How about a contest for the Wisconsin hunters?

IDXMonster

Elite Member
Oldest coin contest from this point on,running through Halloween? We are all pretty honest people here,and if you're not we know already...so don't go faking anything! I think it would be interesting to do because we just don't find Colonial coppers and Spanish silver on a regular basis,though it CAN happen! ANY COIN with a VISIBLE DATE would be eligible,and not from your current collection. Cheating at this would be like cheating at golf,only you know the truth. The coin can be from anywhere in the world,not just US coins....to make it even more weird....the oldest I've ever personally found is 1844 so there's oldies out there for sure. I'm not sure how the mods feel about contests,this is for bragging rights this year! All is to be done HONESTLY and with integrity. If you can't post pics you can't win,we have to SEE it! Maybe a separate section for this? Just trying to get everyone involved with something extra to shoot for this season...

Sounds like a great game to get my rear end kicked playing . On a weekly basis so I'll start .. For 2016 my oldest coin is a 1952 nickel . Top that!

Lol! Alright Brad,I'll try to beat that,though per the rules unless you found it after I posted,it's not eligible and there's no pic,so....WAH-Wah-wah

Next!:lol:

Excellent Mick! Where exactly are you? Have you had some decent luck with older stuff around you? By "older stuff" I mean mid-late 1800s...

Sounds like fun! Count me in even though I've only found 1 1800's coin but you never know what's in the next hole

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Only a couple of times have I known what is in the "next hole",neither instance was pleasant...
Seriously,that's why we do this! If anyone would've told me the seated quarter I found the other day was going to be what it was,I would've been pretty skeptical! What I had going for me was....location-THE most important factor in metal detecting PERIOD. Normally,in this location,a 00-29 on the Explorer2 COULD be a normal quarter,but it's happened 2 other times with the result of 2 large cents. So,ANY conductive signal at 4-5"+ comes out of the ground here. It's not that way other places,I don't always dig everything conductive. Another at this same place was a deep zinc-ish signal,maybe an Indian,maybe not...it was the other seated coin I have,a half dime at 7"! The thrill of the hunt is so "little boy captivating" it's hard to understand other people not liking metal detecting or the very idea of it. For those of us who do,well,we know how it can take us over...in a GOOD way I think! So much to learn,to perfect,to find...it's really never ending.
I'm trying to think of a good way to keep track of everyone's finds without clogging up the forum. Can a moderator step in and maybe direct me/us to a good way of keeping records? It would be much appreciated and fun!
Thanks guys and girls!

IDXMonster

count me in. my oldest coins to date- 1912 wheat and 1916 merc. oldest this year, 1956 wheat. dew has me beat. me and dew are screwed. we dont know how to post pics. dew we will figure it out. :no:

count me in. my oldest coins to date- 1912 wheat and 1916 merc. oldest this year, 1956 wheat. dew has me beat. me and dew are screwed. we dont know how to post pics. dew we will figure it out. :no:

I'm sure between you and Brad you guys can figure it out!:yes: I'm not sure of the history around you guys but I will predict older finds this year. The essential part is getting on the right site. Though ANYTHING can be ANYWHERE the odds increase dramatically with research and knowledge of the area.
HINT: ANYWHERE THERE ARE/HAVE BEEN RAILROAD TRACKS....LOOK AROUND!
Areas around old tracks in town and by old trees or elevated areas can be excellent producers. Think of people back in that time period and what THEY would have done. More than likely,it's exactly what YOU would do. Also areas between the tracks and older houses....like...the route they would have taken to get TO the train. And of course...TEAROUTS! Many sidewalks were "boardwalks" with coins falling through the cracks. Old houses with front porches check thoroughly in the vicinity of the porch itself. Lastly,GRID! I've found myself walking around willy nilly and still do it sometimes. While it's possible to find a coin from doing that,the odds go up simply covering ground ONCE and THOROUGHLY. It can be gone over later from another direction,but chances are very good you'll hit it if the settings are right and it's 0-8",provided you have a capable machine,which I'm sure you guys do.
OK,that post was way longer than I thought it was going to be. Good luck with the pics!:D

sorry to derail... funny you mention tracks, thats how i got the merc. old train tracks for logging used to run through the woods on my lakewood property. after digging about 30 railroad spikes, i had to research on the history.
before the peshtigo fire, they were logging heavy by my cabin. i am guessing the merc survived the fire by being buried. just a guess.

