Pull tabs and gold.....

Silver Strike

Forum Supporter
So I've taken the 100 pull tab challenge 4 times over. Dug many many nickels. Dug more foil than should be legal. WHERES THE GOLD!?!?:mad: Three years of it and not a single glimpse of gold jewelery. Pull tab after pull tab, I'll keep going. just had to vent, sorry.

3 years, eh? Yeah, I can understand how that is frustrating.
I've only been doing this since December and every time I get a low tone I think "this could be it!"....so far it's been pull tabs, nickels, pennies, foil bottle seals, and wadded up gum wrappers. However, I still enjoy the hunting aspect and and getting clad isn't exactly crud, so we'll see how I feel in three years if I don't find something more exciting between now and then. Good luck. I hope you get a payout soon. Where do you primarily hunt (parks, beaches, etc.)?

I know how you feel. Last year I got so tired of digging pulltabs and foil that I eventually started passing on those signals in high trash areas. This year I have made it a point to dig all those signals that I know in my mind will be a pulltab. Well, hundreds of pulltabs later I still have no gold. The good news is that I have greatly increased my nickels to other clad ratio over last year. So far my nickel count is roughly the same as my dime count.

But yet tomorrow you could dig 3 pieces of gold. :) I don't know, I find what I consider my fair share of gold when I hunt in the dirt. But if I was having your luck I might be frustrated. Do you have any freshwater beaches near you? If so then try the grassy areas around them. I think I've found more gold in those areas than anywhere else. Also I see people pulling gold from schools a bit, kids are good at losing stuff, so try the local schools. Private homes I don't find as much gold at. Just not as much volume of people plus I think people tend to look harder if they know they lost their item in the yard.

The gold has to be there to begin with. Do you go to the areas where they wear it the most ? Find that and up your odds greatly, Steve in so az

Well the closest to gold I have in my first year is plated chinsy stuff. There are so many targets I have yet to find, and I keep having to tell myself that it will happen.

I hunt schools, athletic fields, tot lots, parks, homes. All places where any other Joe finds rings and jewelery all day. There are no freshwater beaches around me.

My pulltab digging finally paid off last week, I know how you feel,
keep digging the gold will come. Pics of 7.5 gram 10k and a class ring
Goodluck and HH

Attachments

• DSCN1271.jpg
    DSCN1271.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 522
I kept all my pulltabs in a bucket till I got my first gold ring......I hunt mostly houses. I had almost 2,000 pulltabs before my first gold ring.....was it worth it???

You betcha!!! the day you pull that gold ring, you will forget about all them pesky pulltabs.

My gold ring finds came in all over the place.
A really small one at about iron, 2 at foil, 1 at nickel, 1 at tabs, 4 at zinc.
Every one was a surprise...and you should see my trash pile, and my zinc penny hoard.
Dig most everything you can and the numbers say you will have a better chance.

Thanks guys. I do dig almost everything that is reasonably solid. I do however seem to avoid those 60's zinc signals though. I know I should dig em too but I just cant do it. :lol: 2,000 P.T.'s till your first? Oh my.

Think of it like this:

Someone pulls a pull-tab off of their beer or soda, they toss it aside. No value to them whatsoever.

Someone drops a ring, you know they're looking for it until they either find it, or the length of the hunt exceeds the value of the ring and they give up.

The year is 1940 and you drop a dime. Do you look for it in the grass? No.

What I'm saying is, is that we find the majority of stuff people didn't wanna look for or care to keep when they lost or dropped it. The gold is scarce because if I dropped my ring I'd be out there every day until I found it. That's different on the beach because it's harder to find, but on land they'll search for it for a long time. The pull-tabs to gold rings ratio isn't even worth it for me to waste my time digging those signals. I'm a silver coin hunter, and I'm happy with that. I skip shallow penny signals all the time, and only dig deeper targets if the numbers would usually be !!!! on the surface. Don't worry about finding the gold that much. One day you'll find it, and when that day happens you'll be the happiest hunter ever. Good luck!

try this

This opened my eyes big time... Please try This if you have not already... Find a thin gold came ring.... Put in small plastic bag. Dig a hole in grass... About 4 inches deep. Bury the thin gold ring... Cover it etc... Of course don't lose track of where it is lol. Now... Step back 5 to ten steps... Hunt your normal way.... Swing speed etc... Did you hit it? If not... Turn down your disc... Try again.

