!" and that's that!

So... my statement stands. Don't call it digging (and DON'T DIG). Call it "cutting a neat flap" and then do just that!

EDIT: See attached screen grab from the City Council Resolution. You'll note it specifically calls out the difference from a plug vs flap. It's a beautiful ordinance!

Skippy

Attachments

• Cutting versus digging.jpg
    Cutting versus digging.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Some people need to get a life. They picture themselves as some sort of "SUPERhero" who's going to save the town from some hole digging ne'er do well. Makes them feel important. I'd love to have a "vaporizer" gun......as soon as some "Nosy Nellie" comes up to complain about what I'm doing....POOF!..........they're vaporized and there's one less pest in the world:laughing:

Some people need to get a life. They picture themselves as some sort of "SUPERhero" who's going to save the town from some hole digging ne'er do well. Makes them feel important. I'd love to have a "vaporizer" gun......as soon as some "Nosy Nellie" comes up to complain about what I'm doing....POOF!..........they're vaporized and there's one less pest in the world:laughing:

Totally agree.

I had a soccer player come up to me once, and asked, "Hey, are you damaging the field, because that's not ok."

I noted, "nope, I only create flaps. It's you guy's shoes that damage the field" (and then I pointed to torn up lawn), "and I wish you all would pick up the beer bottle caps when you're done." I pointed to the ground with all of them there, and to his buddies who were drinking over by a tree.

He looked pretty sheepish and said, "uh, yeah, thanks. sorry about that." and left.

Super-heroes, indeed! We deserve a freaking MEDAL for all the trash we pick up. :)

Skippy

Nah. You're arguing the semantics of the same word, using present and past tense. I'm saying change the narrative by using different words. Different words have very different meanings.

"I'm cutting a neat flap." Is very different than "I'm digging a plug".

While this may not work everywhere, our city actually defines them differently, telling MDers to not dig, but cutting a neat flap is acceptable.

What they're looking for is "removal of dirt." The goal then, is to retrieve the object without removing dirt from the hole while doing it.

Deeper objects require bigger flaps, but nothing can be retrieved below 8".

This is ordinance specific, though.

As a result, though, I've successfully answered MANY inquiries about "I didn't think you could dig in the park?" with "I"m not, I'm cutting a neat flap, as the ordinance allows." You'd better believe that 100% of the confrontations end immediately that way.

I've used this in other cities, too, with FANTASTIC success. Even going so far as to demonstrate for someone, how it works, and have them say, "Oh, that's cool!" and that's that!

So... my statement stands. Don't call it digging (and DON'T DIG). Call it "cutting a neat flap" and then do just that!

EDIT: See attached screen grab from the City Council Resolution. You'll note it specifically calls out the difference from a plug vs flap. It's a beautiful ordinance!

Skippy

gotta differ with ya here skip man! sounds like !!!!!!!!! you are assuming that the average authority figure "believes" that a "neat flap" is NOT the same as cutting the soil!.perhaps this 'approach" if you will, has worked for you in the past, but it assumes the people you explained this too are "stupid" and dumb as rocks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The ones who take care of athletic fields are proud of their grass and don't like to see anyone digging on it. I never hunt the fields themselves. Most players never have anything with them anyway.

....perhaps this 'approach" if you will, has worked for you in the past, ...

X2. If this has worked for Skippy, then more power to him. But the average park personnel nosy-parker that I've ever bumped into, would not be very persuaded by the word-jumbles.

We can switch up words and substitute "pop" "probe", "pry", in place of "dig" and "plug". And while I agree that , yes, we can be neater about our work. Yet the average busy-body griper is not likely to enter into a discussion about the merits of the different methods/words. All they know is: "You're a man with a detector who was poking into nice manicured turf".

NOT THAT I WOULDN'T push back with these logical reasonings, if I was getting any sort of scrams. But I certainly wouldn't parade myself in front of any potential trouble, thinking that word-play is going to get me carte-blanche approvals. The much better tactic (IMHO) is: Go at lower traffic times and avoid such kill-joys from the git-go ;)

Night time is your friend. Also carry a few crumpled up cans and tell people you’re cleaning up the park! Coins in the pocket, trash in the recovery bag!

I don't mean to steer from the subject but, assuming that the cops take all of your personal information before the warning, aren't you folks who go to the place at different times when there's low traffic nervous, do you feel relaxed and not worry that the cops could come again, and you would lose your gear and get a citation and possibly a ride to the station?

I've been through an experience where all of my personal info was taken down with a scolding to not do it again or else.

I don't believe that I'd ever have any relaxed fun in the same city public place again, even at odd low, parker times. It only takes one nosy person, who maybe lives by the place, or just happens to network with neighbors, to get a call at almost any time of day.

Once you get the info made legal record and the speech given to you...aren't you tense if you go back?

I don't mean to steer from the subject but, assuming that the cops take all of your personal information before the warning, aren't you folks who go to the place at different times when there's low traffic nervous, do you feel relaxed and not worry that the cops could come again, and you would lose your gear and get a citation and possibly a ride to the station?

I've been through an experience where all of my personal info was taken down with a scolding to not do it again or else.

