Best home defense weapon?

Clint Smith knows a thing or two about weaponscraft, as he's been an instructor for 40yrs, and his take on home defense with a shotgun is worth paying attention to. He tells it like it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbqe7idEcLM

I tell you, as my age advances and my physical skills decline accordingly, my propensity for H2H conflict diminishes...I used to relish and look forward to displaying my Manliness in a confrontation, blowing some Home Invading perp clean out of their socks with a shotgun blast etc....not so much anymore....too much clean up and paper work...

I have developed a great appreciation for a good little dog as my primary first line of defense/warning...If I cant bravely scuttle off and am cornered, cant talk my way out of it, and forced into it...then OK, here comes old Mr Woody the axe handle! Hope you got good dental! Your teeth will be hitting the floor like a chicklet gumball machine explosion! :laughing:

This little guy I got now? Lhasa Apso of some sort, inherited from poor old G'maw when she went into the nursing home...he doesnt think he is a dog at all, he thinks he is some sort of old pist off Human...Lhasas are a strange old breed intended to protect the Temples of Buddhist Monks way out in the lawless and mountainous hinterlands of the Himalayan valleys...Thats what they said on the Westminster Dog show anyway.... Sturdy compact little fellow, They have a shelf life of about 18yrs...

When people ask down at the dog park, I tell them he is a 'Miniature Mongolian Mastiff'....like some sort of fancy designer dog! Like a 'Labradoodle' or 'Peekypoo'.... Its pretty descriptive and accurate for my little guy though! 'Miniature Mongolian Mastiff'...Or 'MiniMoMa' if you will... He thinks and sounds a lot bigger than he is, fearless, territorial, always frosty 24/7...He has good ears and eyes and nose even, notices anything out of place or strange and alerts me...He dont eat a whole lot and is no trouble to clean up after, not like a big dog anyway...He dont bark for no reason either...

This is one tough dangerous Planet, a guy needs a good dog around...I cant imagine getting any kind of sleep without a good dog in the house...He dont look like much, and thats OK with me...He's got one purpose, and thats to have my six...He his not expected to do anything brave and attack/defend/ dial 911/ or save a drowning kid...Although I'm sure he would if it came to it...He thinks he is 10' tall and bullet proof, ....He likes to dress fancy and show off even, pick a fight against extreme odds for no reason...like I did when I was his age...

Attachments

• gmaw and pai.jpg
    gmaw and pai.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
The weapon that you choose for self-defense is a personal one. There is no one weapon that will be perfect for every person or every possible scenario. An axe handle might work for some, but if you weigh 110lbs and the intruder is 6'2" at 250lbs a bat or axe handle is not going to serve you very well. The Intruder might be on a crystal meth binge having not slept for days, completely delirious and hallucinating. Personally, I would take a gun over a bat or a knife any day. I have seen people get hit with baseball bats and it did not even faze them. If you put all of your energy into a swing, and miss, you just put yourself in a very vulnerable position, unless you are trained in hand-to-hand combat, which most people are not. The idea is to shut down the threat as quickly as possible, especially an intruder who has found his way into your home. And nothing does that better than a gun. Especially a shotgun. I would rather be cleaning up his entrails than my blood. Used shotguns are pretty cheap. Don't put too low of a price on your life and security. And you don't need a 12 gauge either, a 20 gauge is plenty of power for home defense and it doesn't kick like a mule. As far as cameras, they're great for evidence but they don't do much in the way of deterrence. It will deter some, but not all. I live in South Florida, and every night on the news they show home videos of criminals doing what criminals do, all while knowing they are being recorded. Burglaries, home invasions, robberies, they just don't care. I'm not saying don't get them, they are very useful, especially the ones that connect to your phone, alert you, and show you real time video. They will definitely help convict a scumbag, and exonerate you in a self-defense situation. For deterrence, I do have multiple signs posted on my property. Multiple beware of dog signs, even though I have no dog. Alarm signs, and no alarm. Surveillance signs to go with my cameras. And probably my most effective signs that's say 'There's nothing here worth dying for' with a picture of a revolver loaded with hollow points pointing forward. I have been lucky so far.

Last edited:
I would rather be cleaning up his entrails than my blood.
It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Regardless of your chosen method of physical defense, training is a must! It's not enough to go to the range once or twice a year. Just because you shot well your last time out isn't enough either. Can you do it with your weak hand? Can you reload one handed? Have you practiced shooting around a barrier, and can you do it right or left handed?

