No buried coins in north Alabama

256steves

I've come to the conclusion after 5 days of searching ,that there's nothing of value buried in n.Alabama,just junk.(I have a large collection of scrap metal).But I'm not giving up.

:lol: :lol: :lol:DOn't give up, it takes awhile but you will find coins soon. Look at it this way, you need the practice so when you do find good stuff you will know how to retrieve it carefully :lol:

hehehehehehe, been there, done that, I was happy the first day I came home from the lake with 2 cents !!!

DON'T give up now, the finds will now begin to trickle it !!!!

I live in the sticks too, and the nice ones can be scarce at times. Don't sweat it though, they will show up. Do your research and keep on swingin!

dont give up. you know as well as i do that a lot of indian and civil war action in that area especially around my hometown of decatur.
Paul

Hang in there!! I used to think the same thing up here in RI, and all of a sudden one day, I started finding the good stuff! Best of luck to you!

The first thing you need to change is the speed of your swing - I'm sure you are swinnging way too fast if you covered Alabama in 5 days :lol:

Slow down - a fast pace makes you miss most deep targets - on relic sites the deep hits are usualy much older than the surface - the surface is covered with junk, which hides the good stuff underneet.
if you have regular and good sites, then remove some of the junk - or get a smaller coil for your detector. A small coil is excellent for thrashy sites as it can allow you to find good targets next to junk.

if you are only interested in coins, then get one of each type, put it in the ground listen to what your detector tells you - most coins has a solid sound, which is easy to seperate from a pull tab.

Take a few days to learn your detector by digging in sand - it allows for fast recovery pay attention to the tones, and see if you remember them.

Search the net, and read about how successfull/experienced MD'ers do - you can eventualy join a local MD club, to get to know somebody who can guide you in the right detection.

remember - research is everything - the best/oldest sites are producing the best finds.

I recall when I started with this hobby last winter, that I were pretty shure that mother earth were mad of dirt, sand, rocks, cigarette paper and pulltabs.

I did actually get 1 coin the first day I were out, but it took me a few days to find a nice spot with more finds. - when I located that spot, I searched it a bit, and then I started to search nearby promissing spots - the reason for that was that I wanted to see something coming out of the earth every time I went out, and that way I could search unproductive sites, and return to the sites I knew were producing when I had confirmed that there were no loot on the new spots. - Today that one spot has turned into a lot of nice and productive sites, and more places are added on a regular basis.

Here's an easy tip to help you verify if a new site is proming - sweep the place, and dig the solid signals - leave the ones which does not sound familar. This will allow you to see if a spot is worth a further investigation. Coins are like dogs, and they like to be with other coins! Make a note of the spot, and see if you can guess what that place were used for earlier in time - you will find that some places are better than others, but there will be a system.

Have fun

Don't get discuraged, they will come. Go to the library and looks at old maps and that historical society is a great place to begin.

We're in the same boat as you but we're not giving up! Believe me, we do a little dance every time we find a burried penny because we dig up so many nails, screws, bolts and bottle caps. Can't give up... seek and ye shall find!

Don't give up!

Get out to the woodchips at a school. You'll get lots of targets and it will tune you into your detectors sounds and pinpointing. You'll be a pro in no time!

You posted your note in December - any news to report since then?

I was in Falkville several years ago and I dug all the good coins and rings, so you're right - there's nothing left there.

(Just kidding!)

Lot's of good advice, but I'll add my 2 cents actually 3 cents.

1. Practice in a test garden so you get an understanding, in a controlled environment, of what your machine is telling you. Different coins at different depths, some tabs, caps, etc.
2. Swing slow and low. Give your machine time to identify the target and recover, keep consistent depth. Lifting at the end of the swing just killed your depth.
3. Overlap your swings. A "W" is made up of 2 "v's" The v represents how your coil penitrates the ground.( or picture 2 ice cream cones next to each other) If you do not overlap, that space between the v's is what you are not scanning. You could scan an area and in reality you missed 33% of it. IMHO... one reason a lot of areas are never hunted out....

Good luck and keep us posted. It gets easier.

Back
Top Bottom