He quit

pulltabMiner

Forum Supporter
I was talking to fellow forum member Steveouke at lunch today and we touched on the subject of quitting the hobby for lack of valuable finds.

It reminded me that a new forum member who started about the same time I did last Summer, already gave up. He bought a machine, joined the forum, started a blog even, and then completely gave up.

I wonder how many of the many new hunters lately will be hunting still in a year.

I was talking to fellow forum member Steveouke at lunch today and we touched on the subject of quitting the hobby for lack of valuable finds.

It reminded me that a new forum member who started about the same time I did last Summer, already gave up. He bought a machine, joined the forum, started a blog even, and then completely gave up.

I wonder how many of the many new hunters lately will be hunting still in a year.

I survived my first year =)

You can count on me brother!
I did this many years ago for just a little while. Found my way back in August of last year. I assure you, I will still be here come August.
I have not been this excited since working in Nixon's campaign back in high school!:laughing:

Im going on 3 years :D I look at it as there are other things to look forward to in this hobby to like MY TIME TO MYSELF, exercise, having the thrill of not knowing what you might dig up, and last but not least Cleaning up the environment!!

I feel like people with the wrong motives would quit early. When I am hunting and civilians come up and ask if I ever find anything good. With my pouch full of trash, I tell them I find trash more than anything. And they quickly walk away, just like some newbies.

Now in my 3rd season & still going strong. I need to get out as it's important for me time, time to unwind & de-compress. I love being a Dad don't get me wrong but it's nice to have sometime for myself once in a while. Keeps me balanced :lol:

I love history & enjoy being able to dig it up. I'm a firm believer in "Hands On History". To many museams are look only but do not touch, BORING!

HH!

I am still under 2 months into this hobby but I love it. I plan on staying around a while. I like to think I took to this hobby pretty good and I really enjoy just getting out. Plus a few great finds in a very short period of time have me hooked. It combines history and the outdoors. Whats not to like honestly...

passing fad?

I bought my first detector in 2009...I feel like a kid in a candy store each and every time I get to go out to detect. Rarely do I find anything that special, but getting out in the fresh air revives me...so it's all good!

-Firewxman

i have been at it for nearly 25 yrs on and off, i just always seem to come back to it, i cant get enough, i dont always have the time with a young family but it makes it all the better when i can get out.
heres to the next 25 yrs:oldguy:
Dan

I started in July of 2010. I am still going strong. I haven't had 100 silver coin years, etc but I still hunt, and find stuff. I agree with most posters, its good to get away for some me time, and I love history, and I love collecting coins, and precious metals, and I love being outside. My other favorite hobby is fishing..

Keep digging those targets, never know what you will find!!

Here since 2009. I'm not sure about everyone else, as for me, I'm not in it to make money. It is a hobby for me which I benefit from the exercise and mental relaxation. It is fun and I gain a lot of knowledge by research and iems found. I have also had a lot of great times with my hunting buddies.

To sum it up, are you in it just to supplement your income? Then MDing is not for you.

I'll still be here...

I was diagnosed with MS 9 months ago and was told I need to exercise or bad things would happen. I hate to work out so here I am... Hit the beach for 3 hours today (windy as can be and cold too) and got my 2 miles or so in.

I love that you never know whats under the coil until you dig it. You may have an idea, but the machine that gives you a picture of whats down there isn't out yet so the treasure hunter in me is still alive and kicking!

Good luck out there and HH!

What about that guy that bought an E-Trac, gave up on it and bought an AT-Pro the same day he got the E-Trac, then he got an F75? I think he bought several detectors throwing money around, probably didn't even know if he liked the sport! Update- it was whynot, he is still here. He posted a silver coin find in August, and is posting still. I think some people like the idea of detecting and talking about it more than doing it. I would probably buy those same detectors too in quick order like that if I could, an ATPro, F75, but add Excal and GPX!

Well it has been my first year as well. I think far too many see the Whites ads and think they are going to find treasure soon after, but when reality hits they give up. Which is why when a few have asked about detecting here I ask, are you patient, do you expect to find treasure right away, if they answer to thenselves no to the first and yes to the second then the hobby isnt right for them. I have dug enough trash that Im not giving up on it.

still be here

There might be some who quit and it will because they started metal detecting for the wrong reason, to get rich quick by finding gold and silver. As anyone who's been doing this for the hobby, the trash finds usually outweigh the treasures. If you do it and enjoy it for the hobby, you'll probably stay for a long time. Take the time to enjoy the peace and exercise it can provide as well as the rewards the hobby has to offer.

I think it largely depends on the state you live in. If it weren't for beach hunting, I would have quit... I land detected for like a year before getting into beach hunting, and never found a coin under 1942... Very poor history (with coinage) in Southern California, most historical places are historical landmarks, fenced private property with no trespassing signs, or covered by cement parking lots.

Guys in the highly populated states on the east coast have it made...

I enjoy the hobby as...a hobby!
Never assumed I would get rich, but I have found enough clad and silver and gold to pay for most of my equipment if I cashed it all in, so maybe I am lucky.
To be outdoors on a nice, or not even a nice day, getting exercise instead of wasting away in front of the tv is a win, in my book.
Every hole and every target in that hole could be the next one that makes me very happy and gives me a lifetime memory.
That doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Even digging a lonely zincoln satisfies me because it has worth...small as it is.

I guess it all comes down to patience and attitude.
You either got it, or you don't.

Pretty sure I will be here next year...and the year after.

gear

What about that guy that bought an E-Trac, gave up on it and bought an AT-Pro the same day he got the E-Trac, then he got an F75? I think he bought several detectors throwing money around, probably didn't even know if he liked the sport! Update- it was whynot, he is still here. He posted a silver coin find in August, and is posting still. I think some people like the idea of detecting and talking about it more than doing it. I would probably buy those same detectors too in quick order like that if I could, an ATPro, F75, but add Excal and GPX!

When I played competition paintball we had a lot of guys like this. They'd buy gear after gear after gear but never actually play. I called them "Cold War" paintballers because they kept building up arms they'd never use lol. Some guys just like the toys more than the effort.

I guess every hobby/sport has them. I'm glad whynot has kept going though. In the end it all comes down to hard work and patience. The detectors are fun to play around with, but without actually treading turf, it's just a "thing", not a tool.

for me it's not the Kill...it's the thrill of the chase! yeh finding silver is the icing on the cake, but being outdoors and getting a little exercise is good for me. I am just as happy digging a memorial as I am a Rosie! every minute that I am outside MDing is one less minute I am drinking beer in front of the tube!

Back
Top Bottom