That said, a good run is still better than a bad stand, especially if you lack confidence. The idea is NOT to be a hero. Your goal should be to survive!

It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Regardless of your chosen method of physical defense, training is a must! It's not enough to go to the range once or twice a year. Just because you shot well your last time out isn't enough either. Can you do it with your weak hand? Can you reload one handed? Have you practiced shooting around a barrier, and can you do it right or left handed?

That said, a good run is still better than a bad stand, especially if you lack confidence. The idea is NOT to be a hero. Your goal should be to survive!

I've only had a couple of experiences of actually grabbing a gun during the night inside my house. I could have maybe shot a round off, but I could have frozen. I don't think that there is ANY training to get you ready for the reality of firing at anything, in those "once in a lifetime" decisions. Nothing but for maybe ex military training, which I ain't had at all.

My take, is that a gun, even shooting in the ground or in the ceiling, should make a statement to an intruder.

Those first moments in time, after you literally grab and hold a firearm after you hear a noise in the house, and consider shooting at someone...is indescribable. Your mind is all over the chart, the heart is pounding, and the weapon you chose is out of control for any precision.

Training is good. Is it going to make a real difference at "those moments?" Maybe

My take, is that a gun, even shooting in the ground or in the ceiling, should make a statement to an intruder.
My thought on that, is that a warning shot is a round wasted.
Sure, it might scare someone off, but if it doesn't, you're down a round that you might really want to have back before it's over. For all you know, it could easily just cause the now angry or scared to death perp to open fire.

You never know how long a gunfight might last, and I've never talked to anyone that has said they wished they had less ammo. Shooting well is more important than shooting fast or a lot. Every round counts. And that's one reason why regular drill is important. Intimate familiarity with your weapon is another. Time spent fumbling for a slide release or even stuffing the next mag in is time you might not have.

Everyone has their own philosophy, and everyone is different, particularly under stress. Being aware of your own limitations is an important factor too.

120 lbs of suspicious buddy that doesn't like company when I'm not around.

sarge-2.jpg

At both front and rear doors if first defense fails.

door-gun.jpg

Just get a handgun. There are several subcompact 9mm pistols out there for under $200.00. You can get a .380Auto for 169.00 if you look around. You can also get a Hi-Point 9mm pistol for 165.00.

Living smart is always the best deterrent. Making sure everything is locked all the time, even when you are home. Keep blinds/curtains closed if you care not using the room. Make sure you can't lift those old aluminum single pane windows out of their frames. You can put lights on timers etc. Some people leave nothing in their cars and don't lock it at night so no one jimmies the doors or breaks the windows to get inside for change. Motion flood lights are a must.

There are also books how to plant your yard 'defensively'. There are a great many shrubs that look gorgeous and also have 2" thorns on them. Some have bristling hairs that break off in the skin etc. Plant them around ground level windows. Broken hazelnut side paths along the house make A LOT of noise when you try and walk on them. Wanna know if they place is being cased? Buy a game camera for 80 bucks and shove it in a bush.

Here's the ultimate test. Can you break into your own house? I locked myself out of my house.. and I did just that! I was sickened that it was SO EASY! Mainly because the old windows, just lifted out of the tracks! Once inside I had forgotten to lock the door knob but put on the flip lock to the stairs. Three hard shoulders and I was in! Now I had access to the main floor! Took less than 5 minutes.

Again, I ask WHY are you moving to a place where this would be an issue? People in many places in the US and outside the US must be reading this and LAUGHING THEIR BUTTS OFF as to some of these answers. Why would you want to move to a place that you might have to be swinging an axe handle or a bat at someone in the night?
Dude, you're 18, pick a better place to live!

Again, I ask WHY are you moving to a place where this would be an issue?

Maybe that's where is best opportunity for employment is? It might be that he got hired by a company that pays a premium because it's not exactly a place that most people will go to, and he's willing to chance it.
Let's not judge him for this choice, but offer constructive advice.

Roger

Dogs, signs, and cameras are prevention but a gun is self protection. Buy one get trained in using it and keep it with you. If it were not for my gun I would have been dead 18 years ago.
It’s to late to wish you had one when you need it most.
The best part of that it is you right and responsibility to own and maintain one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got me a pair of them there noun chucks. Easy to use if you've seen as many of them hi karate movies as I have!

Ok actually just get a gun, IF you have used them before and have been though something similar to hunter safety or weapons training of some type.

