Tornado ravaged towns...

(Heavy)

Elite Member
When has enough time passed to be respectable before scarfing up goodies from towns like Homestead? You have to know these are target rich towns with things strewn throughout the land. Is that just asking for resistance by showing up with a MD as a non resident.

When has enough time passed to be respectable before scarfing up goodies from towns like Homestead? You have to know these are target rich towns with things strewn throughout the land. Is that just asking for resistance by showing up with a MD as a non resident.

I don't know about Illinois, but here in Oklahoma even when you're hit with a tornado and your property is destroyed, you still own the land, so any hunting in areas hit would be by permission.

I'm guessing you would be met with a lot of resistance here under those circumstances! Due to the traumatic nature of these events, I can't imagine anyone welcoming anyone hunting for their lost personal items on their own ground.

People here are still finding personal items from the Moore tornado a couple of years ago 100 miles away where they got blown to, and it's still a very, very touchy subject.

Perhaps their personal item could be returned, and I'm not thinking to stand on someone's lawn LOL. Just about any place you go now without permission would be very promising. I might take curb pirate off the 'to do' list but that only happens late at night for me anyway. I don't think anyone hits the sidewalks in broad daylight do they?

Don't know, but I strongly suspect there's not much laying on the top of the ground that wasn't already there, except for bits & pieces of construction materials, nails, bits of tin roofs, etc... When those big twisters hit they scour the surface and drop little bits of chopped up stuff for a hundred miles down wind. So I'm not sure I see how a tornado would make for better hunting in the areas they actually hit anyway. You might have better luck hunting the areas that were in the junk dropping zone than where the stuff was sucked up from. And probably draw less attention if you know what I mean.

Don't know, but I strongly suspect there's not much laying on the top of the ground that wasn't already there, except for bits & pieces of construction materials, nails, bits of tin roofs, etc... When those big twisters hit they scour the surface and drop little bits of chopped up stuff for a hundred miles down wind. So I'm not sure I see how a tornado would make for better hunting in the areas they actually hit anyway. You might have better luck hunting the areas that were in the junk dropping zone than where the stuff was sucked up from. And probably draw less attention if you know what I mean.

Maybe he's hoping that with all the misfortune this people have already suffered, he will find somebodies wheat penny collection that blew 20 miles away when the bedroom door they were holding blew off? Seems pretty selfish when you look at it like that though doesn't it......

I helped clean up after the Greensburg Kansas tornado and I can't even imagine the trouble it would be. There was literally trash everywhere.

Morally? On private property with permission, perhaps, but I'd not try any place else.

I helped clean up after the Greensburg Kansas tornado and I can't even imagine the trouble it would be. There was literally trash everywhere.

Morally? On private property with permission, perhaps, but I'd not try any place else.

Agreed on both counts.

I posted a couple weeks ago in the Family friendly area titled "Childs Play" I'm going down to help a friend look for a coin collection near Joplin that was hit hard a couple years ago not sure if any of the tornado's debris will be there and if I find anything of value mostly in the form of jewelry I will do what ever I can to return it to the rightful owner.
But yes I plan on hunting an area affected by a tornado during the Missouri spring turkey season it is about 15 miles east of the destruction path.
I'm not going to hunt a damaged area it just happens to be where I am going to help a friend.
I'm wondering with insurance estimates always being higher than actual value if you did find something of value that had been covered and an insurance company contacted you what then.
I guess I'll wait and see if I find anything first then cross that bridge.

Maybe he's hoping that with all the misfortune this people have already suffered, he will find somebodies wheat penny collection that blew 20 miles away when the bedroom door they were holding blew off? Seems pretty selfish when you look at it like that though doesn't it......
nope... I don't even reach for pennies with V3i :p

Not even really deep ones?

You looking for gold or silver?

<°)))>{

Not a coin collector sir, the multiple penny and dime signals out there I leave for you :grin: I will always reach for a nickel signal (men's white gold) and you won't find any quarters in my wake. Jewelry is the thrill for me, hunt shallow and fast covering as much ground as possible. Considering a much lighter machine because I just can't un-earth deep items where I hunt anyway. Basically coin popping quarters and nickels less than 3 inches in city parks whilst trying to balance my energy over pulltabs verses possibility of gold. Average hunt will lend a pocket of quarters, nickels and if lucky... a little gold.

My style might be boring for many, but to each his own. I have a bunch of them old wheat pennies, buffalo's and Indian heads somewhere but so uninterested in old coins I don't remember where ;)

I know I wouldn't be out looking any time soon, after a Hurricane or tornado passes through. Fortunately, its been about 10 years now, since any major destruction. First couple of weeks, people are pretty much stunned, and drained. Just too busy with their own losses, and messes to clean up, figure out the repairs, replace. I know driving around collecting scrap can get you into some trouble, least detained on the side of the road for a while.

Not always easy to determine property boundaries, trespassing could get you shot. Got to remember, folks from FEMA and insurance companies need to look things over. Think it would mostly be a trash-fest, finding good stuff would mostly be luck, and the detector would be of little help. You'd do better on eyeball finds. Really unbelievable how destructive these storms really are, until you've walked around after one.

I know I wouldn't be out looking any time soon, after a Hurricane or tornado passes through.
Born in tornado alley 'Kansas' lived through a few, so what would you say 5 years, 10, 15? Its not going any where, jewelry hardly sinks at all. I've found some really old bracelets at 3-4 inches with hardly nothing salvageable but the stones.

Back
Top Bottom