Rechargeable batteries..yes or no ?

T-DUB

Elite Member
I swing a XT-705, for those that have Minelab, or other brands, thoughts on using rechargeable batteries ? They of course would have to be those recommended in the owners manual, but do they last long enough during "normal" md-in ? Good or bad for the detector, same go go, meaning as good as detecting things as normal batteries ? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have the same detector and I use the Duracell rechargables, they came with a 15 min charger and they work great, I have not run them down yet, I always bring a back-up of the same type and have ye to use them while in the field, I would say that you could hunt for 6-8 hours on a single charge, with a backup set thats plenty of battery for your average hunt. I have had my detector for two years and still have the same sets of batts.

Speaking of rechargeables...sorry to barge in on your thread, but batteries seem to have a rating of mAH. Am I correct in thinking that a high mAH rating like 2800 is way better than a mAH of say 1500? more staying power?

Yes you are right the higher the mAH the better, they last longer to put it simply, without having to go into much detail and geeky thoughts. LOL.

Well up until last year I have raced rc cars and everybody uses rechargable batteries. And I can tell you they will save you money in time and yes a higher mah rating will give out a little more power and last longer. If you go to a hobby shop you can double a batteries will a 3400 mah rating thats what I use to use.

I have an older Tesoro, and its manual says specifically "Use alkaline batteries only - no heavy duty, no rechargeables."

And I remember reading somewhere that some Minelabs will not run on rechargeables.

The problem is that alkalines put out 1.5 volts per cell, rechargeables only 1.2 volts per cell. I guess this causes problems with some, but not all, machines.

I have an internet radio show on batteries: #017, at http://thetreasurecorner.com

Be sure to read the notes that accompany the program, too.

My old Teknetic 9000 uses 14 AA batteries. It came with rechargable batteries. I found that they go dead all at once, usually when you are about as far from your car as you can get. I use Alkaline (and even Heavy Duty) batteries. They seem to taper off and give you more of a warning when they will die. Still they last for a month or more of hunting. I usually change them before they are low because I can't believe that they are still working.

Yes !

I've been using Ultralast nickel metal hydride AA's since the alkalines ran down. They're 1.25 volts if that helps at all. Maybe 1600 mAh. No problems ever. Only set I have, but plan to get another.
Marty

I hate to barge this thread also,, but does anyone have any experience with the mxt and rechargables?

I use the rechargeable pack that came with my Explorer, and there's no telling how much it's saved in batteries. The Minelab pack will last 12 or so hours; they claim 16. Lithium Ion batteries won't work though, because their voltage is too high (13V).

A good AA battery for detectors that can handle rechargables, is the NiMh (nickle metal hydride) Low Self Discharge variety. Some are called Eneloop, or by other brand names but the key is Low Self Didscharge. That way they do not lose their charge quickly when sitting idle.

Back
Top Bottom