Cold Coins

Do you have to be in Wisconsin to enter....or from there on up?

Do you have to be in Wisconsin to enter....or from there on up?

AK.....I don't have the authority to formally conduct any contests or enforce any rules of supposed contest. I would like to keep it for Wisconsin hunters just to see what WE can find,I know the guys out east will have us for lunch on the oldies so keeping it local gives everyone here a fair shake. I don't know how many forum guys are in Alaska but I can't imagine many,you could informally set up an Alaskan contest to see what's up there for old coins. And...you would have a damn good chance of winning it because of the low number of people!
Still waiting for direction from the mods....

sorry to derail... funny you mention tracks, thats how i got the merc. old train tracks for logging used to run through the woods on my lakewood property. after digging about 30 railroad spikes, i had to research on the history.
before the peshtigo fire, they were logging heavy by my cabin. i am guessing the merc survived the fire by being buried. just a guess.

One other advantage besides logging you guys may have is the trapping history in Wisconsin and any coinage those trappers may have carried. jack and jill(Trapper Ron) can chime in here about the details of that as that's his forte...though a lot of things were traded,there must have been SOME coins involved,and some of those could clearly have been Reales or bust coins. You guys would have to really home in on some maps and historical info to see where these people either WANTED to be or HAD to be,and go to that general area.
We need to get 4-5 guys together and pool some info on hunting strategies,techniques,do's and dont's....etc. I am READY to kick ass and take names this year! Whether or not that's gonna happen,who knows....

Kevin

AK.....I don't have the authority to formally conduct any contests or enforce any rules of supposed contest. I would like to keep it for Wisconsin hunters just to see what WE can find,I know the guys out east will have us for lunch on the oldies so keeping it local gives everyone here a fair shake. I don't know how many forum guys are in Alaska but I can't imagine many,you could informally set up an Alaskan contest to see what's up there for old coins. And...you would have a damn good chance of winning it because of the low number of people!
Still waiting for direction from the mods....

Not allowing a Packer fan from Alaska to compete???....jeez....You are cold, dude. I wouldn't be much competition....my oldest coin here is 1895, and I probably will never top that here.

Now it just doesn't sound fun anymore anyway.

Good luck to you guys.

Not allowing a Packer fan from Alaska to compete???....jeez....You are cold, dude. I wouldn't be much competition....my oldest coin here is 1895, and I probably will never top that here.

Good luck to you guys.

With all due respect AKD, having unbridled loyalty and dedication to the Green Bay Packers, is still only part of the equation. Eating copious abounds of cheese curds fresh wam and squeaky, not only deep fried, having beer on tap at the house and eating deep fried fish on Friday nights, are equally important.

Being a packer fan is easy, cause they are the "Pack", the rest as you know is difficult, if it were easy, women and children would be doing it.

IDX...I'm in.

Good luck to you guys.

thread title- wisconsin hunters. i would love to come to ak to hunt with you. i guess you could move here if you want to compete:laughing:

With all due respect AKD, having unbridled loyalty and dedication to the Green Bay Packers, is still only part of the equation. Eating copious abounds of cheese curds fresh wam and squeaky, not only deep fried, having beer on tap at the house and eating deep fried fish on Friday nights, are equally important.

Being a packer fan is easy, cause they are the "Pack", the rest as you know is difficult, if it were easy, women and children would be doing it.

IDX...I'm in.

You got me on the cheese curds. I bow down with that one. I have an eskimo wife, so we eat fish dried,boiled, canned, raw, frozen, smoked, pickled....for breakfast, lunch and dinner...and sometimes on Fridays. But, then you throw in the kicker..."beer on tap at the house". I mean, I literally metal detect "The Frozen Tundra"...but I have never had "beer on tap at the house".

I am not worthy. I am not worthy.

(Hopefully, Reggie Ragland falls down to the 27th pick)

I wish you guys the best of luck.

Excellent Mick! Where exactly are you? Have you had some decent luck with older stuff around you? By "older stuff" I mean mid-late 1800s...

I'm in Wisconsin Rapids and this area has been extensively hunted. After 10 years, I have maybe 3 coins from the late 1800's. Maybe find a couple silvers a year, thats about it.

To start it off, here is a 1941 Jefferson. I'm sure it will be easy enough to beat but gotta start some where
124e54bd9fa5c52d7f12ba7504db1e8d.jpg

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom