Key date or no key date..

Lightningjack

Forum Supporter
I just found this today & don't want to get to excited yet..I'm just curious what you all think, is this a key-date 1922 plain wheat or just to worn to tell..Would I be wasting my time sending it in to get it checked out. I haven't cleaned it with anything & am afraid to..Thanks..

peny-1.jpg

peny3-1.jpg

At first it does look like a 1924 UNTIL you look at it from an angle. Then I'd say it sure looks like a 1922 no D. Once you can make out the last 2 it gets a lot easier to see it. Absolutely!!!!! Congratulations. Here is an interesting link I found as last week I found a No. 3 Die weak D 1922.

Be interesting to see of its the #2 or the #3

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/1922Ddievarieties.html

NebTrac

I'd call it the 1922 No D Die 3 weak reverse. Would like to see see the reverse picture too, if you don't mind.

NebTrac

I'd call it the 1922 No D Die 3 weak reverse. Would like to see see the reverse picture too, if you don't mind.

NebTrac

No problem!! Thanks for the help I really appreciate it..I tried to get a better pic of the front too & when I went to flip it over for the back picture it was sideways some, I flipped it 4 or 5 times to make sure & it came out sideways every time, So I just took the pic the way it flipped, Looks kinda funny..

wht1.jpg

wht2.jpg

http://www.valuable-coin-stories.com/1922-penny.html

I was trying to see if I could pull it out. This is a very tricky one.

It COULD be a two based on angle of the other two, however, there is a lower piece that COULD look as though it's a 4, but the 1922 penny's did get rather close to the edge. The 1924 penny's seem to be further away from the edge.... but this is a tough one.

picture.php

http://www.valuable-coin-stories.com/1922-penny.html

I was trying to see if I could pull it out. This is a very tricky one.

It COULD be a two based on angle of the other two, however, there is a lower piece that COULD look as though it's a 4, but the 1922 penny's did get rather close to the edge. The 1924 penny's seem to be further away from the edge.... but this is a tough one.

picture.php

If it is a 4, it is in a weird position and is too far away from the 2. I believe it is a 2.

Awesome find!

I see a 4, but like the poster above me said, it seem misplaced. I hope that it does end up being a 2. Why not send it in to get checked, you have more potential gain than loss imho.

I believe it's a 2.

1924 coins had a 4 just as you see it here ( 4 ) the horizontal line sticks out beyond the vertical line, and it's simply not present and would be over the edge of the coin if it was present.

Either way, it looks like it's quite possibly from a worn die because whether it's a 2 or a 4 it's not aligned properly... IMO

Get it checked, quoted elsewhere:

"If you happen to have a coin of this type that has not been certified, it is strongly recommended that you do so. Charges are reasonable, and well worth the expense given the potential value of the 1922 plain penny. "

I'm sorry, but I don't see where you see a second 2. Looks like a 4 to me.

Back
Top Bottom