No way! 1914-D Wheat Penny and more!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Went out for a couple of local detecting hunts, last evening and this morning. Got a couple of good permissions at a 1906 and a 1908 home in town.

The yard from last nite produced a Silver Merc, Silver Rosie, Silver war nickel, a 1925 Buffalo and the usual wheaties and misc coins. Also found was a really cool two part F.O.E. (Fraternal Order of Eagles) medallion. The top part was a cast bronze Eagle with F.O.E., the bottom part that attached separately was heart shaped, with red enamel, marked "RAVALLI AERIE 1693 / MONTANA STATE CONVENTION 1912" - a nice local item!

The permission this morning was just across the street, and the coins were thick, including many old ones! I recovered a 1907 Indian Head penny, a Buffalo nickel (which I gave to the owner), a newer .925 heavy Silver Ring, a Silver Rosie, 1902 Liberty Head nickel, a non precious chain with a 1943 Canadian Cent and a 1944 US Wheat penny, both holed and part of the chain. Also found was a cool "deco" style jewelry pin, and the usual wheaties and more modern coins. Checking the wheat pennies when I got home, I was shocked to find a 1914 with the "D" mintmark! Probably the only one I'll ever find. Nice shape and nice green patina, not a fake for sure!

Another find from this yard was an old The Brunswick, Balke Collender Co. 12 1/2 Cents trade token from "R.C.C." A quick internet search did not bring any answers, might stand for "Ravalli C.C." Commercial Company? Not sure, might be a local Montana token, and I was happy to pull this one out! I did give it a light "kiss" with the lesche but it was under some wiry roots and I had a hard time getting it out.

It is amazing how many folks are interested in watching a guy detect! Both last nite, and this a.m., I must have been the neighborhood entertainment as I had various folks watching to see what would come out of the ground! Hope everyone is doing great and thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 465
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 457
  • coins4.jpg
    coins4.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 461
  • coins5.jpg
    coins5.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 459
  • coins6.jpg
    coins6.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 458
  • coins3.jpg
    coins3.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
That 14-D is beautiful!! It's one of 2 wheaties i am missing! Huge congrats on that rare dig!!

Great finds! WTG on the 14'D, and not damaging it getting it out! That looks like it was some fun hunting!

Congrats on a great variety of finds! That 14D is in much better shape than the one I found last year! Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that's some good diggings! Silver coins, nickel trifecta, silver ring, old holed coins still on the chain, vintage jewelry, Fraternity of Eagles badge, and a key date coin? Heck, no wonder you have spectators!

Back
Top Bottom