I don't believe that I'd ever have any relaxed fun in the same city public place again, even at odd low, parker times. It only takes one nosy person, who maybe lives by the place, or just happens to network with neighbors, to get a call at almost any time of day.

Once you get the info made legal record and the speech given to you...aren't you tense if you go back?

Good questions. Here's my take on these angles . For starters: this will assume we're talking about a location where there is not any true & specific "no md'ing" law/rule. Such that, whoever is griping , is just because of some ancillary things they think applies. Eg.: holes, or alter or deface or remove, etc.... Thus don't anyone think that my thoughts on your question is "promoting law breaking". This is just for those grey-area places @ routine innocuous parks. Not obvious sensitive monuments where there may-in-fact be specific language.

In my experience, whenever a cop takes out his steno pad, and writes down your name and such, it is just a bluff . Just to look scary to you. It's not being entered into any data-base somewhere. I know because I've even had my "name taken down" multiple times (given enough years) on the same location. No one is cross-referencing, or recalling you from a prior warning, based on their having taken your info @ an earlier occasion.

NATURALLY this does not apply to if your back a day or week later, and the same cop wants to scram you. Because , of course, you will be in their recent memory. But in cases of "6 months" or a "year later" or a "different cop", then .... no ... I've never had any issues with the name-taken phenomenon.

Perhaps an LEO could chime in here, to confirm what I'm saying. That these times where a cop jots down your name (yet no ticket, no real/specific rule, etc...) that those are just bluffs to make it look hard-core. Because, trust me: The cops have bigger fish to fry than a geek with a detector who looks for pennies.

As for the other part of your question, about prior scrams leaving the md'r with a "looking over his shoulder" feeling: Sure, this is inevitable. HOWEVER, this is EXACTLY WHAT DRIVES the very scrutiny that simply leads to future questions. Think about it: If you're detecting an innocuous park, with the skittish evasive behavior @ every passerby, then .... sure as h*ck: People pick up on that body language. And that merely makes them think "Gee what's that person doing ?"

So the first and foremost thing is to NOT display this "Oh no, does he see me ?" persona . If you stare down passing cop cars with this evasive body language, then that's the FASTEST way to draw attention to yourself.

Hence, ironically, sometimes the best attitude to have, is to "act like you own the place". And then ironically, you're more likely to be ignored. Doh!

X2. If this has worked for Skippy, then more power to him. But the average park personnel nosy-parker that I've ever bumped into, would not be very persuaded by the word-jumbles.

We can switch up words and substitute "pop" "probe", "pry", in place of "dig" and "plug". And while I agree that , yes, we can be neater about our work. Yet the average busy-body griper is not likely to enter into a discussion about the merits of the different methods/words. All they know is: "You're a man with a detector who was poking into nice manicured turf".

NOT THAT I WOULDN'T push back with these logical reasonings, if I was getting any sort of scrams. But I certainly wouldn't parade myself in front of any potential trouble, thinking that word-play is going to get me carte-blanche approvals. The much better tactic (IMHO) is: Go at lower traffic times and avoid such kill-joys from the git-go ;)

excellent point tom! well said! not all of us have a "pelosi " mind set!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Good questions. Here's my take on these angles . For starters: this will assume we're talking about a location where there is not any true & specific "no md'ing" law/rule. Such that, whoever is griping , is just because of some ancillary things they think applies. Eg.: holes, or alter or deface or remove, etc.... Thus don't anyone think that my thoughts on your question is "promoting law breaking". This is just for those grey-area places @ routine innocuous parks. Not obvious sensitive monuments where there may-in-fact be specific language.

In my experience, whenever a cop takes out his steno pad, and writes down your name and such, it is just a bluff . Just to look scary to you. It's not being entered into any data-base somewhere. I know because I've even had my "name taken down" multiple times (given enough years) on the same location. No one is cross-referencing, or recalling you from a prior warning, based on their having taken your info @ an earlier occasion.

NATURALLY this does not apply to if your back a day or week later, and the same cop wants to scram you. Because , of course, you will be in their recent memory. But in cases of "6 months" or a "year later" or a "different cop", then .... no ... I've never had any issues with the name-taken phenomenon.

Perhaps an LEO could chime in here, to confirm what I'm saying. That these times where a cop jots down your name (yet no ticket, no real/specific rule, etc...) that those are just bluffs to make it look hard-core. Because, trust me: The cops have bigger fish to fry than a geek with a detector who looks for pennies.

As for the other part of your question, about prior scrams leaving the md'r with a "looking over his shoulder" feeling: Sure, this is inevitable. HOWEVER, this is EXACTLY WHAT DRIVES the very scrutiny that simply leads to future questions. Think about it: If you're detecting an innocuous park, with the skittish evasive behavior @ every passerby, then .... sure as h*ck: People pick up on that body language. And that merely makes them think "Gee what's that person doing ?"

So the first and foremost thing is to NOT display this "Oh no, does he see me ?" persona . If you stare down passing cop cars with this evasive body language, then that's the FASTEST way to draw attention to yourself.

Hence, ironically, sometimes the best attitude to have, is to "act like you own the place". And then ironically, you're more likely to be ignored. Doh!

this is "dead nuts" right! exactly the way i act when in a public place! show 'confidence" in what you are doing, people WILL pick up on this, and consequently "leave you alone!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom