bounty hunter gold digger

Saltwater beaches require multi-frequency machines. For waterproof your options are the Excalibur, CZ21, Beach Hunter ID, or a waterproof PI. If you can live without it being waterproof you have a lot more options, including all Minelab BBS/FBS machines, any Fisher CZ series machine, or Whites DFX/V3i/Vx3.

The 2 most popular machines are the Minelab Sovereign and the Minelab Excalibur, older Sovereigns can be found in the $400 range.

To answer your question, no a bounty hunter won't work at saltwater beaches on the wet sand or in the water, but will be fine in the dry sand.

The control box is not waterproof not sure on the coil. I would keep it away from the water. If I were you I would save up for a detector I could take in the water. You could get a Garrett,Fisher, Minelab or a Tesoro brand made for water use.

Oh and by waterproof you me the electronic housing right, and not the coil?

I got a gold digger also for my first and asked the same question after getting skunked twice on beach but found stuff closer to parking lot. I found a 10k ring one day but it was a surface find and maybe a couple of quarters (surface) after about 16hrs total. I just got a BH Lone Star from a friend and haven't tried it out down there but I assume it would be the same. Doesn't seem to get much past 3" depth for some reason as demonstrated when I buried a quarter one day @ 5" and almost lost it. :laughing: Don't get me wrong though, it's a great detector IMO. Doesn't look tough but I beat mine up pretty good and it's still working. Found a lot of cool things with it and it paid for itself in no time. ($65.00:lol: ) When I first started with mine I had to run power wide open and disc. almost all the way up until I got used to things and began to dial it back which come to find out doesn't really seem to do much of anything actually, it was just the learning curve I think. My disc. seems to be either off or on :lol: Don't be discouraged about hunting the beach with it though, people drop stuff all the time esp. if you have a good beach. ie: Not San Juan island type beaches (not busy enough) GL HH :grin:

Thanks again. Ive actually had great luck (nails of course) find things about 8 inches down. Granted I dig at every little beep/chirp. Dig a little and slowly shave the dirt away and listen to it get louder. Fun times!

Back
Top Bottom