Finding coins, jewelry buried.

whiskynitro

Sorry if this type of ? has been asked and I'm sure something similar has.

I think metal detecting is pretty cool just in the fact that you can find something that someone last touched a hundred years ago. that being said the main reason i want to try it is because of a story i overheard several times as a kid. I cannot get it out of my mind and if the story doesn't pan out then oh well i'll be happy finding an old screwdriver as well.

I am looking for a detector that would be good for finding coins and/or jewelry that could be buried in a mason jar(s). That's it. The main thing i want to look for is just that, but i have heard it could be buried anywhere from 1 - 2 feet down. I have not seen a detector that can see coins that deep. although this would be more than one coin; a dozen or more in one jar. cash also but i know it wont detect that.

Basically need to find coins in a mason jar possibly two feet underground. I do not need anything fancy; just something that will go off if it detects metals that far down. I would like to spend no more than 300 but if i need to spend more that's fine. this story has been bugging me forever.

I have looked at Bounty Hunter and Garrett but do not know which models. Maybe that's not the brand i need anyway. Like i said i want to end a curiosity so whatever it takes. $100 great $1000 sucks but that is fine if it gets it out of my head!

Please give me your recommendations and i'm sorry i talk/type so much.

Thank you

Sorry if this type of ? has been asked and I'm sure something similar has.

I think metal detecting is pretty cool just in the fact that you can find something that someone last touched a hundred years ago. that being said the main reason i want to try it is because of a story i overheard several times as a kid. I cannot get it out of my mind and if the story doesn't pan out then oh well i'll be happy finding an old screwdriver as well.

I am looking for a detector that would be good for finding coins and/or jewelry that could be buried in a mason jar(s). That's it. The main thing i want to look for is just that, but i have heard it could be buried anywhere from 1 - 2 feet down. I have not seen a detector that can see coins that deep. although this would be more than one coin; a dozen or more in one jar. cash also but i know it wont detect that.

Basically need to find coins in a mason jar possibly two feet underground. I do not need anything fancy; just something that will go off if it detects metals that far down. I would like to spend no more than 300 but if i need to spend more that's fine. this story has been bugging me forever.

I have looked at Bounty Hunter and Garrett but do not know which models. Maybe that's not the brand i need anyway. Like i said i want to end a curiosity so whatever it takes. $100 great $1000 sucks but that is fine if it gets it out of my head!

Please give me your recommendations and i'm sorry i talk/type so much.

Thank you

Hate to tell you but you might need to go more than that $1000 to do this right.
Some detectors could possibly hit a mason jar at a foot, but if this thing is past that or actually closer to the 2' area or deeper you will need something called a 2 box unit.
Do some research on this type.

Since it is just a story maybe you want to start a little cheaper so look at an F2 with a 10" or DD coil, an Ace 250 or 350 but I would think you might need bigger coils on those also to hit that 1' mark, maybe a Tesoro Silver but again to reach a foot you will need a big coil and some of those ain't cheap.

Looking for coins and jewelry the regular ways we do this is one thing, but in your case this could be considered true treasure hunting.

To do that and have a shot at finding targets like this that deep, you need to spend money to make money...and even then it is a crapshoot.

You might want to check out the White's TM 808 and Fisher Gemini 3. They go deep on caches, by design.

The TM 808 is easily available but the Gemini 3 is starting to become a low stock item, although it wouldn't take much effort to find someone with either one in stock.

The TM 808 is designed to be used by a single operator in an assembled fashion. The Gemini 3 can be held in two pieces at farther distances by two operators, or one operator by leaving the transmitter on the ground.

I wish you the best of luck in your search for the right detector and of course, in finding the treasure that you seek.

Hello,

If this is the only reason you are buying a detector then I honestly wouldn't even purchase one... Its not a cheap hobby as time is money as well lol and trust me you will spend a lot of time in it... I would hope you would do a lot of reading and if this didn't spark that desire to go hunting then again I would not purchase a detector...

If you do feel like you would use it often then I would go with a good medium price point of about 400 to 600 bucks and get a true jack of all trades detector...

JR

I always thought a 2 box needed to have a bigger target than a dozen or so coins?
If it is a bigger target than that it would be perfect.
If you had the money I'd get a Garrett 2500 GTI and the Treasure Hound 2 box kit.
I wouldn't be surprised if the 2500 hit a jar of silver coins 2 feet down on it's own.
Heck I can hit a manhole cover 2' down with my Ace 250...

Back
Top Bottom