General Metal Detecting Guide

Thanks so much for such an informative md guide; it looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it. Great tips!

Thanks SLO Dave

Also a very new newbie. Reading as much on Metal Detecting as well as on Detectors. I think I'm zeroed in on a Fisher F2 package. Hope to read lots of good information and can't way to get started in the spring.

can I add one thing to your list ??

SPARE BATTERIES

Nothing worse in this world than trekking 3 miles into the bush just to discover your batteries are dead, or dying.. I speak with knowledge.

Thanks for listening

Hey, first post here and I just wanted to say thanks, that was a great introduction to metal detecting and this site.
I only read the first couple of responses and I just wanted to say I may be a little bit of a "computer geek with links galore" and as far as I can tell this is a completely original post with original pics. In fact the only other place I can find this information is in a blog posted a couple of months ago which also provides a link to this thread to give proper credit.

http://rebeldigger.blogspot.com/
"Taken from http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=60491
Posted by Roy Kenny at Thursday, October 30, 2014"

Thanks

This is one of the most helpful articles that I have read on getting started. I thank you for taking the time and effort to put it all together.

Just a great, very useful post

Just wondering if this is worth a sticky?.. Or at least something like it?

SO_Dave: great post for a below-newbie like me. This is very useful learning to keep in mind for when I start. Thanks.

I don't own a detector yet and never went hunting but I became a member of a hunters club in my area and went to a couple of meetings and to my first hunt. The organizer of the hunt was going to loan me a detector to try out. Really nice, Isn't it? The only problem is that his instructions sent me 40 km (about 24 miles) to the West of a bridge when I should have gone 40 km to the East of the aforesaid bridge. When I got to the coordinates I stood in the middle of an industrial park, all asphalt, cement and roads and not a blade of grass as far as the eye could see. :laughing:

I don't have a cell phone so I could not be reached when he realized the boo-boo. :laughing:

So, lessons to be learned from this experience.

One; buy a dammed cell phone so you can call and whine! :shock:

Two; buy a dammed detector so you can stop anywhere you want and try it out (always asking permission first. I learned that here). :?:

Three; Keep a, when someone tells you to go-West-go-East, king of attitude. You may not hunt with your group very often but at least you'll have no one to blame but yourself. And, in the unlikely case you get to the proper hunt place, you can call yourself a genius. ;)

Four; Keep reading this forum. You might learn to double check important things in the future. ;)

This was written in good spirit. Hope no one took me too seriously. :lol:

Great info!

Thanks for the information! I am waiting for my first detector to arrive - just ordered it today! - and am reading everything I can to be prepared to get started as quickly as possible once it arrives.

New to the site and new to detecting. Looking forward to picking up the knowledge from the more experienced folks here. Just picked up my first detector for Christmas. Already finding some coins! Looking forward to more finds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New to the site and new to detecting. Looking forward to picking up the knowledge from the more experienced folks here. Just picked up my first detector for Christmas. Already finding some coins! Looking forward to more finds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum from NE Ohio. Good luck and happy hunting.

Back
Top Bottom