Possible new Tesoro purchase

woodsrider

I’m thinking of picking up a new Tesoro. I have a compadre,cibola,older Silver Sabre Umax,mojave and tiger shark. I’m just wondering if I would be gaining much in depth with going with one of the higher end units. I also have an Etrac but I like my Tesoro’s. I don’t care if a machine has a display on it. I’m mostly a coin hunter. Any input would be great.

Looks like you pretty well have them covered. Maybe an Outlaw, since your mostly a coin hunter, it will have more of a punch. A Tejon would round off your collection reasonably well also. Look at some other brands of "beepers" as well that offer more options than what Tesoro still don't offer. As much as I like the Tesoro's, it's just the truth.

I’m thinking of picking up a new Tesoro. I have a compadre,cibola,older Silver Sabre Umax,mojave and tiger shark. I’m just wondering if I would be gaining much in depth with going with one of the higher end units. I also have an Etrac but I like my Tesoro’s. I don’t care if a machine has a display on it. I’m mostly a coin hunter. Any input would be great.

Maybe a vaquero? Have you seen this: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=259578

Depth and coil size go hand-in-hand. You have a GREAT machine so instead of going with the Tesoro, why not buy a nice 15" W.O.T. or 12x15 SEF? Either should net you about 40% more depth than the stock 11" coil.

The difference between the two is negligible. The WOT will give you a bit more depth in the center of the coil than at the perimeter. The SEF will give you consistent depth across the coil footprint but may be an inch or so less than the max depth of the WOT.

Either are great for soccer fields and lawns. Just don't get them up against metal playground equipment or buried electrical lines.

Your Cibola is pretty much a Vaquero less the manual ground balance.

You could always mod your Cibola, spend the savings on coils.

Check-out the DeLeon as well.

Depth and coil size go hand-in-hand. You have a GREAT machine so instead of going with the Tesoro, why not buy a nice 15" W.O.T. or 12x15 SEF? Either should net you about 40% more depth than the stock 11" coil.

The difference between the two is negligible. The WOT will give you a bit more depth in the center of the coil than at the perimeter. The SEF will give you consistent depth across the coil footprint but may be an inch or so less than the max depth of the WOT.

Either are great for soccer fields and lawns. Just don't get them up against metal playground equipment or buried electrical lines.
My biggest issue with th Etrac is the weight. My arms can’t take the Etrac for long because of working too many years of physical labor. I have the minelab proswing 45 which helps But I don’t like the feel of it. The Tesoro’s are easy on my arms and I can stay out much longer. I have also started to think about a deus as they get pretty good reviews. The equinox has not been out long enough for me to even think about it.

Do you have any suggestions for taking the weight off the arms?

I would highly recommend a Vaquero. A used one can be had cheaply. I was detecting today in an old 1890's park. My girlfriend was using my Vaquero...power balanced, 9x8 concentric, not supertuned. I was using my Etrac...Tornado coil, auto +3 was running between 19-22. Several times, the Vaquero was hitting on deep, small pieces of metal that the Etrac wouldn't even touch. If I switched to manual sensitivity 30 I could SOMETIMES hit the target, but not always. If I was looking to clean out a site with deep coins I would go with the Vaquero after I got the easy stuff with the Etrac. However, the Etrac seems to have a knack for finding coins on edge while the Vaquero sometimes struggles with that. I also like the 9x8 concentric way more than the 11x8 widescan on the Vaquero. The widescan doesn't seem to go as deep for me as the concentric. They're both great detectors and I love using them both!

Back
Top Bottom