Saturday lake hunt a bust

Ron 71

Forum Supporter
I left home Sat. morning about 4:15 to reach the N. Hampshire lakes region before 6am, I don't get to the lake all that often so I was excited about a nice all day hunt with maybe a keeper or two for the troubles..... Well, what I got was two hours of hunting, 35 junk targets, and a broken scoop handle. :mad: My first four targets were 3 beavertail tabs and one square tab, my first thought was, great with lot's of beavertail tabs I don't think anyone's hunted it. You wouldn't leave all them tabs looking for gold but after recovering 35 targets before my scoop broke I didn't have a single coin, not even a rotten zinc. Oh well, gotta get skunked sometimes I guess. Hope you all had a great weekend and HH!

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

I used a wood handle for a year or two and could hear it complaining every time I leaned on it a bit hard. So I got a fiberglass handle and so far it has performed well.

I will positively not complain anymore about any bad hunt of mine!

Keep at it, bound to be some gold there! Get a new handle, ensure the grain is perpendicular to the stain. I feel your pain on not getting to the lakes often enough. I need to get back up to them here myself, so hard to get the time. Difficult balance between family etc.

Take care and happy hunting!

Oh No!. I've been waiting for that to happen to me.
When I can afford to I'll buy a spare scoop,
for now I'll settle for a spare handle or two
I used a wood handle for a year or two and could hear it complaining every time I leaned on it a bit hard. So I got a fiberglass handle and so far it has performed well.
I'll check that out, I'd love to lose a few lbs over the wood handle
I will positively not complain anymore about any bad hunt of mine!
:lol: Lol! I see a lot of "bad hunts" that are better than my "good hunts".
Sorry Ron you found pulltab lake!:no:
Thanks Metal! That's a good name for it, Seeing lots of beavertails I think about drunk people swimming in the 60s and that should mean gold nearby, but NO coins was disapointing.
Keep at it, bound to be some gold there! Get a new handle, ensure the grain is perpendicular to the stain. I feel your pain on not getting to the lakes often enough. I need to get back up to them here myself, so hard to get the time. Difficult balance between family etc.

Take care and happy hunting!
Thanks GS, Yeah if I'd have rotated it 180 degrees it would have been much stronger, I didn't even think of it when I put it together.

Sorry to hear of your bummer hunt. I have had a few so just keep going and better luck next hunt. Hope the bummers and few and far between and you kill it next hunt.
Bubbaron

You've got to go back there....that 7-up bottle cap is proof that there's treasure there....

7-up has the number 7 in its name
On Oak Island, 7 must die before the treasure is revealed
you dug 35 targets...35/5 = 7
your username is Ron71....it has a 7 in it, and you're number 1 with 7's
Your user number is 41911...using numerology, we add those number together, getting 16...1 plus 6 is....you guessed it....7
7 is a lucky number

I'm curious to try lake hunting, I tried my CTX at the beach in MA and found a 64 Kennedy half, I really should get to the water more especially in these heat waves.

I'm sure it was fun regardless of the lack of treasure on this hunt. Don't let that dissuade you.

It appears the handle was installed wrong. I thought the grain should go from front to back, not side to side. That is the weakest part of any wood.

It's out there hiding. You will find it.

It appears the handle was installed wrong. I thought the grain should go from front to back, not side to side. That is the weakest part of any wood.

Very interesting point about the handle installation...I've never thought of that.

All-in-all, you did not do too bad...add the aluminum trash you collect to a 5 gallon bucket and then when you get enough, take it to a nearby scrap metal yard for a few bucks. HH.

Had that happen to me on more than 1 occasion. Have since upgraded to a cf travel shaft. Huge difference
I need to do the same but too expensive for me right now,
It would be nice to make the scoop lighter as well.
Sorry to hear of your bummer hunt. I have had a few so just keep going and better luck next hunt. Hope the bummers and few and far between and you kill it next hunt.
Bubbaron
Thanks Ron, I hope so I could use a good hunt this year
You've got to go back there....that 7-up bottle cap is proof that there's treasure there....

7-up has the number 7 in its name
On Oak Island, 7 must die before the treasure is revealed
you dug 35 targets...35/5 = 7
your username is Ron71....it has a 7 in it, and you're number 1 with 7's
Your user number is 41911...using numerology, we add those number together, getting 16...1 plus 6 is....you guessed it....7
7 is a lucky number
:lol: Now I have to take the day off of work on the 17th :laughing:
iI feel your pain. keep at it- it will come, yellow that is
Yeah, we all have lousy hunts now and then but I still enjoy the hunt regardless of finds
I'm curious to try lake hunting, I tried my CTX at the beach in MA and found a 64 Kennedy half, I really should get to the water more especially in these heat waves.

I'm sure it was fun regardless of the lack of treasure on this hunt. Don't let that dissuade you.
Definitely fun getting out in the lake early am nice and quiet, awesome mountain views, that was the treasure this weekend. Sure beats sitting on the couch. Nice work on the 64 Ken, only year for 90% silver!

Yeah that was a dumb mistake, I work with wood and should have known better.
All-in-all, you did not do too bad...add the aluminum trash you collect to a 5 gallon bucket and then when you get enough, take it to a nearby scrap metal yard for a few bucks. HH.
I toss everything that's not iron or foil in a bucket, should be a good chunk of change in a few years
I had a lot of hunts like that one. Bummer about the handle.
Thanks Charlie, still better than being at work :yes:

Back
Top Bottom