Grey Ghosts problem?

AlpoRanch

Is there anyone else who has owned or own some Grey Ghosts where the wires inside the sheathing have become separated just above the strain reliever on the detector plug end (ctx). I've had it happen twice. The sheathing stays intact but the wires inside become stressed and separate. Just curious if it's just me and I'm doing something wrong.

I have a pair for my AT pro...no problems but I cant say that I like them. Im currently swapping out a pair of Grey Ghost off of an excal for a friend with a custom set of PB7's that I make because the volume knob is causing static issues.
I know that doesn't pertain too much to your connector issue but needless to say if the wire is not wide enough in diameter inside the strain relief where is tightens down onto the wire then its possible that stress and pull will cause issues. I had a similar problem with a connector that way so I inserted another oring/rubber washer where it clamps down and it worked perfectly.

May want to change out the connector to a straight or 90 degree version with a spiral strain relief.

It is the stress point and putting your detector down with the headphones on your head does the unthinkable, broken wires/insulation or whatever.
I had a pair of Infinium headphone go the way your CTX's did. The weakest point is going to fail at some time. I now have enough length on all my headphones to come off the detector and be taped to the shaft under the forearm before a strain relief lets the cable wave in the air at the shaft's end behind my elbow. I have not had a headphone cable problem in over 6 years now.

Don't

Know that answer , i have the gray ghost ultimate's and WP CTX version no issues , however you know that Gary Storm left the company , so Detector Pro product's won't be the same, i know they will not honor fixing product's since change of ownership, i inquired about updating the old style WP phone's to the companies new style waterproof phone's -NO GO . NO problem, i just won't buy squat from them , they keep the same name Detector Pro., but won't honor upgrades on the older GS - product's :roll::no:

It is the stress point and putting your detector down with the headphones on your head does the unthinkable, broken wires/insulation or whatever.
I had a pair of Infinium headphone go the way your CTX's did. The weakest point is going to fail at some time. I now have enough length on all my headphones to come off the detector and be taped to the shaft under the forearm before a strain relief lets the cable wave in the air at the shaft's end behind my elbow. I have not had a headphone cable problem in over 6 years now.

Most factory headphone cables are too short (10 -12 feet). On the ones I've had to repair, I go with a 15 or 20 foot (extended) coiled cable, use spiral strain reliefs on the connector, 90 degree connector if available.

Thanks for the info!!!! Yeah, this is happening right at the top of the strain reliever as the reliever is too stiff so it doesn't relieve, just causes stress. I'll probably investigate repairing on my own. I'll track down a link for a CTX plug.

Its an M12 connector. When i put one together i always use a small piece of shrink tube as well as the coiled strain relief to stiffen up the cable at that point. Never had an issue. Look for the newer M12s you can just screw the wires into then a dab of solder ..... lot easier. Also.... you need to ensure you use the right pins...... you have 2 wires, but need to use 3 pins. Put one wire on the CORRECT PIN...... then the other wire on the one next to it and run a bead of solder across to the next pin...... using 3 pins. You may already know all of this ..... but heres a picture.

Attachments

• 20160410_173750.jpg
    20160410_173750.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 119
Back
Top Bottom