What made a diff for me.... I tried that little experiendmt... Failed. Even in min... It was a maybe in the way I hunt.

Now... I hunt in all metal. Get I hit.. check it against disc set to min.... Sounds the same... It get dug. A little different... May get dug. Gone In my min check... I pass. Have added over 15 gold rings that way.

Anyways... This little experiment was am eye opener for me.

Now.... If the way you hunt would have nailed it... Hunt every inch... Try different places. I will truly clear a park.... Doing 40 by 40 foot sections. Seems to help. Good luck.

Have fun... Relax. It will come.

Ron

Luck has a major part to play...I started digging every thing above iron a few days back,within 10 targets I had a 14k gold ring in my hand. I was shocked! so last night and tonight I spent about two hours in my courtyard .... I dug about 25 pull tabs, a bulging pocket full of can shreds, 12 nickles, 3 quarters and a hot wheel car...

Thanks guys. I do dig almost everything that is reasonably solid. I do however seem to avoid those 60's zinc signals though. I know I should dig em too but I just cant do it. :lol: 2,000 P.T.'s till your first? Oh my.

You might want to change your mind about this zinc stuff.
You might have passed by gold several times but never knew it.
These are 3 rings I have found since December, all came in at lower end zinc signals.

P1020775.jpg ring gold.jpg

Add this one below that I found last August, also at that same lower end zinc range, and you can see why I don't ever have any problems digging any zinc signals I come across.
As a matter of fact, because of these finds, I must dig all zinc signals.
Every experience I had at the moment when these things popped up out of the ground instead of a zinc penny is still fresh in my mind like it just happened...and I want to feel that again.
What you are looking at is about $1250 worth of gold at current melt price.

P1010780.jpg

Silver,

I don't know about the F-75, but the M6 loves gold jewelry.

m6discsetting001.jpg

Put your DISC to about 9 o'clock, just above nails. You'll pick up any 10k, 14k, 18k necklaces and bracelets that are there. I've found rings, necklaces, one bracelet and of course silver with it set that way. What I normally do with the M6 is set the DISC there, then turn on Tone ID by pushing the trigger forward and leaving it there. I listen for high tones and for low tones, if the middle tones are brief and repeatable then I'll dig those too although lots of trash can fool you. Usually bracelets and necklaces will come in as a low tone and the silver/clad/copper will come in as the highest tone.

When you get good just turn the DISC knob all the way to the left and the iron will come in as the lowest town with the gold bracelets and jewelry right above that.

If you run across a hard hitting odd shape object it could be jewelry. The M6 does hit hard on 14k gold and 18k gold. I've never found anything 10k but only because it wasn't in the ground or the sand where I was detecting.

Silver,

I don't know about the F-75, but the M6 loves gold jewelry.

Put your DISC to about 9 o'clock, just above nails. You'll pick up any 10k, 14k, 18k necklaces and bracelets that are there. I've found rings, necklaces, one bracelet and of course silver with it set that way. What I normally do with the M6 is set the DISC there, then turn on Tone ID by pushing the trigger forward and leaving it there. I listen for high tones and for low tones, if the middle tones are brief and repeatable then I'll dig those too although lots of trash can fool you. Usually bracelets and necklaces will come in as a low tone and the silver/clad/copper will come in as the highest tone.

If you run across a hard hitting odd shape object it could be jewelry. The M6 does hit hard on 14k gold and 18k gold. I've never found anything 10k but only because it wasn't in the ground or the sand where I was detecting.

Thats exactly how I run!:D Love my M6. I think it may need a tune up though, she has started to chatter even at the factory sens setting..but I'm getting used to it..

Back
Top Bottom