Help Wanted Best Machine

Troll2555

Crawfordsville, Montgomery County, Indiana
I have owned a Garrett (15 years ago) , Technetics (also 15 years ago), and a White's DFX (Recently). The Garrett was comfortable on my arm, and seemed to operate well for me. The Technetics was my love, but was fragile and I had to have it repaired twice, and I really do not like the look of the new Technetics.

Now to the problem. The Whites DFX was just too much for me. I only hunt about three or four hours two or three times a month in the spring and summer. I am only really interested in coin shooting and maybe a ring or two, but spend hours and hours researching sites before I hunt them. I am located in Indiana and the mineralization seems to drive the DFX nuts (but I am sure it was my programming that was messing me up, not the machine).

I sold off the DFX (I'll admit it all the programming beat me and no one on line seemed to be able to get the concept across to me on how to do it on my own).

I need to find a system that is right for me. I am able to spend up to 1000.00, but don't want to spend that money again, just to find it is over my head. I need some comments on the new machines and where I should go from here.

Can anyone please help?

Bill has a good idea with the Xterra 50. This is an easy detector to set up and sue as well as operate. I would also like to suggest the Fisher ID Excel. Also easy to use and understand. Lastly (and best of the three) is the WHites MXT. If you need any more help let me know. I'll do anything I can to get you somethign you'll enjoy.
:yes:
Thanks.

Hi Bill I would check out the sovereign gt. It is easy to use, it is ajustable if you want it to be. It works in all soils , wet or dry, salt or fresh water beaches. you can get different coils And it go's deep.

Troll... I know what chure sayin', man!
I got the DFX and it is definately considered a "handful"... but recently, I seem to have crossed a "threshold" of sorts in the learning department. I'm glad I stuck with it too, even tho' it's been a long 3 years of ownership. Long process, figuring out the settings and sounds, but it's a very "smart" machine.

Oh... here's some pics of some of your "cousins": :lol:

Attachments

• troll_513.jpg
    troll_513.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 204
  • troll2_451.jpg
    troll2_451.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 200
  • trolls_283.jpg
    trolls_283.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 187
The DFX does require a lot of studying and experimenting, which is why I bought it. After all there are 40+ settings that can be tweaked. The quickest way to get up to speed with the DFX is to use the ?canned? programs which work very well with little to no adjustment. When you are ready to ?pump up? the programming get a copy of ?Digging Deeper with the DFX? by Jeff Foster. Besides learning how to program everything on the DFX, Jeff also does a very good job of teaching about mineralization.

Good luck on your hunt for another detector, I?m sure you will pick a good one.

Looked at a few

WTHSing - Thanks for the comment. Looked at the XTerra 50 and it definatley looks nice. I've never used a minelab or even seen one in operation. Any Cons to the Pros on it??

Tony in Conecticut - I looked at the ID EXcell, but liked better the ID Edge. What appeals to me on this one is the programmed target modes:
- Old Coin Hunting mode
- Modern coin hunting mode.
- Jewelry hunting mode.
Especially the Old Coin setting. Any Cons to the Pros on this one?

Flueinc. The Minelab sovereign gt looks nice, but I like Target ID etc.. and did not see it on that one. I am a visual person (and a little lazy).

Krom - Thanks for the pictures. I am a bridge troll and take my tolls very specificaly. Usually in the way of old coins. Found out that MANY caches are hidden beneath old railroad tressels and bridges. Became a real troll after finding my fist cache that way.

Schrecky - Thanks for the comments on the DFX, but I did sell it. I REALLY beat me. I am not an impatient man and had my DFX for two years, but never found anything with it that would justify the time it was taking to learn how to find anything with it.

TO ALL - Thanks for the comments and please keep them coming. I need that detector and miss having one im my hands again. I will make my purchase of "something" in the next two weeks.

A Troll walks afield looking for treasures
of gold and silver. Instead finds
the love of a new wife.

Sometimes a Troll is just lucky.

The Edge is a better detector for sure. More to offer. I think the jury may still be out on it but in the long run knowing Fisher's reputation the Edge will do very well.
:yes:

I only hunt about three or four hours two or three times a month in the spring and summer. I am only really interested in coin shooting and maybe a ring or two

Dont forget the GTP 1350 or GTI 1500 :D Me thinks either one would work great for what you stated above.

Troll I have enjoyed using the X-TERRA 50. It is easy to turn and go. It has the all metal and manual ground balance features. It's the first time I've had a detector that has manual GB and it's easy to set. It has a quick swing and recovery speed. It works well in trashy areas and Ive dug coin sized targets at 10". I haven't used it around water so can't help you there. It has 2 program modes and a all metal mode. Program 1 discriminates iron. Program 2 is set for nickles and zinc/IH pennies and up. Each program can be adjusted to fit your personal preferences. Around schools parks and such I use program 1 mostly but if I get tired of listening to all the trash signals I go to program 2. For any place that may hold old coins I hunt in the all metal mode. It's a little long for someone at my size 5'7" but it's easy to get used to.
But there are so many good machines out there just take your time selecting and I'm sure you won't go wrong. Good luck.

Troll, Perhaps the very best advice I can give you is to narrow down to the half dozen or so that have your chimes rung. Next, download the manuals to each of them and give them a read. This will often give you a lot of operational info that will help your decision.

I am a bells / whistles / gadget tweaking kinda guy. I am not familiar with many of the detectors out there, and am still searching for the holy grail as far as my Explorer II. I can only pass on what I have heard that was positive, and that's all any of us can do. Don't be in a hurry to part with your cash until you've got a real clear picture.

HH !!!!

Bill

Back
Top Bottom