Avoiding "new" penny and nickel boxes

Dougmeister

Elite Member
Some banks provide them with "holes" so you can see before you open the box, others don't.

Has anyone found a tactful way to ask only for boxes with older coins?

Has anyone ever seen that coins were new and asked for another box? Ever opened it up right there and checked? I think they'd frown on that...

I doubt it matters with pennies. ive never had even a full roll of coins from the past decade.

Brinks penny boxes are closed and you could get old coins or brand new ones.

String and Sons have the holes in to where you can see if you are getting a box of brand new cents.

Try going to your bank and ask for coins off of their machine that the customers bring in. Also, let them know you will take them back to a DIFFERENT bank.

If your talking about getting the ones you already searched back just mark each roll and ask them to check it, I do this and they gladly check the box before giving it to me, they also inform the new tellers on occasion, I also have quite a lot in there bank in savings/checking so that may or may not help as well.

If your talking about getting the ones you already searched back just mark each roll and ask them to check it, I do this and they gladly check the box before giving it to me, they also inform the new tellers on occasion, I also have quite a lot in there bank in savings/checking so that may or may not help as well.

I'm marking the rolls of stuff I'm turning into one of my banks. Picked up from one bank but returning rolls to another. Only have so many rolls so have to do half my box of nickels rolled. Then gonna dump the rest at my credit union coin machine. Think that will be my standard choice from now on. It's kind of a pain to roll 50 rolls of nickels again lol.

Of all my banks, only one small credit union has a coin counter, and there are many banks in town (dozens). Therefore, I can easily buy thousands of dollars in customer-rolled coin a each month. This is your best chance for good finds, if possible.

Back
Top Bottom