Petersburg Civil War Digs

Waterhead

Hey Peeps,

Here are a couple of pics of some civil war relics I dug in the Petersburg area today.

The big iron buckle is to a Carbine Roller Sling Buckle. This loop hooked into the round ring on the side of the Calvary Soldiers carbine to hold the gun. The rest of the buckle attached to the carbine sling across the soldiers chest. It held the gun across the lap while the soldier was riding. It also kept the soldier from loosing his carbine during heavy riding and allowed him to shoulder his gun while on the horse.

Also dug were two Eagle cuff buttons and one jacket size Eagle button. The face of one of the cuff buttons broke so I did not photograph it.

The bullets include a .44 caliber Sage pistol bullet for the .44 caliber Colt Army Revolver and a standard .58 caliber Minie' Ball. The best find is the .58 caliber Minie' Ball sporting not 3 but 5 rings. I have collected civil war bullets & ammunition for years and have never seen one of these bullets I am stoked!

And the last but not least....is a broken section of a colonial period shoe buckle.

The best part is, I did not cut the lawn today...oh well!

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• DSC04133.JPG
    DSC04133.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 607
  • DSC04131.JPG
    DSC04131.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 525
  • DSC04132.JPG
    DSC04132.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 523
Those are certainly some great finds. You are certainly in the right area for finding those relics. Congratulations!!:yes:

Back
Top Bottom