Sears Garage Door Opener HELP!!!!!

demyansk1942

Elite Member
I have a Sears remote garage door opener model # 139.655000 and a receiver number in the garage 139.654021

It all worked on Monday but when I woke up this morning and clicked on the remote the garage didn't open. I checked out the other remote and it still didn't open. I went outside, through the door and clicked the button on the receiver unit and the door opens.

Now, is the difficult part, any experts out there on this stuff, I don't think its the remotes since I also tried new battery's in both of the remotes. What do you think? Receiver unit?

Suggestions?

I really have no clue.. but is there a way to re-sync the remotes? I have an in-car remote, and also an outside battery operated keypad remote. Occasionally, my keypad remote needs to be re-sync'd... some crazy process with entering in the code and pressing something on the receiver... just a thought, sorry I don't have a more positive response.

I would resynch them, if you pulled the battery it might have lost their memory. Not sure if they are smart enough hold that without power.

I checked out the other remote and it still didn't open. I went outside, through the door and clicked the button on the receiver unit and the door opens

Yup. It's unlikely that both transmitters would cease working at the same time, so I agree that it's not the remotes. It's also unlikely they would both lose their coding at the same time, so it's doubtful that "resyncing/reprogramming" them would help.

This points to the receiver as being dead. There's 2 areas in the receiver that would cause this if one of them died: The first is the radio receiver section. If it dies, then the opener will be unresponsive. The second is the actuator section. When the receiver gets a command from the remote, it responds by actuating a relay which is the electronic equvalent of "click[ing] the button on the receiver unit".

Since the button worked, then obviously your motor and drive assembly are fine, so that's one item you don't have to investigate.

There's 2 ways the button could be integrated into the circuit:
1) The button and the relay are wired in parallel so if the relay closes OR the button is pressed, the motor is turned "on".
2) The button is wired into the actuator, so that pressing the button closes the relay which turns the motor "on".

In the first case, the relay could be bad OR the receiver could be bad.

In the second case, the relay would have to be good, so the receiver would be bad.

There are 2 kinds of relays: Mechanical and "solid state". Solid state relays (operating within design specs) are FAR more robust than mechanical relays, but they can still go bad sometimes. Mechanical relays have fairly short lifespans in high-current applications (such as operating high-current motors) and should be the first thing to look at if it's more than a few yrs old.

ADD:

HA!!! Looky what I found! An exploded parts diagram of your remote and receiver:

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/00032509-00003.png

And here's one for your drive assembly:

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/00032509-00001.png

In essence, your button is wired into the actuator section as mentioned in #2 above. The actual relay (and although it's a mechanical one, it must be functional or else pressing the button wouln't have worked) is #47 on the above diagram.

So your drive assembly works, your button works, but 2 remotes don't work.

Conclusion: Your receiver isn't working.

BTW, you'll notice arrowed numbers on the above diagrams. If you're interested in the keys to them, here are the key pages:

for the remote and the receiver:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...s/Model-139654021/0247/0718000/00032509/00003

For the chassis assembly:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...s/Model-139654021/0247/0718000/00032509/00001

FWIW, if worse comes to worst, you can swap out the receiver and toss your remotes with a replacement kit for $41.88. Look at #4 on the sidebar of the "remote and receiver" link above. The "converter kit" comes with a new receiver and 2 remotes.

While I'm quite sure that it's your receiver that's at fault, I can't guarantee it without actually putting my grubby little paws on it - if I did, I could tell you EXACTLY what's wrong with it and could probably even fix it for a lot less than $42! :lol:

Yup. It's unlikely that both transmitters would cease working at the same time, so I agree that it's not the remotes. It's also unlikely they would both lose their coding at the same time, so it's doubtful that "resyncing/reprogramming" them would help.

This points to the receiver as being dead. There's 2 areas in the receiver that would cause this if one of them died: The first is the radio receiver section. If it dies, then the opener will be unresponsive. The second is the actuator section. When the receiver gets a command from the remote, it responds by actuating a relay which is the electronic equvalent of "click[ing] the button on the receiver unit".

Since the button worked, then obviously your motor and drive assembly are fine, so that's one item you don't have to investigate.

There's 2 ways the button could be integrated into the circuit:
1) The button and the relay are wired in parallel so if the relay closes OR the button is pressed, the motor is turned "on".
2) The button is wired into the actuator, so that pressing the button closes the relay which turns the motor "on".

In the first case, the relay could be bad OR the receiver could be bad.

In the second case, the relay would have to be good, so the receiver would be bad.

There are 2 kinds of relays: Mechanical and "solid state". Solid state relays (operating within design specs) are FAR more robust than mechanical relays, but they can still go bad sometimes. Mechanical relays have fairly short lifespans in high-current applications (such as operating high-current motors) and should be the first thing to look at if it's more than a few yrs old.

ADD:

HA!!! Looky what I found! An exploded parts diagram of your remote and receiver:

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/00032509-00003.png

And here's one for your drive assembly:

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/00032509-00001.png

In essence, your button is wired into the actuator section as mentioned in #2 above. The actual relay (and although it's a mechanical one, it must be functional or else pressing the button wouln't have worked) is #47 on the above diagram.

So your drive assembly works, your button works, but 2 remotes don't work.

Conclusion: Your receiver isn't working.

BTW, you'll notice arrowed numbers on the above diagrams. If you're interested in the keys to them, here are the key pages:

for the remote and the receiver:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...s/Model-139654021/0247/0718000/00032509/00003

For the chassis assembly:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...s/Model-139654021/0247/0718000/00032509/00001

FWIW, if worse comes to worst, you can swap out the receiver and toss your remotes with a replacement kit for $41.88. Look at #4 on the sidebar of the "remote and receiver" link above. The "converter kit" comes with a new receiver and 2 remotes.

While I'm quite sure that it's your receiver that's at fault, I can't guarantee it without actually putting my grubby little paws on it - if I did, I could tell you EXACTLY what's wrong with it and could probably even fix it for a lot less than $42! :lol:

Ummm never mind, lol.

hey em thanks for the info and all others who responded, What I did was open the receiver inside the garage and take the plug out and reattach. Guess what, the remotes now work. However, this is an old assembly from the looks of it. They dont even make parts for it and it also doesn't have the remote sensor for the garage door which would stop the door from closing if u got stuck. I wonder what year it is?

Thanks again for the assembly info

You think its worth keeping the unit or buying a new one in the future?

You think its worth keeping the unit or buying a new one in the future?

That's a judgement call on your part.

IMO though, if this is the first and only trouble you've had with it, I'd be clapping with joy! In general, I agree with Martin_v3i as far as my own stuff goes...I keep things until they die or fall apart on me, and if something gave me good service up until I had to bury it, I try to replace it with an identical model or brand.

Every once in a while, mine won't work at all. I have to unplug the power cord, wait a few seconds, plug it back in and it works fine. I have no idea why this happens or why unplugging it fixes it.

Garage Door Opener HELP!!!!!

However, there are times when garage door openers will not work. They are designed to stop working if there is a safety issue. Sometimes they may need adjustments to make them operational again. You will need to determine the cause of the problem first.

dallas garage door

Your hamsters that run the wheel that opens the door are getting old and weak.
Wait till they die and then replace the whole assembly.
The modern hamsters they use in today's units are much more efficient and bred from hardier stock so they should last a long time.

They also dress cooler and know how to dance....

Attachments

• lhih.jpg
    lhih.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,609
Back
Top Bottom