Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Help To ID My Finds

Old 04-18-2018, 01:02 AM
Supporter

Arrow

Originally Posted by rustyk1 View post
Definitely looks counterfeit to me, I have found two such coins, one is a 1877 seated quarter, pewter with a silver plating, The other is a 1898 Barber Half that is just cast pewter. It amazes us today to think that there was a profit to be made in counterfeiting coins, but there was. Counterfeit coins do have some collectors out there, just be careful with a GW quarter as they are still the current issue.
Wow love those those old counterfeits! This one is going onto my finds shelf...

Originally Posted by sandgroper View post
Not sure why someone would forge a coin that's worth 25c. If you'd get caught trying to use it, I'd assume there'd be harsh penalties. Cool find nonetheless
Agree fully thx!

Originally Posted by Texaspast View post
I've never seen a fake quarter from the clad era - why bother? I do own a lead shield nickel, though. I guess nickels were worth faking in the 1860s.
Man jelly of that CF shield!

Originally Posted by ScubaDetector View post
Nickels were worth counterfeiting just before WW2 also:

http://www.error-ref.com/henning-counterfeit-nickel/

Many candy and soda machines could be fooled with lead coins and other slugs. But to make dies and cast a lead quarter? Very strange.
Thx Scuba!

Originally Posted by Azmodeus View post
Here's one that looks identical to yours - https://www.collectorsweekly.com/sto...plain-edge-5-5

If you read some of the comments on there he took it to a coin show and found out it was a mint error. Apparently some got out that were struck using sheets of nickel for the planchets. Guy gave him 40$ for it in same condition as yours.
Thatís cool info. This is 100% lead for sure. Just a weird thing!

Originally Posted by scoundrel View post
Used to be able to buy cigarettes from a vending machine also. Cigarettes are like money. Especially back then.
Thatís a great point!

Thanks everyone!

Trippy coin for sure, it is lead, I promise. Just rub it against paper... and I can bend it with my hands!

Cool coin!
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2018, 07:44 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by sandgroper View post
Not sure why someone would forge a coin that's worth 25c. If you'd get caught trying to use it, I'd assume there'd be harsh penalties. Cool find nonetheless
Here's why. In 1965, a quarter would buy close to a gallon of gasoline. A $10 roll of those lead quarters would have bought around $100 worth of groceries back then, if one was successful in passing them off as real.

*Skippy you out there?

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors

Old 04-21-2018, 08:06 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Here's why. In 1965, a quarter would buy close to a gallon of gasoline. A $10 roll of those lead quarters would have bought around $100 worth of groceries back then, if one was successful in passing them off as real.

*Skippy you out there?
Oh ok, didn't know petrol was so cheap back then.

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
2018 totals: $867.40AUD (307x$2, 175x$1, 40x50c, 137x20c, 168x10c, 187x5c, 139x2c, 207x1c) and 69 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"

Old 04-22-2018, 10:47 PM
Supporter

So cool!

No reeding on the edges also!!