Coyote hole in cellar hole. How to swing safely?

donnyjaguar

I've been scouting areas to swing in preparation of warming weather to come. I've found a nice pit where a building once stood. This in an area of much commerce from 1850 to about 1930 and well off the beaten track. But, there's a large hole in the side of it and plenty of tracks in the snow that look like coyotes. I've met plenty of coyotes when hiking and they always turn and run. But swinging around their home may make them more aggressive. I have a good feeling about this area and want to do some digging. What would you do?

I always told my hunting partner that my metal detector looks and swings like a metal detector even finds some cool treasures.....however when backed into a corner it swings much like a 9 iron.

Never had a problem with coyotes. Sometimes they hang back waiting to see if I'll leave some trash/food (no). The ones around here are pretty skinny.

Dusty

I'd check it out, but keep in mind it is (for now) their home. They may have pups, etc. in there...if it is a den at all. I'm one of those people who will be prepared (gun, whatever) but do everything I can to avoid using it. IMHO they are leasing it for now, any coins will still be there when they move on.

I've hunted sites just like you described & have never been bothered, although at one site the small piles of bones in front of the hole was kind of intimidating..:yes:

I've hunted sites just like you described & have never been bothered, although at one site the small piles of bones in front of the hole was kind of intimidating..:yes:

A small piles of bones or a pile of small bones? Maybe a small pile of big bones, like about the size of a femur? :lol::lol:

A small piles of bones or a pile of small bones? Maybe a small pile of big bones, like about the size of a femur? :lol::lol:

There were several piles of small bones, maybe rabbits or something..:?:..There were also some large feathers in one pile..

There were several piles of small bones, maybe rabbits or something..:?:..There were also some large feathers in one pile..

Here is my 2 cents.
Around these parts, what works for us is when we take the kids to get haircuts, we just ask and we do get weird looks,for a bag of human hair clippings. Yep they do not like the smell, and if you spread em out all around, and keep human scent in the area, they will "move to a new neighborhood".
See in Rural Jefferson county MO. Coyotes like to come into yards, and so do Deer. The Deer like to eat landscape plants, as well as the bird seed we put in feeders. Coyotes come in I suppose to try and catch Rabbits which will eat the seeds and such the birds and squirrels knock on to the ground. The Hair Clippings, we spread around, and poof no more Coyotes (or deer).
Worth a shot!:lol:

Here is my 2 cents.
Around these parts, what works for us is when we take the kids to get haircuts, we just ask and we do get weird looks,for a bag of human hair clippings. Yep they do not like the smell, and if you spread em out all around, and keep human scent in the area, they will "move to a new neighborhood".
See in Rural Jefferson county MO. Coyotes like to come into yards, and so do Deer. The Deer like to eat landscape plants, as well as the bird seed we put in feeders. Coyotes come in I suppose to try and catch Rabbits which will eat the seeds and such the birds and squirrels knock on to the ground. The Hair Clippings, we spread around, and poof no more Coyotes (or deer).

Thats genius!! I've heard of people doing that when planting new grass to keep the deer from eating the seed, Never thought of using it for something like this..Thanks for the advice I'm going to try that this year..

The only time I know of Coyotes being a problem is when hunting with dogs at night, i.e. raccoon hunting. Daytime I doubt they would be a problem and, around here at least, they are a varmit and in season all year.

The yotes wont bother you. They will stay in the den or get the heck out of there when they see smell or hear you.

Here is my 2 cents.

The Mule Deer here eat almost everything, tree branches, bushes, and there isn't a house in town that has a tulip plant left......

Dusty

It's a Win, Win....Check It Out

Take one Coyote
Quarter into four even pieces.
Soak in Italian Dressing overnight.
Place in a large oven pan
Add salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder
Add chopped carrots and quartered onions.
Cover meat with a 1/4" coating of pine sawdust and cover with tin foil
Bake at 400% for 2 hours and 15 minutes

Cool meat, remove tin foil, scrape off saw dust, onions and carrots into a bowl.

Throw Coyote meat in the trash and eat the tin foil, saw dust, carrots and onions.

Brush teeth and go metal detecting.

Thanks for the ideas - these are awesome. My wife's friend is a hairdresser so I'll ask her to hoard some hair for me. It sounds like a better idea than I had of throwing smoke bombs down the hole. There are a lot of coyotes in my area. You can hear them often at night, and there are no stray cats around. I know the sound of my ACE250 can drive some dogs nuts so guessing it may have same effect on wild dogs.

Back
Top Bottom