Good Places For Beginner To Hunt??

cs1966

MD Newbie here :) Was wondering what everybody's thoughts are as far as the best places to hunt? Schools, churches, old homesteads/houses, parks? Edges of streams, rivers? Any and all hints & tips would be much appreciated! What are the rules as far as md's in state forests or state parks (in Virginia)?

The best place for a beginner to start is in the backyard... a good place to practice filling your holes too. :D

Once you've cleared your yard of trash and goodies, try an area close by that would not be trashy and drive you nuts!

You don't have to travel far to find some good finds. My best finds were found on a riverbank two blocks from my house.

Tot lots! They are all over, give up good targets, easy digging, etc etc. There's no point hunting somewhere good before you have a remotely decent idea of how your detector works to begin with, and in my opinion tot lots (along with your own yard) are the best places to learn.

I started in my yard but my wife stoped me when she figured out I was digging in her lawn and flower beds... So I went to the park that my brother hunts a lot, found some clad, went back again found some more, then I went to a beach and found a small gold ring and sme more clad..

I then moved up to a trading post site where I am still digging and finging a lot of cool stuff.

Good luck :D

Playgrounds, Parks, Beaches, anywhere really. Good Luck!

Well, I was going to suggest the beach but it looks like you are in northwestern VA, so that idea isn't going to do you much good!

Unfortunately it doesn't look like VA state parks (like most state parks) are not particularly detecting friendly. Here is the regulation I found listed on the FMDAC website:
"§1.13 Metal Detectors

No person shall use a metal detector or similar device within a park without the express written permission of the Park Authority."

What that appears to mean is you have to ask permission first. What that means in the real world is that detecting is not allowed. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask, but don't get your hopes up. Probably better to stick to city and county parks rather than risk state.

Looking at a map I see you are close to a National Forest. Those are ok to detect for the most part, just keep clear of any areas that could be considered to have archaelogical artifacts. When I say National Forests I mean National Forests, NOT National Parks, National Wildlife Areas, National Monuments, etc. as those are strictly off limits.

I agree with Carol that the best place to start is your own yard, for the same reason she stated. If you can place your boss (Wife) with filling in your holes properly, other homeowners should be a breeze to pleeze! As an added benefit, you may find historical finds that'll give you new insight of your property. Good luck! Curt

Looking at a map I see you are close to a National Forest. Those are ok to detect for the most part, just keep clear of any areas that could be considered to have archaelogical artifacts.

Yes, I live very near the George Washington National Forest. I wonder though, what one may find in a National Forest? I mean, it's just basically woodland. Old home sites or work sites within the forest they aren't going to let you detect.

I started with my back yard......... my street dates back into the 1800's. Then local parks, where I had a great time digging clad. One thing I noticed....... local parks on well traveled roads yielded very few coins / jewelry.......... We have two tiny, tiny little parks / tot lots within 3 miles of my house that are on seldom used back / sidestreets. Loaded with clad coins! Easy and fun, productive hunting, been hitting them since last year and have one to the point where we run in all metal mode it's so cleaned up. Then, when / if you tire of modern coins / change, and want older coins, research comes in for older sites. Research is how I stay moderately sane over the winter, LOL!:lol:
Don't forget that friends, family, coworker's have yards, too, and may be happy to let you hunt their yards. I've hunted two co-workers yards in the last few months, and scored old coins and relics at both. Old houses / yards can yield great stuff, and are often some of the last "vigin / unhunted" areas.
Good luck and above all have fun!

Back
Top Bottom