Air travel with detector?

RingNut

Forum Supporter
Does anyone know the rules or any tips on taking my detector with me on a plane? Or perhaps there is a thread on the forum i am missing? I really want to take it on as a carry on and not check it if possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I broke mine down, wrapped it in towels and clothes and put it in my checked baggage. I'd like to buy a Pelican case and custom cut the padding to fit my detector if I take it on another trip. But in my luggage it did just fine.

I'm not sure if they'd let you carry it on or not. I'm sure you could put most detectors into a case that would fit in overhead. Just don't plan on them allowing you to bring your digging tools as carry on :grin:.

I took mine to the Dominican Republic last year and didnt have any problems. I had it broken down, batteries out and carried it with me on every flight. I was a little nervous going back through customs when leaving the Dominican Republic airport since they were very scrict on what could leave but no one said a word. If your worried, just call your airline and ask. Im sure they'll tell you to just take the batteries out.

Carried mine on the plane in a backpack. Told them at each checkpoint that I had a metal detector and not one of them seemed to care at all. Although I did get stopped at one scanner because I had a couple water bottles in my bag. So don't worry about the detector, just don't bring any water.

Does anyone know the rules or any tips on taking my detector with me on a plane? Or perhaps there is a thread on the forum i am missing? I really want to take it on as a carry on and not check it if possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Good question. I am going to fly soon also with my ACE250 overseas.
In 2008 I flew overseas also with my old Wildcat detector in my suitcase.
I only took the batteries out.Nobody gave me problems at the customs.
Hope this next time will also be the same :roll::cool:
Good luck to you too.

PS.:
here is a link to my thread, some time ago:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=97298

Attachments

• wildcat 002.jpg
    wildcat 002.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 446
  • wildcat 001.jpg
    wildcat 001.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 436
I've not had any problem in the US.

When I was returing from England with one. They did not like it as a carry on, made me check it and pay for it!

Jeff

Carried mine on the plane in a backpack.

That was my plan when I was backpack shopping for a domestic trip. My ACE 250 broke down nicely, but one piece was a tight fit. If it fits in a backpack, that counts as your "personal item" so you can still have another carry-on. Hopefully I can get back to Jamaica soon and tear up the beach there.

depending on what part of jamaica your at dont be out after dark kinda deal, I went there in February

i have no experience per se, but in today's heightened security i would just make sure to put it somewhere where they can open the bag and see it without emptying the bag. I've heard lots of stories of bags getting opened because a clock radio or something was in there, and stuff getting tossed everywhere/ lost/ ruined because they had to dig it out of the bottom of the bag.

Air travel with detector

Took mine to the Philippines , broke down no batteries and manual in bag and sales ticket to prove bought here, No problems.

Brought my xcal to the Bahamas in my checked bag. Had no problems getting there. On the way back they opened my bag, I had a picture of the assembled detector and a manual showing what it was. Only thing missing, my rum cake! It either fell out or someone was hungry...

Just got back from CA

Took my AT Pro in carry on bag. Did get checked a second time on way out but that was probably because my Lesche was in the bag too!
Whoops!
Amazed they let it through.
Obviously put my digger in checked bag on way back.

I use an aluminum carry case with padding similar to the one on the link above. I break down my DF into smallest possible parts, stuff them into the case, put the manual on top and close the case but do not lock. The Al case goes into the duffel bag or suitcase depending on the luggage I travel with. The tubes that do not fit into the Al case go into the luggage. I passed security in Portland, OR in 2010 going to Aruba and in Seattle, WA in 2012 going to St Martin never had any questions.

I bought a tennis bag for my ACE250.I can carry all my outfit
there and in the flight too.

Attachments

• funda tenis 002.jpg
    funda tenis 002.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 343
Back
Top Bottom