1787 Fugio large cent found

Do your research now, before you find another one. Copper, silver, gold? How do you preserve them? Like I said, try subscribing to the PCGS message boards. There is a lot of knowledge there. I would post your find and what you did and perhaps ask them what you did wrong (don't wince).

Here is a link:

http://www.pcgs.com/messageboards

There are a lot of good people on there with brains you can pick.

Good luck!

For many coppers, there isn't ANY good cleaning method. They are just too far gone. The dirt surface IS the patina. I think the only thing that might have helped that coin a bit is some judicious cleaning with just a tooth brush and tooth pick. Using any liquid sometimes just makes it worse. I've dug several Fugios over the years. Only a couple of them I dared to soak in peroxide because after I dry cleaned them I could tell they had hard surfaces. A couple just got the dry treatment because I could see they were very porous and the last one I found got a little of both.

But don't fret, it is a Fugio and it is a nice find!

That coin is on a lot of bucket lists including mine. As for cleaning it, don't. I suppose water wont hurt it, as it's been underground for some time. As to any other method, you will degrade it further. What detail you see now will be gone once it cleaned.

Same here. My favorite coin ever.

Congrats!!!

Don't beat yourself up to much about the fugio , they can be hit or miss when it comes to cleaning . there are a few different good cleaning methods for coppers and using any of them really depends on it condition once its retrieved from the soil but they all have to have the same bottom line to be efficient . the coin must be in decent shape to begin with or it doesn't matter what you do to it . here is one of my better fugios using a couple of methods to get it cleaned .

Attachments

• coinspill fugio before cleaning 1.JPG
    coinspill fugio before cleaning 1.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 329
  • fugio with flawed planchet obverse 1.JPG
    fugio with flawed planchet obverse 1.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 345
I want one so bad!
Nice find!

Don't beat yourself up to much about the fugio , they can be hit or miss when it comes to cleaning . there are a few different good cleaning methods for coppers and using any of them really depends on it condition once its retrieved from the soil but they all have to have the same bottom line to be efficient . the coin must be in decent shape to begin with or it doesn't matter what you do to it . here is one of my better fugios using a couple of methods to get it cleaned .

Thank you both

Don't clean coppers

Great fugio I have dug lots of coppers in my time and years ago I tried a hundred ways to clean an old copper coin. I have come to the conclusion that dirt in the crevices is the best look . I dug a large cent yesterday that had a very shiny look to the obverse I couldn't make out the date so I licked my thumb a gently rubed the date . My intention was to wet the high spots instead it desolved the shiny coating instantly. I found that a slightly damp tissue paper folded and very very lightly wiping works best for old coppers. Micro scraches already exists on circulated coins so a very light wipe I think is ok.

Thank you, I will never make the same mistake again. Although I am still a bit confused on what to do when a coin like this pops out of the ground(if it ever does) do i let it dry out, soak it in water or oil water or oil ect. There is so much conflicting information out there.

I have a coin collecting book written by the president of the PCGS. He recommends against cleaning any rare or valuable coin beyond running it underwater and then patting (not rubbing) it dry with a 100% cotton cloth. The reason? Most coin cleaning methods, as you've discovered, cause irreversible damage to coins. Because of this, many dealers will refuse to grade or purchase a coin that's been cleaned. Chemical or acid cleaners may alter the metal, while abrasives, like toothpaste and baking soda, will leave microabrasions all over the coin's surface.

Cleaning coins without much value isn't really a big deal, but personally I'm against it. To me, it would be like grinding a handful of dirt onto a vehicle- it has the same effect.

Slap some Renaissance Wax on it to preserve it from further deterioration. A few coats will also bring up more detail.

I have a coin collecting book written by the president of the PCGS. He recommends against cleaning any rare or valuable coin beyond running it underwater and then patting (not rubbing) it dry with a 100% cotton cloth. The reason? Most coin cleaning methods, as you've discovered, cause irreversible damage to coins. Because of this, many dealers will refuse to grade or purchase a coin that's been cleaned. Chemical or acid cleaners may alter the metal, while abrasives, like toothpaste and baking soda, will leave microabrasions all over the coin's surface.

Cleaning coins without much value isn't really a big deal, but personally I'm against it. To me, it would be like grinding a handful of dirt onto a vehicle- it has the same effect.

thats true in most cases , however the two coins i posted up above if i had left it as it was , just dug it would be worthless . since cleaning it ,it has been assessed to be in at least VF or better and valued in the neighborhood of a few thousand dollars by a couple of coin dealers .

Back in the early 70s, a buddy pulled a 1787 Fugio out of an old CT church dirt parking lot! All detail was there. I don't think we realized how rare!!:wow:

thats true in most cases , however the two coins i posted up above if i had left it as it was , just dug it would be worthless . since cleaning it ,it has been assessed to be in at least VF or better and valued in the neighborhood of a few thousand dollars by a couple of coin dealers .

Agreed, should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Like Del said, dont beat yourself up over this...Its a great find, which you recognized, and good on ya for doing the vid and taking the time to post it..You sure did open up some dialog about this, and some great advice came pouring out of the membership.
Personally, I woulda not only stabbed it hard with the screwdriver, rubbed it between my fingers, and then probably mistaken it for a Chucky Cheese token and tossed it into the tumbler!:laughing: So thanks!
Mud

cleaning

First of all one poster said get it graded(slabbed) ,for the vast majority of dug coins and especially old coppers that is a complete waste of money. As far as cleaning you will hear a hundred ideas. In general less is more . Congrats on a great find .

Back
Top Bottom