Only had to use one once in a situation. You would be amazed the calming effect it can have on a perpetrator until the police arrive.

A shotgun is logically best. I personally went to an AR15, 30 round clip, right by my bed, locked and loaded. With the shorter 30" carbine barrel length...the AR is light and easy to handle.

Popping off a few rounds, would make an intruder really stupid NOT to haul butt. If not? He has a real problem. My clip still has rounds.

One shotgun blast would certainly do it though.

My inside dog is super instinctive though. She gives me the time to get my firing safety off and be ready. Best of two worlds for me.

psst...it's a magazine, not a clip :) and the barrel isn't 30"...it's probably 16" ;)

Seriously though, an AR is a GREAT defensive weapon, but I wouldn't suggest "popping off a few rounds" both for legal reasons (you weren't in fear for your life if you didn't shoot to kill) and for safety reasons. The .223/5.56 round will easily penetrate walls and potentially hurt someone next door (unless you're using Glaser's in it). A shotgun is by far superior for close quarters.

As for the original question, it depends on what you mean by "home defense weapon"? Do you mean something that you, yourself, can use to protect yourself and your property with violence? If so, since you don't want a firearm (good choice IMHO since a firearm in the hands of someone who doesn't want one is generally a BAD idea), I'd suggest a baseball bat. While it isn't a distance weapon, it certainly is easy to use with just minimal training.

If you're really looking for a deterrent, then I'd suggest cameras for after the fact (as pointed out, the sign just lets smart criminals know to steal the DVR), an alarm with posted signs (and get a real alarm, not just the fake signs. Criminals know what they look like).

In any case, don't make your home a target. Don't advertise valuables...if you get a new TV or anything expensive, don't throw the box away in your own garbage without first breaking it down and putting it in a trash bag.

The old saying goes "the best defense is a good offense"....however, I think that's the second best defense. The REAL best defense is avoidance :)

The REAL best defense is avoidance :)

Lots of fun reading and good advice in this thread! Sadly right? A guy can go right through about any door/wall or window or even the side of a house like a fart through a mitten with minimum effort...bust off any lock easy...so yeah...evade and avoid...

Look poor, crazy and possibly dangerous to the Predators......Appear to be weak and innocent in the eyes of the Law....A guy can maintain an equilibrium...Dont let yourself become so dangerous and crazy you scare off the wrong people...Or so weak looking you attract the wrong ones...Unless thats what you want...there are benefits to both...

Hey guys just wanna day I appreciate all the advice and information everyone gave me! I ended up ordering myself a few of the cameras that were posted originally and a nice Louisville slugger! [emoji16]

"psst...it's a magazine, not a clip and the barrel isn't 30"...it's probably 16"

DOH! Yes, it is a 16" barrel. Where I got 30 inches, I don't know.

"psst...it's a magazine, not a clip and the barrel isn't 30"...it's probably 16"

DOH! Yes, it is a 16" barrel. Where I got 30 inches, I don't know.

That's likely the overall length.

It IS a fun weapon...I have two of them that I built. Have a third stripped lower that I need to decide what to build it out to.

Just get a handgun. There are several subcompact 9mm pistols out there for under $200.00. You can get a .380Auto for 169.00 if you look around. You can also get a Hi-Point 9mm pistol for 165.00.
My home is my largest investment, and my life is my most valuable possession. So why would I spend the least possible amount on inadequate and unreliable means of protecting them? I consider a .380 inadequate, and Hi-Point is laughably unreliable. I actually hope that the invader thinks like you do, because it's added insurance that they will be the ones carried out in a rubber bag.

It IS a fun weapon...I have two of them that I built. Have a third stripped lower that I need to decide what to build it out to.
They are fun, easy to assemble and customize, and it's a flexible platform. I have several configurations in 5.56, a couple in .300BLK, and the next one will likely be 6.5 Grendel.

My home is my largest investment, and my life is my most valuable possession. So why would I spend the least possible amount on inadequate and unreliable means of protecting them? I consider a .380 inadequate, and Hi-Point is laughably unreliable. I actually hope that the invader thinks like you do, because it's added insurance that they will be the ones carried out in a rubber bag.

They are fun, easy to assemble and customize, and it's a flexible platform. I have several configurations in 5.56, a couple in .300BLK, and the next one will likely be 6.5 Grendel.

I don’t want a gun not sure if you guys read that in the first post haha

Back
Top Bottom